LJWorld.com weblogs The Lawrence Crime Blotter

Man hit in face with rock, hospitalized

A man was hit in the face with a rock during a disturbance early Thursday morning in the 1000 block of Pennsylvania, Lawrence Police said.The victim was taken by ambulance to Lawrence Memorial Hospital and then transferred to University of Kansas Hospital in Kansas City, Kan. His condition was not known - but the injuries were not thought to be life-threatening, police spokeswoman Kim Murphree said.The incident occurred about 3:40 a.m. when three men walking home got into an altercation with four or five juveniles, Murphree said. No other details were available.

Comments

Warren6032 6 years, 8 months ago

Anytime a person gets hit in the face with a rock you should say "thats gotta hurt"

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 8 months ago

ljreader (Anonymous) says: I have my books and poetry to protect me.

He should have held the book in front of his face. "Sticks and Stone May Break My Bones....." obviously didn't work.

manyblessings 6 years, 8 months ago

Seriously, I hope the man is okay.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 8 months ago

I hope that the guy is OK and does not add a new defnition to the language; "He looks like he got hit in the face with a rock!", as opposed to, "He looks like he got hit in the face with a bag of nickles!"

manyblessings 6 years, 8 months ago

Everybody must get stoned.......

Marion Lynn 6 years, 8 months ago

Roll away the rock.

oh wait

that doesn't sound right

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

Has anyone heard how this guy is doing?? No up date or anything to bd.

Keith 6 years, 8 months ago

Now, look! No one is to stone anyone until I blow this whistle! Do you understand?! Even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say 'Jehovah.'

coolmom 6 years, 8 months ago

a rolling rock gathers no moss...

scenebooster 6 years, 8 months ago

outdoor55, you'll want to seek professional help for the removal of the stick up your butt.

• scene "King of Rock" booster

Wittmann 6 years, 8 months ago

"I bet they were home-schooled" in service-suckery and crack distribution.

acg 6 years, 8 months ago

I thought life was a highway, you know, the kind you wanna drive all night long? ???

Marion Lynn 6 years, 8 months ago

LIfe is rock, WLS told me!

Gotta turn it up louder..

So my DJ told me!

bearded_gnome 6 years, 8 months ago

It shall be unlawful for any child under the age of eighteen (18) years to wander, lounge, loaf, loiter or play in, about, or upon any public street, alley, sidewalk, vacant lot, public place or other place normally accessible to the general public for public use, whether on foot, or in a vehicle or by any means, during the hours of curfew which are hereby specified for each day of each week as provided, to wit:

so, according to this, a kid under 18 and caught out during the proscribed times is really okay if he/she is: plundering; ravaging; lingering; tiptoing; studying; or speculating? just don't lounge after the deadline! $10-$100 plus up to 30 days. hey why haven't these miniscofflaws been charged with that too? maybe they were caught out 'investigating," so didn't fit the law?

maybe t they were a crazed gang of phonologists! studying their craft? hey, maybe they were out so late because they were diligent little children who tried to get their homework done ahead of time and they stayed late at the library, takes time to walk from the library to 10th and Penn and they felt threatened by the rascally grownups who were lookin' funny so they took to hand the only convenient weapon. what if one of the kids had had conceal and carry, maybe the grownups wouldn't bother the little innocents? yes, I know these little angels (with dirty faces) aren't old enough for the current conceal carry law, but they make an effective argument to change it! guns are rightly called "equalizers."

bearded_gnome 6 years, 8 months ago

when rocks are outlawed, then only outlaws will have rocks!"

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

hey no idea either pywacket but sound like a good reason. I do agree seems like alot of transports lately.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 8 months ago

Ah, yes but some things are only LIKE A ROCK!

introversion 6 years, 8 months ago

I'm pretty sure this is a violation of the city's "Missile Ordinance."

(That's the queue for you city ordinance pros to do your thing and post the text from the missile ordinance!)

ljreader 6 years, 8 months ago

I have my books and poetry to protect me.

Pywacket 6 years, 8 months ago

momma... I have no idea--as I said, I was just throwing out a guess.

If we have those services here, then they must've been transferred for other reasons. I was hoping someone who knew might respond. It does seem that a high percentage of local accident victims are transferred to KC.

outdoor55 6 years, 8 months ago

scenebooster, I'm not sure whether it's a great comment or shows the fact that you have nothing better to do on a Thursday afternoon than to list every song that references a rock. I'm guessing the latter.

scenebooster 6 years, 8 months ago

Thank you, thank you...you're too kind.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

thought we had maxillofacial services here? at least some years ago we did not had a reason for this type of help in a very long time thank goodness. Oh well something learned every day.

Laura Watkins 6 years, 8 months ago

scenebooster-- best comment of the day (week/month!)

Pywacket 6 years, 8 months ago

Scenebooster~ That was great! Thanks for a rockslide of evidence that these stony-hearted brats were, indeed rocking out to unauthorized tunes. I hope the next time these pea-gravel-brained kids ask permission to roam at night, their parents will refuse to granite.

As to why the victim had to be transferred... Just a guess, but maybe he required maxillofacial repair surgery that wasn't available locally.

scenebooster 6 years, 8 months ago

I am 100% sure that these rapscallions were listening to rap music right before the rock throwing incident. Likely filth listened to: De la Soul - "Cool Breeze on the Rocks" Afrika Bambaataa - "Planet Rock" UTFO - "Wanna Rock" Cash Money & Marvelous - "The Mighty Hard Rocker" DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince - "I Wanna Rock" LL Cool J - "You'll Rock" Redman - "Rockafella" Pete Rock - "Rock Steady Pt II" Funky 4+1 - "Rappin & Rockin the House" Funky 4 - "Do You Want to Rock (Before I Let Go)" King T - "Ko Rock Stuff" Steady B - "Rockin' Music" Snoop Dogg - "Buss'n Rocks" MC Lyte - "Cold Rock a Party" Cam'Ron - "Rockin' & Rollin'" Kurtis Blow - "Street Rock" "Rock the Bells" US3 ft Def Jef - "I Showed a Caveman How to Rock" Funkdoobiest - "Rock On" A Tribe Called Quest ft Punchline, Wordsworth, Jane Doe & Mos Def - "Rock Rock Y'all" Hurricane G - "Rock U" Grandmaster Flash & the Furious Five - "We Will Rock You" Ugly Duckling - "Rock on Top" KMD - "It Sounded Like a Rock" Fearless Four - "Rockin' It" Freestylers ft the Soul Sonic Force - "We Rock Hard"

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 8 months ago

must have been one heck of a non life threatining injury to move him to ku med.

costello 6 years, 8 months ago

Thanks, Kontum.

ARTICLE 8. CURFEW

14-801 CHILDREN.

11:00 p.m. Monday to 6:00 a.m. Tuesday; 11:00 p.m. Tuesday to 6:00 a.m. Wednesday; 11:00 p.m. Wednesday to 6:00 a.m. Thursday; 11:00 p.m. Thursday to 6:00 a.m. Friday; 12:30 a.m. Saturday to 6:00 a.m. Saturday; 12:30 a.m. Sunday to 6:00 a.m. Sunday; 11:00 p.m. Sunday to 6:00 a.m. Monday;

unless accompanied by a parent, legal guardian, or other person exercising legal custody of such child. Such prohibition shall not apply to such children under the age of eighteen (18) years who are en route by the most direct and accessible route between their homes and authorized places of employment, authorized entertainment, or authorized place of attendance to their residences. The term "authorized" as used in this Section shall denote and require prior authorization by a parent, legal guardian, or other person exercising legal custody. (Code 1979, 14-801)

14-802 PARENTS AND OTHERS.

It shall be unlawful for any parent, legal guardian or other person lawfully entitled to the care, custody, or control of any child under the age of eighteen (18) years, to suffer, permit or allow any such child to wander, lounge, loaf, loiter or play in, about or upon any public street, alley sidewalk, vacant lot, public place or other place normally accessible to the general public after the hours specified in Section 14-801 of this Article unless accompanied by a parent, legal guardian or other person legally entitled to the care, custody and control of such child. (Code 1979, 14-802)

14-803 PENALTY.

Any person violating any of the provisions of this Article shall, upon conviction thereof, be punished by a fine of not less than $10 nor more than $100 or by imprisonment for a time not to exceed thirty (30) days, or by both such fine and imprisonment. (Code 1979, 14-803)

Kontum1972 6 years, 8 months ago

there is an 11pm curfew for kids under 18....by the city.

costello 6 years, 8 months ago

I see the story has now changed: "The incident occurred about 3:40 a.m. ... "

costello 6 years, 8 months ago

"If we actually held parents accountable for their children, then the crime rate would drop."

I don't know, Confrontation. I'm asleep at 2 am, and I have the kind of kid who'd sneak out at night if we lived in town. He certainly wouldn't be out at that hour with my knowledge and consent.

I wonder how many of these kids' parents were aware they weren't at home. I wonder how many of these kids' parents are still completely clueless that their children were out and involved in this incident.

Personally I'd favor a midnight curfew for kids under 16. I can't think of any good reason a kid that age would need to be out at that hour without an adult present.

hawkperchedatriverfront 6 years, 8 months ago

Confrontation, the parents will be victims of the single parent syndrome. This attack was planned to keep the WRAP program going. It is a conspiracy.

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 8 months ago

This is one of those situations where who knows what happened? unless you know a lot more about it than what is here in this blurb...

Confrontation 6 years, 8 months ago

Sigmund 6 years, 8 months ago

Gee, the City Commission needs staff to draft a new ordinance to prevent this!

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 8 months ago

Maybe they are South Jr High students and it wasn't a school night...

costello 6 years, 8 months ago

"i bet they were home-schooled"

Ah! That explains it. Thanks for clearing that up! ;-)

costello 6 years, 8 months ago

"The incident occurred about 2 a.m. when three men walking home got into an altercation with four or five juveniles."

What were these juveniles doing out at 2 am? Particularly on a school night?