LJWorld.com weblogs Lawrence in the News

KU gets Hollywood snub - again

¢ Filming will begin next month for a big-time movie - starring Anthony Hopkins - set at Kansas University. It's called "The City of Your Final Destination." But don't expect cameras in Lawrence - they're filming the movie at the University of Colorado in Boulder, the [Denver Post][1] reports.The movie actually comes down at the University of Kansas - they just have to point the camera away from the Flatirons._You might remember part of the Jack Nicholson move "About Schmidt" was set at KU, too - but it was filmed in Nebraska.¢ The late John McLendon, a former KU basketball star and 1978 inductee into the Basketball Hall of Fame, is being inducted into the Athletics Hall of Fame at Cleveland State, where he coached and was an administrator. Read about the induction in the [Cleveland Plain Dealer][2]. McLendon, a 1978 inductee into the Basketball Hall of Fame, was a student at the University of Kansas and learned the game from its inventor, Dr. James Naismith. McLendon became the first African-American head coach at an integrated university when he took over as head coach at CSU in September 1966. He led the Vikings to a 27-42 record in three seasons.¢ A KU professor has made a "Strange but true health advice" column in "Women's Health" magazine. Dr. Audrey Kunin of the KU Medical Center says toothpaste can help clear up acne breakouts. The column is reprinted in the [Lansing State Journal][3]._Toothpaste can clear up a breakout. The paste is drying and absorbs oil, so it can help zap zits, particularly whiteheads, says Audrey Kunin, M.D., associate clinical instructor of dermatology at the University of Kansas School of Medicine. But choose wisely: Avoid bleaching varieties because they contain hydrogen peroxide, which can burn skin, Dr. Kunin warns. And red pastes, gels or other formulations with cinnamon can be irritating. [1]: http://origin.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_4996734 [2]: http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1168596382278740.xml&coll=2 [3]: http://www.lsj.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070112/LIFE02/701120307/1082/life

Comments

preebo 7 years, 6 months ago

As a resident of Lawrence, but an alum of CU I cannot be too upset. Boulder is a beautiful campus, but then again so is Lawrence (but not as...). Sorry Lawrence, you'll get 'em next time.

Centrist 7 years, 6 months ago

So what!

I watch "Supernatural" and it's filmed in Canada, but the series started out supposedly in Lawrence KS.

Nothing to get your knickers in a knot over, really ... although it is a bit weird that they would go to an actual University, but not the real one.

But that's Hollywood. Good thing Sir Anthony is a great actor.

ryanjasondesch 7 years, 6 months ago

So why not make the set the University of Colorado? Its like in National Lampoon's Vacation, Cousin Eddy supposedly lives in Kansas, but its filmed in eastern Colorado. And anyone who's been in eastern Colorado knows how much more isolated and desolate it is than any part of Kansas. Poetic liscence I guess.

Ken Miller 7 years, 6 months ago

The producers of the show probably heard that Lawrence was destroyed in a nuclear terrorist attack. At least that's what happed in Jericho.

Ken Miller 7 years, 6 months ago

Well, we can split nuclear hairs all day...

As I recall, Lawrence became a refugee haven in "The Day After."

The hospital (KU Med, which in the movie is in Lawrence) was overwhelmed, and then Jason Robards went to look for his wife in KC, amongst the wreckage, and he ends up hugging some post-apocalyse squatter on the remains of what used to be his house.

In Jericho, the "rumor" is that Lawrence was nuked - confirmed by FEMA, who notifies folks in western Kansas (where the fictitious Jericho is located) NOT to drink the water, because it is contaminated by the Lawrence blast.

(((OK, after typing all that, I realize 1. I am taking way too much interest in TV Shows that depict the destruction of Kansas, specifically Lawrence; and 2. That Hollywood, when it does locate a setting in Kansas NEVER gets the geography/landmarks right))))

deec 7 years, 6 months ago

Coincidentally, we just watched The Day After. Robards is travelling on "the I-70 interstate" which is actually K-10 when the blast occurs.

Ken Miller 7 years, 6 months ago

I believe that scene was filmed on "old" K-10.

deec 7 years, 6 months ago

No, I don't think so, as its the 4 lane divided highway.

Ken Miller 7 years, 6 months ago

Sadly, I bought the DVD and will check it out this weekend, when we are buried under two feet of snow.

jriley 7 years, 6 months ago

ryanjasondesch

just an FYI..cousin Eddie from National Lampoons Vacation is from Cooledge Ks. which is about 10 miles from the Colorado border. I grew up near there and the scenery in Vacation is actually pretty accurate

Mkh 7 years, 6 months ago

I believe those missles were launched from the old Sunflower Ammunition Plant perhaps? The also make reference to a long line of missles that went for miles north and south.

But back to the point of the thread, as a part-time filmmaker I am pretty upset that Lawrence has once again lost out on having a major film shot here. In the past the Lawrence community has been praised for how well film projects were embraced. The producers/directors of "The Day After" loved how well they were helped and recieved by the community, I have a feeling that if Mr. Oldfather were still alive things might be different.

As far as the campus situation, I would think it would be fairly hard to make Boulder campus resemble KS. I've been to the campus numerous times and while it's beautiful it screams Colorado. It's also in a more urban setting which makes it harder for a major crew to manuever. Personally I think the aesthetic qualities of KU's campus would be ideal for filming.

theifoncross 7 years, 6 months ago

StarWars wasn't really filmed in a galaxy far away

Tychoman 7 years, 6 months ago

Lawrence was nuked in Jericho? Aw that sucks! I've missed the last half-season :(. I really wish that they'd film a movie with KU, AT KU.

Ken Miller 7 years, 6 months ago

I hope "Jericho" becomes a big hit, with an 11 or 12-year-run. Because if it does, then you know that eventually they will pay homage to Kansas in strange little ways. Perhaps they might:

1. Have a scene where people loot Jericho, and try to pawn the stuff at Yellow House;
  2. Show a 4-5 minute car chase/shootout where all vehicles fly off and crash at the end of the SLT Bridge to nowhere;
  3. Pan to a scene where the Jericho Mayor makes a 2 minute speech about how we must now focus on rebuilding what makes America great - with a wide-angle shot of the new Walmart at 6th and Wakarusa being built in the background;
  4. Show Skeet Ulrich and one of the show's hotties trying to re-populate Kansas by making sweet love on a roundabout;

I am tapped out of ideas. Time to go back to work.

bevy 7 years, 6 months ago

Oscar - thanks for the best laugh I've had all day.

Finally - someone came up with uses for BOTH the "overpass to nowhere" and the roundabouts! Excellent.

While we're reminiscing, I was 16 when The Day After came out. I didn't want to watch it - it seriously freaked me out - but my parents made me. They said it was important for me to know what was at stake in the Cold War.

Just watched another great 80s nuke flick - WarGames. Young, yummy Matthew Broderick. Mmmmmm...pale asthmatic computer geeks...mmmmm

Tychoman 7 years, 6 months ago

Since when did anyone in Kansas make sense BEFORE a nuclear holocuast?

jayheel 7 years, 6 months ago

Don't forget about "Kansas" with Matt Dillon and Andrew McCarthy...they stayed at the Eldridge and enjoyed themselves.

The black and white scenes in Wizard of Oz were not filmed in Kansas either. However, the colorful Oz scenes were actually filmed in Tulsa.

classclown 7 years, 6 months ago

So KU isn't film worthy. Big deal. Get over yourselves.

Also, when hollywood makes a movie about a person or several people, they don't film the actual person/people! They film other people called actors who portray them. gasp!

compmd 7 years, 6 months ago

person_of_interest said: "....where were those missles launched from?

Somewhere around Topeka? Lawrence? Ottawa?"

I believe there have been as many as 17 missile silos located in Douglas County in real life.

classclown 7 years, 6 months ago

Wasn't there a story a while back about a couple that bought a silo and are living in it?

formerlyKS 7 years, 6 months ago

You Lawrence residents really don't know your history very well.

The silos around Lawrence are actually built due to Topeka's Forbes Field. Yes, Forbes used to be an active air force base, and now it is used by the Kansas Air National Guard and the twice weekly commercial flights to Las Vegas. Forbes Field still has one of the longest runways in the country. Generally, silos were placed between 20 and 40 miles away from the air force base.

Why would the Sunflower Army Ammunition plant have silos? People here are way too Johnson county centric.

Jock Navels 7 years, 6 months ago

don johnson out of wichita and KU stars in "A Boy and His Dog" a post apocolyptic classic...the city in a cavernous fallout shelter...it's Topeka... the dumbest of them all is "Sante Fe Trail" with ronald reagan

juscin3 7 years, 6 months ago

I remember both The Day After and Kansas. The Day After, my brother was a lil add in where he got so much money to just walk around town all dirty and zombie lookin like. Too cool for that. Then, the Kansas movie, Matt Dillon was over at the holidome and the Dairy was right across the street where the Board of Ed. is located at. My Aunt dropped my cousin and myself there at the Hotel and we walked up to the door and watched Matt practice riding a motorcycle. He then came in, I held the door open and didn't know what to say, but the arse didn't even say thank you or nothing. Then we turned around and seen these girls come runnin up to him askin for his autograph. That was it. We were star struck. Why? I don't know.
Then a few years after that, Michael Landon was in town doin something and my Aunt made him a cake. He had no idea what her name was or maybe someone told him, but he walked up to her, said her name and shook her hand. She gave him the cake and then went on his merry way. Very nice man.
Anywho, those were my experiences with movie stars..lol

james bush 7 years, 6 months ago

The campus at Lawrence is a really attractive and scenic place.......didn't realize how attractive until my daughter and her teenage children were here 3 years ago! I hope some good film makers see the beauty and can afford the cost....