LJWorld.com weblogs Operation 100 News blog

Gunshots, Fireworks, Marijuana and a Flaming Toilet

The overnight hours in Lawrence was started off with a bang. Just after 11:15 p.m. LPD responded to the area of 6th and Florida Street on a report of the sound of gunshots. The caller was not sure which direction the shots sounded to be coming from but did advise dispatchers that the first shot sounded like it was fired inside, the following two sounded like they were fired outside. Police responded to the area and were unable to locate anything.

Just minutes after the sound of gunshots call Police dispatchers received multiple calls regarding fireworks in the area of 15th and Massachusetts Street. Police again responded to the area and were unable to locate the subjects involved. A separate call for fireworks was dispatched at 2:15 a.m. in the 1300 Block of Kentucky Street, where again police responded and were unable to locate the subjects involved.

Police responded to several different calls for service in the 2300 Block of Ridge Court including a smell of marijuana complaint just before midnight and then a noise complaint an hour later.

Lawrence Fire crews responded to the 700 Block of West 25th Street after receiving a report of a ceiling fan that had caught fire and fallen to the floor. The caller also advised that a toilet was also had been on fire. Crews arrived to find that the fire had been extinguished inside the apartment. Firefighters did make access to the attic area to confirm that the fire had not spread into the area above the apartment living area and did also assist with ventilation of smoke. No injuries were reported.

A DUI arrest was made in the 2000 Block of West 21st Street at 2:20 a.m.

It was a fairly normal Saturday morning with the usual abundance of noise complaints and disturbance calls. Medics were requested to respond to at least two of the disturbance calls. No serious injuries were reported.

What is Operation 100 News?

Our Breaking News Alerts and Updates can only be found at Operation 100 News on Twitter. Or you can "Like" us on our Facebook Page.

Comments

Dispersant 3 years, 3 months ago

Oh, well, sorry about that. I had a really busy night. I was just having a little bit of fun. I do admit, the flaming toilet was a bit out of step. Anyway, I should really get some sleep. There's always tomorrow night!

slowplay 3 years, 3 months ago

What about the idiocy of actually responding to a call about the smell of marijuana? Next time I smell a fart I'm calling in to report a pollution violation.

lawrence_citizen 3 years, 3 months ago

Sorry about the flaming toilet. I knew I should not have added the extra hot sauce on my Burrito King special.

Tristan Moody 3 years, 3 months ago

How exactly does a toilet catch fire??

Chelsea Kapfer 3 years, 3 months ago

That exact question has been on my mind all day. I heard the call as well....

independent_rebel 3 years, 3 months ago

Just wanted to say that his story, along with the "headline" of "Gunshots, Fireworks, Marijuana and a Flaming Toilet" should have been on the front page. Great job!

mae 3 years, 3 months ago

i've lived in every area. honestly every street corner mentioned and this is still safer than wichita where i'm at now.

mae 3 years, 3 months ago

Vinny1 3 years, 3 months ago

Someone called the cops on "the smell of marijuana"?

Really?

Bucker00 3 years, 3 months ago

What an amusing headline! Could it be that fireworks were confused with gunshots? A ceiling fan catching fire is not that surprising, but the toilet? That brings to mind so many questions!

scopi_guy 3 years, 3 months ago

I don't care who you are or what kind of life you've led, the title of this blog should make most everyone look twice! It made me look.

Chelsea Kapfer 3 years, 3 months ago

Great job! Just a little extra tidbit....IF i heard this right, there was a call at about 5am because a guy at the Kwik Shop was snorting sugar by the coffee station. Truth is stranger than fiction.

Calliope877 3 years, 3 months ago

Oh, NO! Someone in Lawrence was smoking weed!!! gasp

Mike Frizzell 3 years, 3 months ago

Received a few requests asking for it. I have the audio from the call. Condensed down to just under 1 minute of audio. Includes the Dispatcher informing units of the caller's claim that his toilet had been on fire.

Chelsea Kapfer 3 years, 2 months ago

I can't wait to hear that over the scanner. best headline ever/