LJWorld.com weblogs The Newell Post
Cliff's Notes: Turner Gill press conference, 9/7/10
Here is the Cliff's Notes version of Kansas football coach Turner Gill's comments at his weekly press conference today.
If you want to get live updates from each week's press conference, be sure to follow us on Twitter (@kusports). Full audio has been posted.
• KU coach Turner Gill started his press conference by talking about positives: defense (only giving up six points is always a good effort), kickoff returns and kickoffs from freshman Ron Doherty.
• Only positive from offense: KU knows where it stands now.
• KU's defense will have to be disciplined against Georgia Tech's option. KU defensive coordinator Carl Torbush played Georgia Tech, so that will help with familiarity. KU cornerbacks coach Vic Shealy also worked at Air Force, so he has extensive knowledge of an offense similar to Georgia Tech's.
• Gill says the keys to the game: 1. Score a touchdown and score often; 2. Limit big plays; 3. Be plus-two on turnover margin.
• Tyrone Sellers is out for 3-4 weeks with a leg injury. Deshaun Sands is questionable with an injury.
• Gill says the strength of his offense is the receivers and tight ends.
• Gill rated his quarterbacks in the North Dakota State game as "OK, below average." OK, he says, is not good enough.
• True freshman James Sims will play this week. Toben Opurum will not move back to running back.
• Gill didn't think there was any lack of effort against NDSU. The loss was all about execution.
• KU's defensive front has to be physical and technique-sound against an offense like Georgia Tech's. The safeties also have to make a lot of tackles.
• Gill thinks James Sims is physical and has good feet. He also has good hands and can catch the ball.
• Quarterbacks are still being evaluated. A decision on who will play will be made soon.
• Gill says he isn't necessarily for playing two quarterbacks. He wants to do what is going to make the team most successful.
• Gill says "it's possible" KU might have to be more of a passing team than running team this year so that the team plays to its strengths.
• Gill believes the guys were ready to play. The execution just wasn't there on a consistent basis.