LJWorld.com weblogs The Lawrence Crime Blotter

rape investigation

Law enforcement report ¢ Lawrence Police are investigating a report that a 22-year-old woman was raped by a 27-year-old Lawrence man at the victim's west Lawrence residence. According to a police report, the incident occurred between 2:30 a.m. and 4:45 a.m. Sunday. The suspect and victim are recent acquaintances, according to the report. The report has been sent to the District Attorney's office for review. No further details were available, according to Lawrence Police. ¢ A dog bit an Ottawa police officer Wednesday night while the officer responded to a disturbance call at a house in the 900 block of South Highland Street. The officer was not injured. The bite did not break the officer's skin, said Capt. Randy Allan, an Ottawa police spokesman. A 27-year-old woman was given notice to appear in Ottawa Municipal Court on charges of harboring a vicious animal, no proof of vaccination and no city registration.Emergency calls Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical reported these responses: Fire calls ¢ Assist person, 7:40 p.m. Tuesday, 214 W. 10th St. ¢ Assist person, 10:59 p.m. Tuesday, 644 Mass. ¢ Carbon monoxide incident, 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, 144 Pinecone Dr. ¢ Motor vehicle accident, 5:56 p.m. Wednesday, 19th and Tennessee streets. ¢ Smoke or odor removal, 7:06 p.m. Wednesday, 5121 Congressional Circle. ¢ Gas leak, natural gas or LPG, 7:15 p.m. Wednesday, 1908 E. 19th St. ¢ Assist person, 9:53 p.m. Wednesday, 1707 W. 21st St. ¢ Smoke detector activation, 4:24 a.m. Thursday, 2105 E. 26th Terrace.

Comments

been_there 6 years, 11 months ago

Exactly what is his excellent point, or better yet, why do you think it is excellent? Why is he using some poor woman's tragedy to express his dislike of a new policy they are thinking of? He already did that on another forum where it was more appropriate which it is not here. I was not providing him with satisfaction but rather showing support for the victim and her family and friends who might see his remark. Why let him victimize her twice, she did nothing that calls for him to ridicule her and it took courage to come forword. People like him discourage rape victims from coming forward and the rapist stays free to rape again. The fact that it gave you a chuckle is sad. Rape should never be a subject of a joke.

DRsmith 6 years, 11 months ago

Harboring a dangerous dog in ones own house? Thats odd...thought that is what dogs were for...biting strangers in their house/property.

Beth Bird 6 years, 11 months ago

Had the same experience with harboring a vicious animal in Ottawa - A man came onto my backyard, which is fenced in, and says my dog bit him. The man had no business in my yard and could not explain why he was there and yet I got arrested and charged for my dog biting him when he was protecting our house. I had to go to court and pay fines, risk having my dog put down, and have a trial - What a load of bull!

been_there 6 years, 11 months ago

"for the Rape case I guess now the victim is going to want the attacker and all attackers to be mandatorily drug tested ?"

How insensitive and what does it have to do with some poor woman getting raped. Have you ever been raped, has anyone close to you been raped? It sure doesn't sound like it. Do you have a daughter? Until the details come out, such crude remarks are uncalled for, this could very well affect her the rest of her life and not in a good way. Have a little compassion.

busymom 6 years, 11 months ago

May you never face a violent crime or have your personal space invaded in any way.

I wouldn't say the dog was necessarily vicious because it didn't even break the skin, sounds more like a love bite to me. But I think the real issue is non-registered and no proof of vaccination.

compmd 6 years, 11 months ago

was_freashpowder gave me a good chuckle and he makes an excellent point here. Been_there and busymom, you gave exactly the reactions he was looking for. Well done, was_freashpowder.

busymom 6 years, 11 months ago

How is hoping that he never becomes a victim to violent crime giving him the reaction he wanted. I'm merely stating the obvious, that he's never been one or he would not say stuff like that. And the fact that his joke about rape victims gave you a chuckle is disturbing. Rape is not a joke and I'm merely pointing that out. Would you joke about murderers, kidnappings or bombings? If you answered yes to any of the above, or in fact joke about rape, go seek therapy because that's a sign of violent behavior stirring within.

temperance 6 years, 11 months ago

"The fact that it gave you a chuckle is sad. Rape should never be a subject of a joke." It's sad that this even needs to be pointed out. (but thanks for doing so Been_There).

hey freashpowder -- "freash" isn't a word, you idiot.

compmd 6 years, 11 months ago

It isn't the rape that is funny, what do you think I am? I never said it was funny. I said it was your reaction that was amusing. Why? Its the exact reaction that people are having and basing their defense of the Bixby family on (see the article about their daughter who was killed in a car accident). They are promoting bad legislation that would permit bad faith drug testing on millions of people all so they can feel like they are doing something. I usually think that freashpowder is a crackpot, but he points out the chilling effects bad legislation can have and how easily it can come into law when emotion becomes the basis for legislation instead of reason. He isn't ridiculing the victim, and neither am I. Your reactions of "rape is bad" is certainly true, but a non sequitur response to his statement that perhaps the attackers should be drug tested. What he's saying is "well, if we're going to drug test drivers, why not drug test rapists?" The obvious slippery slope here is "why not burglars? Trespassers? Bad check writers?" Does this make sense now?

Now funny is someone called "temperance" calling someone an idiot.