LJWorld.com weblogs The Newell Post
Cliff's Notes: Turner Gill press conference, 9/6/11
Here is the Cliff's Notes version of Kansas football coach Turner Gill's comments at his weekly press conference today.
If you want to get live updates from each week's press conference, be sure to follow us on Twitter (@kusports).
• Gill says KU improved its speed and passion last week. "Passion" was the word of the week.
• Gill was happy with his team's ball security offensively. The offense also got off to a good start.
• Gill was pleased that his defense allowed just three points in the first half. He also was happy his defense tallied three sacks and held McNeese State to under 100 yards rushing.
• KU's special teams won four out of six phases against McNeese State. KU did not win kickoff or kickoff return but won the other four.
• Receiver Daymond Patterson is doubtful against Northern Illinois. Receiver Christian Matthews is out for violating team rules. Quarterback Jordan Webb is just fine and will play.
• Gill says the keys against Northern Illinois are: 1) to be plus-two in turnover margin; 2) have a two-to-one ratio when it comes to 20-plus-yard plays; and 3) make sure KU wins four or more phases in special teams.
• "Focus" is the word of the week. KU needs to key in on the small details.
• Running back Darrian Miller talked about committing to KU early, then backed off that for short time to weigh his options. He later gave his full commitment to KU. Gill says it's nice to have K.C. area players be part of Kansas football.
• Gill thought linebacker Tunde Bakare showed his explosiveness against McNeese State. He made plays that some guys can't make. Gill also thought Darius Willis was steady.