LJWorld.com weblogs The Lawrence Crime Blotter

Woman robbed at ATM

¢ ATM robbery: Lawrence Police are investigating a 21-year-old woman's report that a man carrying a handgun robbed her at an ATM around 10:20 p.m. Monday in the 3500 block of West 22nd Street. She told officers the man approached her as she was in her vehicle using the ATM, demanded money from her and a 24-year-old male passenger, then fled to the north with an undisclosed amount of cash. He ran between buildings in the 3500 block of Clinton Parkway. She described him as a black male, about 6 feet tall with a slender build, wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans.¢ Suspicious man at school: A grandmother of a Schwegler School student told police she saw a man last Tuesday who appeared to be following a female student home from school by foot and in a vehicle in the 2300 block of Ousdahl Road. Police said they've been checking the area and ask people to report suspicious activity there by callling 911 or calling police at 832-7501.¢ Rape report: A 47-year-od woman told police a 20-year-old acquaintance raped her the night of Sept. 11 at her home in the northern half of the city. She reported it the same day. Police are reviewing the case with the District Attorney's Office for possible charges.¢Teen injured: A 13-year-old boy was treated at Lawrence Memorial Hospital Sept. 13 after a fight in the 1900 block of East 19th Street. He told police a 14-year-old boy battered him. Police have sent the case to the District Attorney's office for review. The 14-year-old told police the 13-year-old battered him. -contributed by [Eric Weslander.][1] [1]: http://www2.ljworld.com/staff/eric_weslander

Comments

lisabeth2002 8 years, 3 months ago

but if they don't get punished, they ARE more likely to continue.

Nikki May 8 years, 3 months ago

Ok, about the 13 and 14 year old. How do you know that just because one went to the doctor, he didn't start it. I used to get in fights alot as a kid. I didn't start them usually, but I'm not going to get beat up either. Just because you didn't start it doesn't mean you can't win. The 13 year old could have started it, got beat up by the person defending, and went to the hospital. The 14 year old COULD have been a victim at first and just won. No, I don't know as I wasn't involved, don't know the kids, and wasn't there. But I'm guessing no one else here was either. It COULD happen.

Oh, and just because some one gets in a fight in Jr. high, doesn't mean they will fight as adults.

goodguy24 8 years, 3 months ago

This, in a way, shocks me, and in a way, doesn't. A 20 year old acquaintance has sex, oh please forgive me, allegedly raped a 47 year old woman. Macon47, that IS an akward description of the house for sure "the northern HALF of town". That description tickles me! We have an areas called by most "North Lawrence", "Southern Lawrence", "East Lawrence", "Western Lawrence" , "Old West Lawrence", and maybe a "Central Lawrence", and oh, yeah, also an area called "Just South of Lawrence. Maybe I'm not up to date on the new division-"Northern half of the city", but where exactly do we divide the city into halves? .... Say, maybe north of 16th or 17th street? Besides, at the rate our city is growing, who knows... ya know? I think this was probably just a vague term to keep the identity of both involved somewhat hidden for privacy reasons. Not to disgust anyone, but when I was 21, I had intimate realations with a 42 year old female acquaintance, were very enjoyable experiences. My experiences occurred just over 5 years ago, but positively didn't involve what I consider key aspects, which this "blotter report" neglects to mention: 1)Alcohol, 2)Drugs and 3)Marriage. I pray that the 47 year old woman was not terribly damaged emotionally by this incident... also I hope she was not harmed physically in any way. I can only hope. Women are definately not to be treated as objects. We're all human! Sorry for the long blah blah, but I hope I made some sense.... thanks

Raider 8 years, 3 months ago

So a 14 yr old and a 13 yr old get into a fight? Big deal!! Boys will be boys.

Shame on the parents for making this kid call the police.

Ragingbear 8 years, 3 months ago

Raider, you are an idiot. What is not acceptable as an adult is not acceptable for teens. If somebody was to come up to you, try to steal your wallet, and then beat you up, you would call the police. Yet when a kid beats up another kid and steals his lunch money, it's somehow ok?

This is the type of mentality that results in kids snapping and having yet another Columbine.

ruby2 8 years, 3 months ago

let's see here, "She described him as a black male, about 6 feet tall with a slender build, wearing a gray hooded sweatshirt and blue jeans." big surprise.

simplifying 8 years, 3 months ago

The case of theadolescent young men fighting should be referred to a mediation program. I am sure the DA will use some "prosecutorial discretion" in charging.

geekin_topekan 8 years, 3 months ago

Sounds like a scandal to me.Maybe daddy wired some cash for school and she needed to "stretch" it a little.A black guy?Too cliche'.

hockmano 8 years, 3 months ago

If the courts were not tied up with all these juvenile cases everything would run alot better. I don't condone fighting but come on.They are kids. Boys will be boys. If they had no injuries,(no broken bones or cuts) maybe this will teach both of them a lesson. Prosecute real criminals. Like the crack heads that live (and sell) across the street from me!

Catherine Evans 8 years, 3 months ago

When they took the kid to the hospital, wouldn't the hospital staff have to call the police because someone came in battered? If I were the parents I would've told hospital staff what happened too because otherwise they would have been suspected of child abuse. A report would have to have been filed and therefore end up in the paper. It will probably be dropped and is a non-issue.

lisabeth2002 8 years, 3 months ago

sorry hockmoano, but I completely disagree with your statement. "If they had no injuries,(no broken bones or cuts) maybe this will teach both of them a lesson. Prosecute real criminals." If you let these kids off with a slap on the wrist what are you teaching them? 'It's okay to be a punk, you're only a kid.' That is crap. These kids are the ones that need to be prosecuted for fighting, just like any adult would be, because they are eventually going to grow up to become those 'real criminals' that you speak of because they simply 'got away with it when they were young.'

mommy3 8 years, 3 months ago

Very well said lisabeth2002!! I can't believe anyone would say a kid getting the crap kicked out of them is nothing. That's why there is so many bully problems these days. If some kid gets prosecuted for being a bully and having no respect for another human being, then hopefully the parents will start stepping up and teaching their kids some respect. It's not ok to hurt someone else, so why play it off when their young? Aren't we suppossed to teach our kids right from wrong while their young, so they will grow up to be decent adults? All actions have consequences..good and bad. Our kids need to know that.

mommy3 8 years, 3 months ago

Ingnorance is rampant these days. the other day I was at Dicks Sporting goods in Olathe. Theis idiot called me white trash because my 14 month old swated at his kid. What the heck! He repeated over and over again to my kid on how hitting is wrong. I didn't say anything at first because yes he should not hit. But then the guy kept on about it. I asked him if there was a problem, and he muttered "No". He continued, until he sayed under his breath that "If it wasn't for white trash like us". For God's sake I was alone, in a strange place with my three kids. I worked with dogs all day so I looked like crap, my kids had a great time at the park with Grandma and Grandpa, so they weren't to woopey either. My husband was gone to a funeral in Kentucky. Why am I white trash? Becasue like other 14 month olds, mine doesnt understand that hitting hurts someone else? Because unlike him I didn't rush over and grab my son. His kid didn't even cry until his dad grabed him and ploped him on the bench. Why am I white trash? I go to church, I am active in my kids school and church, I am on PTA, I am a good, honest person. Can someone please tell me why I am white trash? I have tried to let this go, but I wished I would have said something! I just grabbed my kids, and cried the whole way home! My kids know you don't hit, but my BABY is still learning. WHY AM I WHITE TRASH!

AmyR 8 years, 3 months ago

Mommy3, I don't know if you are white trash or not because I am not sure what constitutes white trash. Why care what some idiot says. Let it go. If you get upset over somebody calling you white trash and have to publicly post and get some sort of affirmation that you are not, sounds like you have no idea who you are. Get over it. Just tell yourself each day, I am good enough, I am smart enough and dog gone it, people like me. That should help. Cowboy up sugar.

MyDogHoudini 8 years, 3 months ago

1) Mommy3, you are not white trash. Unfortunately there are also adults in this world that -- like kids -- still think calling other people demeaning names is okay. Those people's opinions aren't worth worrying about. (This also applies to people on this list who feel the need for name-calling.)

2) Ruby2: If I were a synical person, I would think that your post was trying to say "it's not surprising that the person robbing people at gunpoint was a black male." Fortunately, I believe that the good people of Lawrence are generally enlightened enough to realize that such a comment is a very hurtful racial stereotype, and reinforcing such stereotypes in a public forum like the LJWorld is not only bad for black men, it is bad for our entire community. Therefore, I am going to assume that your comment was implying that this was a hoax.

Danimal 8 years, 3 months ago

What is this fair city of ours coming to?

I can't believe some 14 year-old is stupid/cowardly enough to claim that a 13 year-old who had to recieve medical treatment beat him up!