LJWorld.com weblogs The Newell Post
Cliff's Notes: Turner Gill press conference, 9/27/11
Here is the Cliff's Notes version of Kansas football coach Turner Gill's comments at his weekly press conference today.
If you want to get live updates from each week's press conference, be sure to follow us on Twitter (@kusports).
• Cornerback Isiah Barfield is questionable for the Texas Tech game with an ankle injury. The coaches will see how he does over the next two or three days. Gill thinks he will be available.
• Gill says coaches have looked at personnel and schemes this week in trying to improve the defense. There could be personnel changes, with a few different guys getting more snaps.
• Getting defensive tackle Pat Dorsey back from injury will help KU. It adds depth and gives KU an experienced player.
• The receiver rotation should be more stable going forward. Six to seven guys should play a majority of the time. Four to five will get a majority of the repetitions.
• Outside linebacker Toben Opurum has played well. Gill thinks he will make more plays going forward, as teams will be throwing more. Opurum has a good motor playing off the edge.
• Gill says the KU coaches are still trying to best fit their schemes defensively to their personnel. The Jayhawks are still trying to find their identity defensively.
• Quarterback Jordan Webb has done a great job with his footwork this year. His feet have been in position to make a good throw. He's improved on that this season. He's matured like the coaches hoped he would.