LJWorld.com weblogs The Lawrence Crime Blotter

Men bring dead deer to apartment

Lawrence Police responded about 3:30 p.m. Saturday to a report of "suspicious subjects" at an apartment complex in the 1400 Apple Lane. When they arrived, they found blood on the steps and concrete leading up to an apartment. The blood, it turns out, had come from a deer that a group of young men had hit with a truck in Johnson County, according to a report. Instead of leaving the deer, the men- ages 21, 22, and 23 - loaded it into the back of their truck, drove it back to Lawrence, and tried to drag it into an apartment, according to the report. When officers arrived, the deer had been put back in the truck bed. Police believe the men did not report the accident in Johnson County and did not obtain a deer tag for the animal. Police are forwarding a report of the incident to the Kansas Department of Wildlife and Parks for a game warden to review. The police report doesn't state what happened to the deer. -contributed by [Eric Weslander.][1] [1]: http://www2.ljworld.com/staff/eric_weslander

Comments

countrygirl 7 years, 9 months ago

It's called a salvage tag, and the law enforcement officer that works the wreck can issue one to you if you want the animal. Find somebody with a tarp and a garage--not in your apartment! That's a bit much to convince the neighbors that you're just decorating for Halloween!

Kuku_Kansas 7 years, 9 months ago

I had no idea that if you hit a deer, killing it, that you still have to obtain a deer tag.

Does this imply there is a quota on how many deer you can hit and kill in one season?

Emily Hadley 7 years, 9 months ago

"into an apartment"

So many bad ideas, yet they did it all anyway.

in response-- I believe you don't need a tag just because you hit a deer, but if you report it, then say you'd like to take the thing home and butcher it, you have to get a tag.

ForThePeople 7 years, 9 months ago

I'm right there with Sigmund on this one! Good grief.....some people! I'd bet they were college students too...hehehe!

riffraff 7 years, 9 months ago

You have to buy a tag if you hit one? I thought the sheriff gives you a tag if you want to take the deer for the meat.

smiles 7 years, 9 months ago

I have heard of bow season, rifle season, and now car season!?!?!?

fcraig 7 years, 9 months ago

No you dont have to buy a tag. The Sheriff's Office will give you a tag. If you are in possession of a deer, you have to have tag. It is a way for KDWP to keep track on the deer that is killed by MV. If there are several in one area they will try to have hunters either scare them or shoot them to get the deer out of the area. Believe it or not, the State of Kansas owns all the deer. I know this because I was a Deputy for LVCO and if one was hit or killed in a poaching, State of Kansas was the victim or owner.

lunacydetector 7 years, 9 months ago

i remember a few years ago some minister hit and killed a deer and donated it to the soup kitchen. he was ticketed for doing this good deed, but after much public outcry the judge threw it out.

i also remember that the health dept got some chinese restaurant in trouble because one of the employees had hit a deer so they decided to clean it on the kitchen floor of the restaurant washing the blood down the floor drain - guess that was a big health threat so they got ticketed.

then there was the guy who got arrested for smoking marijuana in the police station. he got sentenced to like 7 days or something, then he lit up a cigarette in the county poky and got a mandatory 30 days for using illegal contraband.

only in lawrence.

juscin3 7 years, 9 months ago

Can you imagine the mess they have to clean up???? Why in the world would you want to drag a dead deer into your home?? Never know these days with people! Hey Dear, don't worry about cooking meat tonight, I have it right here and then some!

Roadkill_Rob 7 years, 9 months ago

I think it's appropriate for me to chime in on this one...for the record, none of the three men were me.

don_burgess 7 years, 9 months ago

Why in the hell would you you try to bring a dead deer into your apartment?

There is a dead possum on the street corner in my neighborhood. Maybe I should call these guys to come pick it up for me.

idiots.