LJWorld.com weblogs Lawrence in the News

Proposed registry gets San Francisco attention

¢ The domestic partner registry being considered by the Lawrence City Commission got a mention by a [San Francisco Chronicle][1] columnist.Getting back on track, you should know that the Italian Senate's justice committee is considering civil union status of some sort. Italy's an unlikely spot for gay couples recognition, but so is Lawrence, Kansas, where the city commissioners announced last week that they would support a domestic partner registry.__Actually Lawrence is a university town with a liberal reputation, so it's not that surprising that the commissioners would approve a domestic partner registry. Particularly since said registry appears to be a symbolic recognition that provides no benefits. [1]: http://www.sfbaytimes.com/?sec=article&article_id=5995

Comments

doc1 7 years, 11 months ago

This just in:

People are again laughing at Lawrence.

Godot 7 years, 11 months ago

Wow.

Does Rostow actually get paid to write like that, or does she pay the publisher to print that stuff? Her writing shows she has the maturity of a sixth grader, at best.

classclown 7 years, 11 months ago

If being gay is so damn important to you go live in San Fransisco.

EXks 7 years, 11 months ago

If being gay is so damn important to you go live in San Fransisco. posted by classclown

Classclown (clown, the names suits ya) If being such a ignorant redneck is so important, pack up your trailer and go live in Arkansas, Alabama, or Missiissippi. Take your pick. Grow up, will ya!!!

EXks 7 years, 11 months ago

I am sure the rest of the country is having a good laugh on the misery we are suffering here in powderpuffville. consumer1

you got it all wrong ma'am, they're laughing at hicks like you

Kelly Powell 7 years, 11 months ago

once again i call foul....prove to me these posters live a rural lifestyle....most rednecks i know give a rats ass if you are gay....they care more if you are being a insufferable drama queen who is flaming like a tanker fire.....there is a distinction.

mom_of_three 7 years, 11 months ago

"People are again laughing at Lawrence"

What do you mean, again? I think they are still laughing from the evolution/intelligent design debacle.

Weezy_Jefferson 7 years, 11 months ago

Hey, right_thinker is a Mamas and Papas fan! Who knew?

rubix 7 years, 11 months ago

This argument is like trying to win a pissing contest into the wind. Just keep your mouth shut and it will only end up half as bad.

Weezy_Jefferson 7 years, 11 months ago

Ladies and gentlemen, classclown will be taking his show on the road at Stanford and Sons on January 25 and at Argosy Casino on February 10. He'll then spend the next 3 weeks at the various hot spots in Branson, Missouri.

classclown 7 years, 11 months ago

jayheel 7 years, 11 months ago

What's the big deal about a registry? When me and my (female) wife got hitched, we were registered at Walmart and Vanderbilt's. Heck, we even registered when we had our two chil'rens. Yippee for gifts. YEEEHAWW

rubix 7 years, 11 months ago

I think the idea here is that everyone should get everything that everyone else has. I want a $2 million home. I want a Bentley and a Ferrari for the nice days I drive to work. The sad thing is, not everyone gets what everyone else has. Its called life. Yes, not fair, not always the best for everyone. Tough. Its how it is. If it changes, great. If not, ok.

rubix 7 years, 11 months ago

You make it sould like I care what other people think of me. Sorry, you are wrong. I am open for everyone to be happy, believe in whatever religion/political view/relationship status they want. Apparently, you know so much about me, yet have never met me and want so sum up my thoughts in a few words. Super, hope you have a great time spending your days stewing over my ideas. My position on this topic lies with the fact that either way doesn't matter to me.

Crispian Paul 7 years, 11 months ago

Posted by classclown (anonymous) on January 18, 2007 at 11:51 a.m. (Suggest removal)

If being gay is so damn important to you go live in San Fransisco.

EXks 7 years, 11 months ago

Who are you callin Ma'am princess? consumer1

MA'Am, if the high heel fits, wear it, it matches your 'masculinity'

and i'm a QUEEN, Not a low life princess....LOL

EXks 7 years, 11 months ago

Seriously, the implication here is that "being gay" is a choice like being a pacifist or a gun toter... classclown

Hmmmm, as IF you're an expert? Or spoken from experience?

classclown 7 years, 11 months ago

Posted by EXks (anonymous) on January 18, 2007 at 3:22 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Hmmmm, as IF you're an expert? Or spoken from experience?

=========================================

You're qouting the wrong person.

Weezy_Jefferson 7 years, 11 months ago

I used to work for a publishing company and help the overseas editors in India with their American English usage. It is one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do---linguistics officials have often said that the myriad rules and idiosyncracies of American English make it one of the most difficult languages to learn, and I whole-heartedly agree. Learning it as a native speaker is one thing, teaching it to non--native speakers is another.

Yes, it was one of the most difficult things I've ever had to do; another would be to try to talk some sense into some of these reader-reaction posters who refuse to take their fingers out of their ears and listen to anybody who doesn't agree with them. I'm not a fan of stereotypes, but some of the above comments do nothing but reinforce of few of them. That's a shame.

hottruckinmama 7 years, 11 months ago

Weezy_Jefferson...love your handle! i like all those old 70's shows. jeffersons sanford and son all in the family those really were the days.

Weezy_Jefferson 7 years, 11 months ago

You know what they say: Fish don't fry in the kitchen; beans don't burn on the grill...

rubix 7 years, 11 months ago

I have said it before; here it comes again. Arguing online is like being in a pissing contest, facing the wind. Keep your mouth shut and you find out fast that it's whole lot better for you.