LJWorld.com weblogs Lawrence Weather Watch

Is anyone up for a weather competition?

You've probably seen us discussing how difficult forecasting can be at times for Kansas, especially during this past winter! A small change in the path of a system can mean the difference between rain, ice, snow and amount of snow.

It's time for you to test your skills (or luck). I wanted to see if anyone is interested in taking part in a forecasting competition, here on our blog. I will have more details/rules to come and I will also include a few blogs before we begin the competition with forecasting resources and tips. We'd keep it simple, a forecast for one day each week, to include high and low temperatures and some type of simple precipitation forecast. Again, I will have more details to come, but I first wanted to see if anyone was interested in winning bragging rights!

Please let me know if you are interested in the comments below. We will keep this to one day a week and if you miss a week, it's okay! If you are interested in the contest, but don't want to post in the comments below, you can also email me.

Comments

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 11 months ago

As someone who is of Celtic heritage I have a special connection with the elements, a singular connection one might say. One might say I have evolved to read the skies. Ready when you are, Ashley.

RoeDapple 4 years, 11 months ago

I stick my finger in the air to .. uh . ..test wind direction. Especially in rush hour traffic. Yep, sounds like fun to me!

puddleglum 4 years, 11 months ago

I am down with this big-time... just remember that I am always right.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

"Really, Elliot, unless there's some danger that I'm not already aware of lurking about, I'm certain the Order needn't waste a member to play babysitter with me tomorrow," Hermione said, a bit more snappish than she intended. Hedgefallow's cheeks reddened predictably. "Listen, Miss Granger-" "It's Hermione, Elliot ," she interrupted irritably. The formality was ridiculous- the wizard was only five years older than her, hardly ranking seniority. "-you can't be allowed to wander about London unprotected. You're not allowed to do magic until you're of age, and whatever muggle means you may have will hardly give you proper protection from a Death Eater." His last words came out suitably serious and instantly, Hermione felt ashamed. How dare she act so childishly when it was such lofty independence that led to the Department of Mysteries debacle. Hurtfully, her mind inflicted, And Sirius's death- don't forget that bit. "You're right. I'm sorry, Elliot. I'm being foolish," Hermione apologized, her brown eyes reading over the letter yet again. "I won't stay long then, so I won't use up too much of whoever comes with me's time." Instantly, the newest Order member's indignant flush eased. "It's alright; I can imagine it gets a bit tiresome. But it is all for the best, so we must

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

Really Irish? I'll see your Celtic and raise you some Welsh and German, a strong hybrid of ancient seafarers! [lol]

I'm ready for the competition.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 11 months ago

The Celts established an intricate pattern of farming that is mirrored by farmers today. They are also credited to inventing soap, chain-mail, wagon-wheel rims, horseshoes, chisels, and carpentry files. They cut roads throughout western Europe that were used for hundreds of years. The Celtic government was complex and carefully planned out.

The Celts also invented a sophisticated calendar using the moon to determine time. The bright half of the month, or the time of the waxing moon, was equal to fifteen nights. The dark half of the month, or the time of the waning moon, was equal to the other fifteen nights. They added thirty days at two and a half and three year intervals.

The Celts laid siege to the Capitol of the Roman Empire. Seven months of siege led to negotiations whereby the Celts promised to leave their siege for a tribute of one thousand pounds of gold, which the historian Pliny tells was very difficult for the entire city to muster. When the gold was being weighed, the Romans claimed the Celts were cheating with faulty weights. It was then that the Celts' leader, Brennus, threw his sword into the balance and and uttered the words vae victis "woe to the Defeated". Rome never withstood another more humiliating defeat and the Celts made an initial step of magnificent proportions into history.

Diodorus notes that: Their aspect is terrifying...They are very tall in stature, with rippling muscles under clear white skin. Their hair is blond, but not naturally so: they bleach it, to this day, artificially, washing it in lime and combing it back from their foreheads. They look like wood-demons, their hair thick and shaggy like a horse's mane. Some of them are clean shaven, but others - especially those of high rank, shave their cheeks but leave a moustache that covers the whole mouth and, when they eat and drink, acts like a sieve, trapping particles of food. But most content themselves with the weapons nature gave them: they go naked into battle...Weird, discordant horns were sounded, [they shouted in chorus with their] deep and harsh voices, they beat their swords rhythmically against their shields.

My people! Autie, hon, I have no idea whether or not my ancestors drank blood from the dead, but I do have a strange affinity for Edward.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

Hon, in case yo forgot: 291. Irish Irish (Irish Swearingen) says...

The name on my birth certificate is Leslie Jeanne Swearingen. My nickname is Irish because my maternal grandmother immigrated to this country from Ireland, and because I always loved that movie with John Wayne and Maureen O'Hara in which he calls her Irish. I did have Cleopatra on the Kaw because at the time it seemed like a cool name. Then I got bored with it. I was born at Fort Riley, Kansas because my father was in the army and stationed there.

July 16, 2009 at 8:37 p.m. ( permalink | suggest removal )

1. Irish Irish (Irish Swearingen) says...

Stat_Guys Really I don't care if you count every post or not. I used Hermione Elliot because of the Harry Potter books and Elliot was my grandmothers maiden name. Looking back now I wish I had just put up Irish in the first place as that is what everyone calls me. Enough all ready. I am crazy and stupid and I know I am. Okay, are we all happy now. And, I do mean this.I wish someone from the paper would tell me under what circumstances I can still make comments.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

^^^ in case Irish is ignorant, Saxons were germans.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

^^^ in case Irish is ignorant, Saxons were germans.

bearded_gnome 4 years, 11 months ago

1. a member of a Germanic people in ancient times dwelling near the mouth of the Elbe, a portion of whom invaded and occupiedparts of Britain in the 5th and 6th centuries. 2. the Old English dialects of the regions settled by the Saxons. 3. a native or inhabitant of Saxony in modern Germany. 4. an English person; Britisher. 5. an Anglo-Saxon. 6. (not in scholarly use) the Old English language. 7. a member of the royal house of Germany that ruled from 919 to 1024. –adjective

beatrice 4 years, 11 months ago

For each and every day, I predict that the warmest weather will be the "highs," while the coldest weather will be the "lows."

You can just forward my prize winnings now, thank you very much.

Oh, and the Celtics also won a bunch of NBA championships.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 11 months ago

Oh, Gnome, I love you, really I do. You are the peony to my clover, I pine for you, I opine for you, your words are like a soft spring breeze ruffling the clothes hung out to dry. They drive me to utter distraction. The stratus clouds are moving in and that will keep the temperature from falling too much. There may be some snow in them, but not too much. There isn't enough humidity in the air. Start doing your bending over exercises now for Saint Pat's Day. Planting taters, I mean. Bea, as of now, Boston Celtics are in good shape to win another one. Go to redsox.com to head all about their spring training. Yes, it is spring in the hearts of Red Sox nation.

Leslie Swearingen 4 years, 11 months ago

Ashley, I am very interested in this. John von Neumann, who played a major role in developing the ENIAC, wanted to “demonstrate the social and scientific potential of such a device by putting it to work on the weather.” (His motivation stemmed from his belief that if we knew how to predict the weather we might learn how to control it – and potentially use it as a powerful weapon.) Brian from Channel 9 came to the Independence, Inc. computer lab a few years ago to talk to us about how computers are used in weather forecasting. I think it is a fascinating subject even though the complexity is marvelous. Would the winner have an opportunity to watch you put together a real weather forecast and see what kind of software you use?

ameenen 4 years, 11 months ago

I will get the rules up today or tomorrow.

ameenen 4 years, 11 months ago

Check out "Try your hand at predicting the weather" for rules.