LJWorld.com weblogs Operation 100 News blog

Air-ambulance transports man who fell 20 feet in Lawrence

Last updated: 3:56 a.m.

Operation 100 News report

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire Medical ordered a LifeStar air-ambulance after a, 24-year-old, man fell approximately 20 feet from a balcony into the alley below. It happened near 9th and Massachusetts Streets

Emergency crews were called just after 1 a.m. to the alley behind the Jazzhaus, 926 Massachusetts Street.

Medics reported critical injuries but, later amended to serious injuries. The man was alert, conscious and talking.

Police say the man fell down a back staircase from the balcony into the alley and then tried to walk away with his friends. He walked about 25 yards and then became lightheaded. That is when his friends called for an ambulance.

At the time he was transported by LifeStar he was said to be complaining of elbow pain.

Lawrence Police continue to investigate the circumstances surrounding the man's fall.

LifeStar transported the injured man from the athletic fields at Central Junior High School, 1400 Massachusetts Street to the University of Kansas Hospital in Kansas City, Kansas.

Continued below map.

Google Earth view of the scene and helicopter landing zone.

Google Earth view of the scene and helicopter landing zone. by Mike Frizzell

Stay with Operation 100 News on this blog and Twitter for updates as more details become available. Learn how to receive breaking news updates here. For a full look at incidents from Douglas and Johnson counties this morning, take a look at the Operation 100 News twitter feed using the link above.

Operation 100 News' listening hours as well as contact information is located on our Facebook page. Don't forget to give us a "Like" while you are there.

Comments

broddie 7 months, 3 weeks ago

back in 1993, on my birthday, I got loaded at the Jazzhaus. I tripped on those back stairs, went head over heels forward and landed on my FEET, with only a slight scrape on my arm.

The sad thing is that NOBODY saw it. But let me tell ya it happened.

RubyVrooom 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I was wrong about the balcony. The Jazzhaus says: "I guess it's being reported that a guy fell off our back deck but he actually tripped in the alley. We pray for speedy healing."

Rachael Sudlow 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Tuesday night is $1.50 anything right? Sounds like he had a LOT of drinks...

Steven Gaudreau 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I would assume the man was in an area that was not the "balcony". The areas by the edge of the roof are easily accessible and are not designated as balcony area for the biz. It is easy to understand why areas such as this are not made to be more safe by the fire dept safety regs due to the back log of "couches on porches" which are a massive threat to our community. I hope the Jazz Haus has their liability paid up to date because I would imagine there is already a line of scum bag attorneys outside his hospital door wiping their chins from the saliva dripping down them.

Adrienne Sanders 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Did the balcony railing break or was he climbing on it or something? Unlike some past situations where there have been falls, the balcony behind Jazzhaus is actually meant to be a balcony and I'm not sure how you'd fall off it under normal circumstances, even if drunk.
Wishing this young man a speedy recovery.

Violet 7 months, 3 weeks ago

We live near 14th and Connecticut and was up with my baby when this happened - the helicopter was SO loud! Turns out it was right in our backyard, so no wonder. Hope this guy is alright and agree that drinking + balcony = bad news.

Carol Bowen 7 months, 3 weeks ago

My first assumption was drinking, too, but the pollen count is extremely high right now. It could have been vertigo, drinking, both, or neither.

oneeye_wilbur 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Fell 20 feet from high or 20 feet from 9th and Mass ?

Hard to believe one would be walking if they fell 20 feet which is over two stories.

This should turn out to be interesting as to what happened.