LJWorld.com weblogs Operation 100 News blog

December 11th Early Morning Law Enforcement & Fire/Medical wrap up

Lawrence Police were called out to investigate a disturbance in the 2400 block of Brookside Drive just before 3 a.m. this morning. Police requested Medics respond to the scene for an "assault victim with multiple lacerations to the face." Medics treated one person on the scene, no one was transported by Medics to the hospital.

Officers investigated a non injury accident in the 200 block of N 2nd Street at 3:30 a.m..

At 3:40 a.m., Police were called to the 6300 block of Candy Lane for a report of Criminal Damage. There was not much information, over the scanner, regarding what was damaged or a possible suspect(s).

Possibly related to the Criminal Damage, at 3:55 a.m., a Lawrence Police Officer called for additional units to respond to the 6300 block of Candy Lane. The Officer reported an armed subject inside a residence. Dispatchers relayed the "Officer needs assistance" and at least 9 units answered the call for help. The subject was quickly detained and several Police units were allowed to clear from the call. It was not clear what type of weapon the subject was armed with. No injuries were reported related to the incident.

Minutes after 4 a.m., KU Public Safety and LDCFM responded to Ellsworth Hall to investigate a fire alarm sounding on the 10th floor of the building. KUPD determined the alarm to be related to the "discharge of a fire extinguisher in the 10th floor stairwell." LDCFM arrived on scene and also determined the same cause. There were no reports of any damage or fire and the alarm was reset prior to KUPD and LDCFM leaving the scene.

None of this mornings activity resulted in any serious injuries.

Sadly, over the past few weeks there has been a spike in suicide attempts throughout my listening area. As this is one of the scanner calls that is never easy to hear. I urge anyone struggling with depression to talk to someone. Here is a message from Kansas City's Fox 4, WDAF, on the loss of their friend, morning Meteorologist Don Harman and Don's struggle with depression. LINK to story and video. As always, let's remember to keep any comments appropriate.

The activity blogged here is only a sampling of some of the things that Douglas County Law Enforcement and Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical respond on. To see a complete list of Lawrence Police activity, the department has that available on their website along with several easy to use maps that show approximate locations for Police activity.

Some of the activity blogged above was reported as it was unfolding by Operation 100 News. Learn how to receive breaking news updates here.

My listening hours as well as contact information is located on my Facebook page. Don't forget to give me a "Like" while you are there.

Comments

tombstone 2 years, 4 months ago

Tracy you don't know what you're talking about. Those units on candy ln don't have basements so shut up an mind your own buisness.

sunny 2 years, 4 months ago

It's no wonder there are so many suicide attempts. People are depressed with the state of the economy! Where are the jobs that last stimulus package was suppossed to produce?

SWJayhawk13 2 years, 4 months ago

I also feel the need to mention that although the units look nice, everything is crappily built. Candy Lane was a nightmare.

SWJayhawk13 2 years, 4 months ago

As someone who used to live out at Candy Lane (and hated it), I can tell you it is NOT low-cost living. Those units are ridiculously over-priced (when we moved in, it was $1300/mo for a 4b/3.5b), and the landlords continue to jack the prices up. That was one of many reasons we moved out after a year (we tried to move out sooner, but the landlords lied to us numerous times about the sub-leasing policy).

That being said, I'm about 99% sure at least two of our former neighbors were drug dealers. I had to call the police on our neighbor literally every Saturday for throwing wild parties that involved them trashing our yard, blocking in our driveway, etc. I can't explain Candy Lane. The units are very nice, and the landlords play it up to be this fancy neighborhood for families and young working professionals, but you move out there and it's a hot mess. I hated it and I hated the landlords even more. I never felt unsafe in the neighborhood, and there were some very nice small families in that neighborhood, but the majority of the people out there are sketchy as all get-out.

They don't violate the new occupancy codes either. My former roommate and I approached KU Legal Services for Students about that exact issue, mainly because the landlord wasn't giving us a straight issue about whether we could have a fourth roommate or not, and LSS informed us that we could because Candy Lane was not zoned as single-family units. That being said, they should be. The neighbors that I had to call the cops on had 8 college guys living in a 4-bedroom house. We informed the landlords of this and they literally didn't do anything.

tracey_gold 2 years, 4 months ago

I almost rented a townhouse there with a couple friends my senior year. The unit smelled like some kind of chemical fall out. Also the person showing us the property wouldn't let us check out the basement. Luckily we moved into a nicer place in the student ghetto.

kernal 2 years, 4 months ago

Most of those are townhouse rentals, many of them four bedrooms. Would not be surprised if some of those units violate the city occupancy code given the activities out there.

dumbkansans 2 years, 4 months ago

When I lived at Pinnacle Woods you would hear sirens going there almost daily. I knew someone who lived there and I'd say the reason for all the trashiness is the low cost of living.

brewmaster 2 years, 4 months ago

It's unfortunate and odd for a new development, but that Candy Lane circle of weird square houses on the west edge of Clinton Parkway is pocket of crime, drugs and thugs. It is common for LPD to be called out to that area.