LJWorld.com weblogs The Newell Post
Cliff's Notes: Turner Gill press conference, 11/9/10
Here is the Cliff's Notes version of Kansas football coach Turner Gill's comments at his weekly press conference today.
If you want to get live updates from each week's press conference, be sure to follow us on Twitter (@kusports).
• Nebraska coach Bo Pelini is one of the best defensive coaches around. Gill coached with him one year at NU.
• Gill's keys to the game against NU: 1. Take care of the football; 2. Get three or more turnovers; 3. Continue to play relentless.
• Quinn Mecham will be KU's starter at quarterback. The backup quarterback position is still being evaluated. Jordan Webb was available last week, but he wasn't 100 percent. Gill said Mecham would have been chosen as the starter this week regardless of Webb's injury status.
• KU safety Lubbock Smith is doubtful for the game with a concussion. He let the coaches know about it Sunday.
• KU was going to redshirt Mecham this year if both Webb and Kale Pick hadn't gotten hurt.
• When you're a coach, you're in-tuned to what you're trying to get done. Gill says the game is not about him. It's about the players. This game is about Nebraska playing Kansas.
• Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne called Gill earlier this week and left him a message on his phone. Gill hasn't called him back yet.
• Gill says building relationships was the most important thing he learned from Osborne. Everyone felt valuable in Osborne's program.
• Gill says running back James Sims seems to get stronger the more carries he gets. He still needs to improve his pass protection.