LJWorld.com weblogs The Newell Post

Transfer could bring spark to KU basketball

I've got good news for Kansas fans. I know of a college basketball transfer* who wants to play at KU.

He played major Division I basketball last year and is looking for more minutes this upcoming season.

He's also a big man. And after KU losing Cole Aldrich to the NBA, the Jayhawks could use a talented big guy in the middle.

This player only received limited minutes last year at his school, but in the time he was in, he put up some impressive numbers.

Here are some of his statistics compared to Aldrich last year.

As you can see, many of Player X's statistics were eerily similar to Aldrich's last year.

Ready for more good news? He'll be eligible next year for the Jayhawks. That's because he's already on the team.

That's right, "Player X" is Jeff Withey.

* — Sorry, I had to be tricky or you weren't going to be surprised.

Now I know I'm basing these numbers off an unfair sample size that is way too small to come to definite conclusions (45 minutes for Withey last year). And, yes, Withey did make it into the game for mop-up duty quite a few times.

Withey still performed best during the games he received extended minutes. In 12 minutes against Iowa State, he scored eight points (4-for-6 shooting) to go with five rebounds, a block and turnover. In nine minutes against Nebraska, he posted four points (1-for-3 shooting) to go with six rebounds, two blocks, one steal and no turnovers.

Also, because he was only eligible at semester, 13 of the 15 games he played in were during the Big 12 season or later.

One of KU's major needs next year will be a defensive presence in the middle. The Jayhawks were the top team in the nation in two-point field-goal percentage last season, and Aldrich was the main reason for that by blocking and altering shots as a defensive presence inside.

Judging from his block and rebounding numbers above, Withey has the potential to be that kind of defensive player for KU next season.

Should KU expect the same statistical production out of Withey with more minutes next season? Probably not.

Still, the seven-footer deserves a chance to see if he can keep his Aldrichian pace with extended playing time in 2010-11.

Comments

huskerpower 4 years, 4 months ago

Interesting way of looking at it...

Should be interesting to see how Withey's body has progressed over the off-season.

shleppy 4 years, 4 months ago

cole didnt graduate. he left for the nba.

hail2oldku 4 years, 4 months ago

He's closer to his degree than 90% of the students that entered KU at the same time he did.

Plus he's accomplished what most of those students came to school for, he's found himself a high paying job that will allow him to live comfortably.

drnater 4 years, 4 months ago

Wow, didnt graduate but is about to. I believe he was gonna do online classes during this summer for his final credits and will graduate. 3 years of fun in college, a piece of paper that will mean nothing after the contract he'll sign since he'll be making a lil over 2 mill a year. So shleppy, quit hating because that fool used college for what its always been meant for, getting prepared for the pro's! Nobody likes haterade!

shleppy 4 years, 4 months ago

not hating, just commenting on an incorrect statement. cole is a bmf. i have nothing but respect for him.

Jesse Newell 4 years, 4 months ago

Good catch. I had the wording was wrong above. It's been fixed.

shleppy 4 years, 4 months ago

dude, just read what you've typed. if it's wrong edit first THEN post.

maxcrabb 4 years, 4 months ago

He'll finish his degree after he's earned the millions he's signing for. There's always time for that.

Dave McClain 4 years, 4 months ago

Seems to me he gets an honorary degree for financial planning for his future. Better than 99% of the real grads in their first year out.

shadowbox66044 4 years, 4 months ago

I can remember reading a similar article in the ljworld last year comparing Tyshawn Taylors freshman stats to Kirk Hinrich's freshman stats. Both were very similar in stats, but I think we know now that Tyshawn Taylor is no Kirk Hinrich.

hbjayhawk 4 years, 4 months ago

Wait a second?? Jesse!! You kill me my friend. How can you even drop #s of Jeff vs. Cole considering Jeff's #s were against walk on's from the non-conference roadkill. Not impressive. Stick to more intriguing items. I would like you to analyze some KU Football data on our "softer" big 12 schedule (historically speaking without OU, Tex on the rotation). My research shows we are bowl-bound regardless . . .

drnater 4 years, 4 months ago

You should probably reread this article, because like everyone who knows Withey's story knows he couldnt play pretty much the whole non-conference schedule because he was a transfer. Also last I checked Brackins from Iowa St. wasnt a walk-on, matter of fact I believe he just got drafted the other day. Which just so happens to be the game that Withey played the most in, and he happened to do very well that game. I think you should go check up on things before you say something else that makes you look dumb. Good article Jesse, i've been very excited to see what Withey can do and he's the reason im not sweating Aldrich leaving early. Especially since all his teammates say he's a better pure shot blocker than Cole, exciting stuff for the upcoming season!