LJWorld.com weblogs The Newell Post

KU fans: Meet your new basketball anthem

The Newell Post usually doesn't dabble in music, but this will be an exception.

A song by Krizz Kaliko will probably be one most KU fans will want to know about. Krizz Kaliko, a rapper from Kansas City, Mo., has produced a new song called "Game On" which is a tribute to the Kansas Jayhawks men's basketball team.

I have to admit that the song has a catchy beat and also a professional sound to it. You can listen to it below (don't worry, it's safe for work without any curse words).

Krizz Kaliko, who also has collaborated with K.C. rapper Tech N9ne in the past, made the song available for free download online, in case you're interested in putting the song on your iPod or iTunes.

We'll probably hear much more of this tune when the season gets here, as I can't imagine that Rock Chalk Video wouldn't want to use it for some pump-up videos at Allen Fieldhouse.

Comments

bangaranggerg 4 years, 3 months ago

It's no "Every Girl at Mizzou" but... No seriously this is my favorite song ever.

engagedecoy 4 years, 3 months ago

There are several ways you can spell it to make to same pronunciation. Plus I highly doubt that Krizz Kaliko would do anything to get to get sued by KU. Look what happened to Joe College......

Joel Hood 4 years, 3 months ago

wow - how did you get the racial detector app with your anonymous LJW profile? ; )

irunsowhat 4 years, 3 months ago

I'm not sure why Krizz Kaliko did this. I know he had his first "solo" concert in Lawrence back in January and the crowd was less than impressive, especially for such a talented artist. So, is this an attempt to create more of a buzz about himself as he continues to create a name for himself in the world of indepedent hip hop? Look at the success of Tech N9ne -- he starts each one of his tours with a show in Lawrence every August. Are they (Strange Music) attempting to replicate that establishment in Lawrence in hopes it will lead to bigger and better things? I think so. I never critique the decisions of Strange Music or the artists on the label as they are insanely successful (the number one indepedent record label in the world, I believe) but this seems to be a bit of a long shot just to gain a following. Aside from that, go to their concert tonight!

doodley 4 years, 3 months ago

Doubt that it has much to do with Lawrence, it's just a great business decision. Awesome song, good beat, hand it out for free, by the time BB season rolls around the buzz is already out, and (with permission) it becomes nationally televised at the games of one of the #1 teams in the nation. Can't beat free national coverage.

irunsowhat 4 years, 3 months ago

"I have to admit that the song has a catchy beat and also a professional sound to it."

Why wouldn't it have a professional sound to it, Mr. Newell? As I stated before, he's a nationally recognized artist who makes music as his PROFESSION. You think he would record something in his basement that sounded awful and then release it to be consumed by thousands while he tours the world?

Yes, it's rap music, but that doesn't mean it's not professional. Come on...

he_who_knows_all 4 years, 3 months ago

Anyone know the over/under on when EMAW chimes in?

N_Trenched 4 years, 3 months ago

"Got my yee haw EMAW.....eat beef"

Just not as catchy as the Jayhawk tune.

James Sneegas 4 years, 3 months ago

61 and white conservative.........Don't like rap in general..BUT... this got me going.........I vote yes! "Game On"

Priestkc31 4 years, 3 months ago

LMAO. Tech N9ne is one of the best lyricists/MCs of all time. Not many rappers come even close to his talent. What a moronic comment. As for Kaliko, he's one of the most versatile artists out there, very very talented. I cant recall anyone like Kaliko. He can rap, sing R&B, rock, reggae, hell even opera. Extremely talented artist.

This song isn't very good, but it's a freakin leftover from his new album.

And yes, Tech N9ne's label, Strange Music, is the #1 Independent label in the WORLD. He is extremely successful, they grossed about 15 million last year, which is just incredible for an Independent label. He is doing it how its suppose to be done. Non stop touring all year every year, merchandise sales & quality music, which has given Tech a HUGE die hard fan base. Most of Tech's music is epic. Of course, the people on here who don't listen to or like rap, wont care or agree because they don't know what they're talking about.

As for Mr. Newell, why wouldn't it have a professional sound? What the heck does that even mean?

rabbit 4 years, 3 months ago

This song is the BOMB! Yes play it all the games. I am sure it will hype up the players.

eastside08 4 years, 3 months ago

They just preformed this at abe and jakes. I knew they were preforming it before the dj introduced Kaliko.

TopJayhawk 4 years, 3 months ago

I haven't heard it due to being at work. I just hope they don't replace the music used during the intro video... Other than that, I want to hear it, and if most folks like it, they should play it. Maybe he made it just because he is a KU fan. Possible?

David Leathers 4 years, 3 months ago

When you do hear it you might want to rethink about replacing the intro music. This would hype so many people up and get the fans to be even louder if it's at all possible. I love the song, and I could almost bet anything that all the players have this on their I-Pod already.

I like the part where he says "We're confident, not cocky, so please dont call us conceited."

Dee Shaw 4 years, 3 months ago

Not a real big fan of rap music but I like this song. Good job Krizz. Or should I say good job "Boooy". My new rap talk.

RockChalk26 4 years, 3 months ago

I think this song is ok. I bet it helps with recruiting :)

Beate Williams 4 years, 3 months ago

I like it and I'm not one for rap. It has a kicking beat, will get people wanting to move and scream and I can hear it on Game Day all day long. I think the prospective recruits will like it and will probably know the artist. I can see the dancers really getting into it at a half time show.
There is nothing but good to this and those of you with your negativity need to go back to bed and wake up again. He must be a KU fan, he hit most all of the highlights. I'm 66 years old and I was/is ready to dance.