LJWorld.com weblogs The Lawrence Crime Blotter

KC man arrested in Lawrence assault

Police arrested a 27-year-old Kansas City, Kan., man Sunday morning after he allegedly ran a Toyota Camry into a car driven by a female acquaintance, then pulled out a gun and fired a shot.Lawrence police said the man drove the woman's Toyota into a Honda Civic belonging to another 26-year-old Lawrence man. Both the 26-year-old man and the woman were in the Civic at the time, and driving up to the woman's apartment on the 1700 block of West Fourth Street.No one was injured.Police found the Toyota at a nearby apartment complex and found the 27-year-old Kansas City, Kan. suspect in the area of Lawrence Avenue and Pioneer Road. He was arrested and booked into Douglas County jail on suspicion of aggravated assault and being a felon in possession of a gun.

Comments

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 3 months ago

This is still going on?

Crispian - You know if you let it drop it this message board and blog will be placed on the dusty bookshelf for the ages? You are making yourself look like a fool.

Crispian Paul 7 years, 3 months ago

Posted by rednekbuddha (Kelly Powell) on January 25, 2007 at 4:45 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Actually I'm a burly dockworker who has been under a murder investigation for 18 years....nice guess though....

Wow, that's even better than my "resume"..... Great job there. I am wondering, though, did you do it? Should I be scared?

Crispian Paul 7 years, 3 months ago

You guys can think whatever you choose about me. However, I most certainly did not single anyone out and intend on insulting them until the insults kept flying my way for expressing a valid oppinion that muder and domestic violence are not funny. If I am sexist, it must be a produt of the sexist world in which we live. How is it that I am classist when it was YOU who tried to make a barb at me for presuming I went to community college as an inteded insult. If I am a body image bigot as you put it, then it must be a product of a culture who defines beauty. Regarding your penis, be my guest and defend it, but always remember it was you who used the term "c**k block"). I really should not evenmention my "resume" as it was put because no matter how smart I am, to you KUBACKER, I will always be a part of the "feminization of America" that has "f'd up the country". I was looking at some of you other posts and you are clearly a misogynist.
By the way, Social Work degrees are part of a separate "professional" school (like education), not a liberal art, but far be it for me to assume you actually care about accuracy.

Thanks all for proving to me, yet again, that women who present a viewpoint that is strong are judged not by the merit of the viewpoint, but by whether or not Kelly Powell or any other person deems it to be "whiny" or "bhy". Rednek, why are YOU whining about your small penis when you were the one who brought it up? Are you "bhy" too?

Finally, in regards to all of this, I am done with arguing the point because this has truly evolved into finding ways to attempt to insult me personally. Case in point: Hello,

The user kubacker sent the following message to you via LJWorld.com:

==============================

Like mother like daughter! Ah,ha,ha,ha!

You need a medication adjustment and a remedial writing class!

So are you saying something about that I should die or what here buddy? Go to...Wait, nevermind. I can rest on this.

Kelly Powell 7 years, 3 months ago

JoRight 7 years, 3 months ago

"I went to KU on a National Merit Scholarship (i.e. those of us who tested in the top 1/2% of the nation....but you woudn't know what that's like) and have a Master's degree in Clinical Social Work from KU as well. No community college here, jacka$$."

This is quite possibly funnier than Oldenuf's quote. hahaha. Oh man pause lolol. Thanks for the laugh. I'm glad that you were a "National Merit Scholar", have a masters in "Clinical Social Work" & did not attend no "jacka$$ community college."

Well played Oldenuf, well played.

Kelly Powell 7 years, 3 months ago

And a small penis comment...along with your classism and hatred for your fellow man, you are sexist and a body image bigot to boot....bravo....i bet your clients would love to see this side of you....I'd say prescribe yourself some valium, but you are just a lib art scam artist posing as a mental health professional.

Kelly Powell 7 years, 3 months ago

Cry us a river nancy......thank you for showing how insecure you are by posting your resume....And by your posts I know everything I need to know about you....I do not need to stick my c*ck into a light socket to know it will hurt, and I do not need your life story to know i would most likely despise your outlook on life.... It's not that your viewpoint is valid or not....It's the whiny bitchy way you presented it.....

Crispian Paul 7 years, 3 months ago

I am thinking I would most certainly c**kblock you Rednek, anytime. I am guessing it should be pretty "short"

Crispian Paul 7 years, 3 months ago

Posted by Sigmund (anonymous) on January 23, 2007 at 9:13 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Nobody, nobody, nobody, believes murder or domestic violence is funny. Old Enuf's turn of a common phrase from; "Guns don't kill, people kill people" into "Guns don't kill people. Husbands who come home early kill people" is funny because it recognizes a very common reality. The people who kill people are often jealous spouses. Get caught cheating and someone is very likely to get hurt. Old Enuf turn of a phrase is also a warning. Those that cheat should consider the very real dangers of very risky behavior.

This is type of humor is often called "Black Comedy" and Wikipedia does a good job of documenting it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_humor...

Sigmund, honestly, thank you for a well thought out and well written response. Thank you for not sinking to simply attacking me or my feelings about this subject. I do understand the recent historical basis for black comedy. While I do enjoy social satire immensely, to me, some of this crosses the line. I don't like "dead baby" jokes either. I appreciate it. Rather than being an a$$ like some people (KU BACKER??) or completely insensitive to the fact that there are actually people in the world who have experienced this first hand, you were actually quite appealing to me. Perhaps I should "lighten up" or in the parlance of our time "chill" (been watching Big Lebowski?....oh, wait I forgot Redneck, I am humorless, how would I know that). That certainly makes an better effect on me that people attacking what many would deem to be my valid view point.

Crispian Paul 7 years, 3 months ago

Posted by kubacker (anonymous) on January 23, 2007 at 4:49 p.m. (Suggest removal)

To Crispian:

(1) Nobody cares.

(2) Bite me.

(3) Get some therapy and move on.

Supremely intelligent response. You sure got my goat there. Darn, now I have totally changed my views. Violence IS funny. You sure showed me. Now I am all ready to "move on" because now I see that murder and domestic abuse are funny. These hollow arguments from people who have never walked in my shoes are really changing me here. Now I see that if I just adopt that attitude, then I will never again think that it is wrong to joke about murder....Sure got me there. Thanks.

Seriously, name the time and place and I will surely do more than "bite you". I would pefer it were a dark alley OK?

Crispian Paul 7 years, 3 months ago

Posted by rednekbuddha (Kelly Powell) on January 23, 2007 at 4:59 p.m. (Suggest removal)

crispian...of course you wish for that....you just backhanded it with a spin....passive agressive whiners like you need to clue in that most humor is based on dark and tragic things....if more people had a better sense of gallows humor, you would be out of a job....therapists, a professional mother hen....i bet you did a lot of c**k blocking back in community college.

Well, first of all, clearly, you know nothing about me. I went to KU on a National Merit Scholarship (i.e. those of us who tested in the top 1/2% of the nation....but you woudn't know what that's like) and have a Master's degree in Clinical Social Work from KU as well. No community college here, jacka$$. See, that's the problem. If you don't agree with me, then you resort to name calling and stereotyping.

Secondly, call me "passive agressive whiner" if you want. However, those who actually do know me would never even think that I am passive aggressive seeing as how I have a very strong reputation for saying EXACTLY just how I feel. You know what I feel? You're an ugly, World of War Craft playing, lives at home with your mom, drinks PBR from the can loser. Is that just plain aggressive enough for you to understand?

I have a great sense of humor generally, but this problem of domestic abuse is far too wide spread to joke about. You know why? Because just like racist "jokes" told by those who swear to not actually be a "racist", there are still people ignorant enough in the ways of the world to get that and simply use that as basis to continue to act and feel whatever way they choose.

To say that someone such as myself who has worked to end violence in many forms wishes someone to lose someone close to them shows me just how ignorant you are. No wonder even you call yourself a Redneck. I'll be sure to pass that Rebel Flag on over.

Sigmund 7 years, 3 months ago

Black comedy is similar to sick comedy, such as dead baby jokes. However, in sick humor most of the humor comes from shock and revulsion; black humor usually includes an element of irony, or even fatalism. This particular brand of humor can be exemplified by a scene in the play Waiting for Godot: A man takes off his belt to hang himself, and his trousers fall down. Another example, "Suicide just isn't funny, no matter which way you slice it," is an effective satire at the way that suicide is treated in mainstream western culture, insinuating that attitudes towards suicide are even more morose or morbid than the act or mental condition leading to it.

In America, black comedy as a literary genre came to prominence in the 1950s and 1960s. Writers such as Terry Southern, Joseph Heller, Thomas Pynchon, Kurt Vonnegut, Harlan Ellison and Eric Nicol have written and published novels, stories and plays where profound or horrific events were portrayed in a comic manner.

The 1964 film Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb presents one of the best-known examples of black comedy. The subject of the film is nuclear war and the extinction of life on Earth. Normally, dramas about nuclear war treat the subject with gravity and seriousness, creating suspense over the efforts to avoid a nuclear war. But Dr. Strangelove plays the subject for laughs; for example, in the film, the fail-safe procedures designed to prevent a nuclear war are precisely the systems that ensure that it will happen.

Obvious you have a very thin skin on this subject. However, if you lightened up a little you might understood that humor is often a way for others to deal with very serious subjects. in the parlance of yesterday, "Chill."

Kelly Powell 7 years, 3 months ago

kubacker 7 years, 3 months ago

To Crispian:

(1) Nobody cares.

(2) Bite me.

(3) Get some therapy and move on.

Crispian Paul 7 years, 3 months ago

Posted by Sigmund (anonymous) on January 22, 2007 at 6:34 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Yeah OldEnuf2BYurDad, that was not funny.....giggle......hehehe.....

Oh the heck with it, that was hysterical!

Yeah, boy, murder and domestic violence sure are darn funny. I can't believe you all. I can only say I would not wish for a family member of yours to be murdered for you to learn this lesson.

Crispian Paul 7 years, 3 months ago

Posted by introversion (anonymous) on January 22, 2007 at 7:53 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I must have missed the relevance to the Viet Nam war.

I read the article again and I still didn't see anything pertaining to that.

The relevance was not to the Viet Nam war per se, but to make a point about the sheer scope of domestic abuse and murder and why it is not in any way, shape or form funny to joke about violence or murder.

Crispian Paul 7 years, 3 months ago

Posted by kubacker (anonymous) on January 22, 2007 at 5:04 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Reply to Crispian:

Very sad - get some therapy and move on!

Reply to KUBACKER:

Get bent. I AM a therapist, idiot. Move on? Clearly you understand what it's like to walk in someone else's moccasins? I think it's sad that people joke about domestic violence and murder. I don't think that this is limited to people like me who have experienced it first hand. You did not need to respond to me, especially since ALL you did was respond directly to me. That's ovely advice. Perhaps you should follow, because it seems like I may have hit you where you live.

Emily Hadley 7 years, 3 months ago

It would be more tempting to ram the car if you were driving a car belonging to the other person you were upset with.

geekin_topekan 7 years, 3 months ago

i wonder what she needs that the gunman is not able to provide?He's coming up short in some area of the relationship and its up to the young man to fill the void.

introversion 7 years, 3 months ago

I must have missed the relevance to the Viet Nam war.

I read the article again and I still didn't see anything pertaining to that.

soiledbrown 7 years, 3 months ago

kansas city...the new topeka...

Sigmund 7 years, 3 months ago

Yeah OldEnuf2BYurDad, that was not funny.....giggle......hehehe.....

Oh the heck with it, that was hysterical!

newtongirl 7 years, 3 months ago

FYI (not a justification, just info): It's a Larry the Cable Guy quote from his standup show - shown Saturday night on Comedy Central by the way. If it offends it's at least partly Larry's fault.

kubacker 7 years, 3 months ago

Reply to Crispian:

Very sad - get some therapy and move on!

lawrencebartender 7 years, 3 months ago

Those people were not at Last Call doc 1, Mr. Ramirez. Last Call closed early. I know for a FACT they were NOT at Last Call. Mr_Ramirez and doc1 when you assume you make an ass out of...... well I guess yourselves.

Bladerunner 7 years, 3 months ago

Perhaps he was just an agressive gun salesman?

Emily Hadley 7 years, 3 months ago

Yes, far too many men are driven by rage and violence, and many can suddenly and violently snap without precedent, warning, provocation, or justification.

No, there's nothing funny about it. Except that comedy is always about life, and often about things that actually suck and aren't funny. It's a way of dealing and healing, I suppose.

I have witnessed and survived this aggression phenomenon from every angle more times than I can count, and as the pulsing spastic pain in my scarred and semi-paralyzed skeletal muscles discourages me from stretching my hands out to reach the keyboard, I will be damned if I can't at least joke about it.

Emily Hadley 7 years, 3 months ago

I think the golf courses are inciting a bad element in our town.

Barging into houses, evading police, mass marijuana cultivation, vehicular assault -- all took place adjacent to either Alvamar or Lawrence Country Club.

I'm not saying that golf is directly causing this dangerous and anti-social behavior, but let's be realistic-- we need to take everything into consideration if we are ever going to get a handle on these pesticide-fueled rampages.

Crispian Paul 7 years, 3 months ago

OK, two things. There is no evidence here that this had anything to with Last Call patrons, so that is irrelevent.

Secondly, OldEnuff, please don't make jokes about spousal violence and murder. It's just plain NOT FUNNY. My father did actually kill my mother with a gun 13 years ago. This does actually happen, so it's just not funny.

During the Viet Nam war, about 58,000 American soldiers died. During THAT SAME time period, 57,000 American women were murdered by their husbands or boyfriends. NOT FUNNY. SOOO NOT FUNNY.

I am sure if you are old enough to be my dad, you lost friends in Viet Nam. I am guessing you would not like me to make jokes about this.

Mr_Ramirez 7 years, 3 months ago

".....all 3 reportedly were at last call before the incident."

beat me to it Doc!

doc1 7 years, 3 months ago

Must have been in town for the Last Call.

thomgreen 7 years, 3 months ago

Was the guy driving the other car named Max Tucker?

Centrist 7 years, 3 months ago

Has anyone notified Cheaters yet? g

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 3 months ago

Guns don't kill people. Husbands who come home early kill people.