LJWorld.com weblogs Lawrence Weather Watch

When do you hang your Christmas lights?

It's like a scene from the movie "The Burbs"...standing up on the roof hanging the lights for this year, I look out and see several others doing the same thing.

It seems like more often than not, we get lucky and find some nice days right before Thanksgiving--usually on a weekend, too--that allows for some great Christmas-light-hanging weather. That got me to thinking, though. What's the latest anyone hangs their lights? Nearly everyone who does Christmas lights seems to have them up by the end of Thanksgiving weekend, but does anyone wait?

I've met people who'll wait until mid-December before decorating a Christmas tree, but this is the first time I've really had the thought cross my mind about the latest time for Christmas lights. So, let's hear it. I know some of you don't do them at all, but here are the two questions: If you do lights this time of year, do you try to do it while the weather is nice in November or hold off until a later date? Also, when's the latest you've ever gone through the work of hanging up your Christmas lights?

Comments

middlemgmt 5 years, 2 months ago

We did ours this past Wednesday. I think we were first in our neighborhood but that was when we had time!

number3of5 5 years, 2 months ago

The perfect time to put up a tree and decorations is Christmas Eve. Thanksgiving should be a time to give thanks for all that the Creator has given us, not to flaunt gaudy ornaments of the next season of expensive gifts and finery that many cannot afford but still want. So, do it on the night before Christmas and have a joyous holiday in celebration of Christ's birth, not commercialism.

Bobbi Reid 5 years, 2 months ago

Our lights went up 2 weeks ago, and our tree went up yesterday. We don't turn them on though until the day after Thanksgiving.

beawolf 5 years, 2 months ago

"Thanksgiving should be a time to give thanks for all that the Creator has given us, not to flaunt gaudy ornaments of the next season of expensive gifts and finery that many cannot afford but still want."

So you think it's better to flaunt those gaudy ornaments on the eve of the birth of Christ? They are only decorations for Pete's sake. A time to celebrate with color and lights and festive decorations. Look at it a different way, it's the beginning of a month long celebration of the joys of Christmas.

Joel Hood 5 years, 2 months ago

Depending upon weather and schedules, we try to get up all the decorations between the Sunday before and after Thanksgiving. The lights do not come on until Thanksgiving night - it is sacreligious for us to light up before then :-)

3of5 - Lighten up Francis. Holiday meaning is unique to each familiy & their traditions. Waiting until Xmas (btw - that's a chi not an X) Eve to put up lights & decorations would be ridiculous for our family. Glad it works for you though.

sinkorswim 5 years, 2 months ago

Started yesterday and will finish today when I get home from work.

Matt Warman 5 years, 2 months ago

We put up the lights Saturday and it was a nice day to be out. We will turn them on Thanksgiving night for our guests. The tree goes up the day after Thanksgiving.
Number 3 of 5, we should praise the Lord every day the best we can.

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 2 months ago

The lights look wonderful. They make everything seem different. For years I have lived in apartments so I want to give thanks to those that decorate their houses and lawns. Our family drives around Lawrence and we have a great time light gazing.

kmcd028 5 years, 2 months ago

Lights are going up tomorrow, but we used to wait until mid-Dec because we used fresh garland. After a few years of it turning brown even after a couple weeks I convinced my husband to go with artificial! He is off starting tomorrow...so hopefully all is up by the time I get home in the evening!

wn1127 5 years, 2 months ago

I put ours up Sat., for the most part, also because it was nice outside. We like to have a family "lighting ceremony" on Thanksgiving evening much like the Plaza lighting ceremony in KC. ;-)

riverdrifter 5 years, 2 months ago

You mean you're supposed to take your lights down?! Sheesh.

lawthing 5 years, 2 months ago

Mine are still glowing from last year...Dang.....Was I supposed to take them and my christmas tree down?