LJWorld.com weblogs The Lawrence Crime Blotter

More gun and drug arrests at Last Call

Lawrence police arrested two more people over the weekend after they found a gun in a vehicle near Last Call, 729 N.H.The arrests came early Sunday morning after police found a .25 caliber handgun in a vehicle driven by a 22-year-old Kansas City, Mo. man and a 19-year-old Grandview, Mo. woman. The gun allegedly had a round in the chamber when police began the arrest.According to Last Call security, the man had been asked to leave the business. Police also found "a green leafy substance" on the man that appeared to be marijuana. Both suspects were booked into Douglas County Jail and released on bond.¢ Also, police are investigating the alleged rape of a 20-year-old St. Joseph, Mo., woman who was found Sunday morning and brought to Lawrence Memorial Hospital by the Kansas Highway Patrol. The investigation continues.

Comments

camper 7 years, 1 month ago

Man, I'm sure the last call must be brought up in weekly police meetings. Most of us go to work and usually don't have to worry about guns. Just a thought, but the police are often underappreciated. I'd lose a little sleep if I knew I had to patrol New Hampshire. Have somebody by the place out. One small step forward.

Richard Heckler 7 years, 2 months ago

A crime may be in the making inside the bar such as assault or disturbing the peace which is why folks are asked to leave. Last Call simply shoves out their door potentially placing others outside of the bar at risk. Perhaps the bouncers could hold the trouble makers until the cops arrive?

ScottyMac 7 years, 2 months ago

Andini: "I blame the thugs that live in the Hobbs Taylor Lofts. Before they moved in it was always quiet on that part of New Hampshire."

You're right. Just one hippie sitting in a tree. A dead tree.

BlackVelvet 7 years, 2 months ago

I think it would be nice if the LJW would try to get the District Attorney's office to explain WHY so many of the people arrested for having guns near the Las Call have had their charges reduced or dismissed. Did the cops not make good arrests? Are we too damned touchy-feely-don't convict them or we might hurt their friggin feelings? Why do the cops continue to arrest if the bad guys aren't going to be prosecuted?

doc1 7 years, 2 months ago

Stephen. To answer your question. Yes. When Tremors shut down there was a significant lull in that sort of activitiy.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 7 years, 2 months ago

Posted by scenebooster (anonymous) on January 29, 2007 at 4:34 p.m. (Suggest removal)

"See its real easy no hip hop place= no thugs. "

This is an idiotic statement. And there are more than a few other hip hop venues - there were two hip hop shows here last week, with no incidents.

Exactly!!! That says it all! Last Call is the exception and a problem. The problem is specifically with Last Call. Shut the shiz down!!!

scenebooster 7 years, 2 months ago

"actually, its dead-on."

Yep, there are no people in this town with guns in their cars EXCEPT for hip hop fans.

Yep.

Mr_Ramirez 7 years, 2 months ago

"See its real easy no hip hop place= no thugs. "

This is an idiotic statement.

actually, its dead-on.

These idiots with their guns in their cars crack me up! Theyre not even smart enough to hide them properly. I wish somebody would do an indie film docu on the morons that frequent that craphole.

scenebooster 7 years, 2 months ago

"See its real easy no hip hop place= no thugs. "

scenebooster 7 years, 2 months ago

"Take that statement and insert "brothel" or "crack house" where it says "Last Call". How would you defend it, then? "

Well, first I'd point out that both a "brothel" and a "crack house" are illegal situations, whereas a bar with a liquor license is not. Secondly, I'd point out that no crime occurred inside the bar, and no crime was committed by employees of the bar.

The rest of your points mistakenly assign blame to the business owner - again, I ask - what would you have him do?

introversion 7 years, 2 months ago

Sigmund, I don't think they were trying to advocate for Naughty But Nice as much as they were trying to illustrate the point that a relatively harmless business is being run out of town, while this other business which appears to put forth much more of a threat to our quality of life, is seemingly on easy street.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 2 months ago

"Last Call employs bouncers and doormen. As far as I know, the bar uses either metal detectors or wands (i think, if I'm wrong I'm sure you'll let me know). None of the recent arrests or gun citations happened inside the bar...

...so my point is: What would you have the owner do? Surely you free market folks out there don't expect him to just pack it in. Should he institute a dress code? Not allow white people? Not allow black people?

Isn't this more of a police issue than a business owner issue?"

Take that statement and insert "brothel" or "crack house" where it says "Last Call". How would you defend it, then? There is a direct connection with crime + Last Call. DIRECT. Because we can so easily link INCREASED CRIME to LAST CALL, we need to treat Last Call the same way we would a crack house or a brothel: it's a bigger nusiance than "comparable" business in town. They "bring" crime to Lawrence in ways that other bars don't, so let's treat them as we would a criminal enterprise instead of pretending that they are no different than "Johnny's".

a2thek 7 years, 2 months ago

Yeah I believe the only way to get rid of this problem is to remove the establishment and close them down. See its real easy no hip hop place= no thugs. I once thought closing them down wouldnt solve the problem but now have a changed opinion. It's the only hip-hop place in town and without it boy I doubt people/thugs would come down from KC or where ever to go to a non-hip hop place or coyotes or the ranch.

a2thek 7 years, 2 months ago

scenebooster 7 years, 2 months ago

Here's a thought that I am sure I'll get reemed for:

Isn't this more of a police issue than a business owner issue?

Let the freaking out begin...

Sigmund 7 years, 2 months ago

Ah jeez, quit with the Naughty but Nice advocacy. There several shops still left in Lawrence not to mention its a proven fact, politically speaking, that 99.99% of the Interweb is pr0n. Losing one because of its location and lack of zoning is not such a great loss, really.

scootterxlch 7 years, 2 months ago

the city could spend as much time shutting down last calls as it has spent shutting down naughty but nice. guns are ok boobies arenot

greyheim 7 years, 2 months ago

WHEN IS ENOUGH ENOUGH?!?! It is seriously time for this guy to have the hammer come down and for officials to put every tool they have to use to get him to bring the situation under control - or just close the damn place down! I read the article in the Kansan and it doesn't make sense to make the other bar owners suffer because of this douchebag, but hopefully the system they're proposing is for specific instances like this one and the owners of most of the other bars in Lawrence don't have much to worry about. Last Call, get out of Lawrence!!!!!!!!

Stephen 7 years, 2 months ago

When Last Call shuts down then what? Do you think it will honestly disappear, all this guns n thug crappola? I think they have a safe haven in Lawrence. Its a shame.

Centrist 7 years, 2 months ago

.. not saying NY is better either

Centrist 7 years, 2 months ago

That's easy - we don't have "leaders" here ...

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 2 months ago

This voter and long-time resident will be very interested to see if we see any REAL move on the part of city hall to shut down this "mulitple-fatalities-drive-by-shooting-waiting-to-happen" called Last Call.

In a single mayoral administration New York City was able to completely remove the smut dealers that once littered Time's Square. Why can't our leaders shut down ONE business?

javery 7 years, 2 months ago

There was an interesting article in the Kansan a few days ago that seemed to surprisingly go without notice on ljworld.

Basically Lawrence at the moment Lawrence can't punish individual bars, but the city manager is considering trying to get a permit system put in place. Of course all the bars are concerned about it, but I have to imagine that it's really a method of getting rid of Last Call (and any similar places in the future that regularly cause trouble and single-handedly increase the danger levels in Lawrence).

Centrist 7 years, 2 months ago

A round in the chamber, eh? Shudder to think what might have happened next ...

75x55 7 years, 2 months ago

Hmm.

More gun laws NOT being enforced.

Gee, sounds like we need some tougher gun laws....

just_another_ninja 7 years, 2 months ago

How is it "news" when there's no surprises?

midwestmom 7 years, 2 months ago

Exactly - "Both suspects were booked into Douglas County Jail and released on bond". They were gone before the reports were even finished. I'm sure they'll appear when it is time, though! hah.

girly 7 years, 2 months ago

Doesn't matter much anyway since the article last week showed that the gun violators were all getting off, or having charges dropped. That was very disconcerting to read.

Sigmund 7 years, 2 months ago

Maybe in the future, to save time and space, the LJW could just let us know when drugs and guns are NOT seized outside the Last Call. You see, that would be news.

Andini 7 years, 2 months ago

doc1 7 years, 2 months ago

They forgot to mention that other than last Saturday they have seized a gun every weekend there since the new year.

Mike Blur 7 years, 2 months ago

The city of Lawrence has a long history of taking action AFTER a tragic event has happened.

It's time to take the pre-emptive move and shut down Last Call before a multi-fatality takes place.

KSChick1 7 years, 2 months ago

with "latin" lettuce

(heard that on Sanford and Son once years ago)

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 2 months ago

a green leafy substance -

"I just had a salad at the Merc"

Norma Jeane Baker 7 years, 2 months ago

Now there's a surprise -- guns near Last Call? And from out of town, as well? Yeah, shocked.