LJWorld.com weblogs The Lawrence Crime Blotter

Would-be robber dons mask, demands drugs

News from today's police reports:Prescription robbery: An unidentified man wearing a costume mask tried to rob a pharmacy of prescription drugs on Friday night, according to a Lawrence Police report released today. About 9:40 p.m., the man approached the counter at Walgreens, 3421 W. Sixth St., wearing a mask and demanded a prescription drug. The pharmacist, a 56-year-old Lawrence woman, refused to produce it, and the suspect pulled an unidentified metal object partially out of his pocket, according to a rport. The woman still refused to give him the drug, and he left the store on foot. Police canvassed the area but didn't find the man. Because of the ongoing investigation, LPD spokeswoman Kim Murphree wouldn't say what kind of mask or prescription drug it was.Church burglary: Lawrence Police are investigating a report that a 21-year-old man may have damaged an office door and stolen $145 in cash from Ecumenical Christian Ministries, 1204 Oread Ave., in two separate incidents early this month. The door at the ministry was damaged between Nov. 3 and Nov. 4, and the money was stolen between midnight and 4 a.m. Thursday.Guns seized: Lawrence Police recovered a stolen .22-caliber pistol and also seized a Norinco AK-90 rifle early Saturday morning in a traffic stop, but the suspect got away from police at the scene after a scuffle. According to a report, police were called by the Kansas Highway Patrol to investigate a vehicle that left the scene of an injury accident on the Kansas Turnpike. An LPD officer stopped a vehicle in the 600 block of Gateway Court, but the driver, a 26-year-old Emporia man, would not follow the officer's instructions to stay in the vehicle. He got out, pushed and wrestled with the officer, and ran from the scene, according to a report. Police found a weapon in the suspect's coat and another weapon in the vehicle he had been driving. Police believe they've identified the man, and a report on the case has been sent to the District Attorney's office for review. Stabbing:a 22-year-old Haskell Indian Nations University student went to Lawrence Memorial Hospital early Saturday morning after being stabbed in a fight at The Reserve apartments, 2511 W. 31st St. His injuries weren't life-threatening. A 20-year-old Lawrence man also was punched in the fight. Police say two unidentified men are suspects, and they have interviewed one "person of interest."Burglaries and thefts:¢ Regency Place: a 57-year-old Overland Park man had his 1997 Acura Integra, valued at $5,000, stolen between 9 p.m. Wednesday and 8:15 a.m. Thursday.¢ 2700 block of Iowa Street: A 27-year-old Lawrence woman had her 1988 Chevrolet Camaro, value at $3,000, stolen between 2:15 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. Thursday. A 36-year-old Lawrence man is the suspect. ¢ 600 block of Gateway Court: an 18-year-old woman had her Hewlett-Packard laptop, valued at $1,875, stolen between 4:15 a.m. and 5 p.m. Sunday.-contributed by [Eric Weslander.][1] [1]: http://www2.ljworld.com/staff/eric_weslander

Comments

suesay 7 years, 4 months ago

would the pharmacists malpractice insurance pay for the wrongful death lawsuit?

Irish_Prince 7 years, 5 months ago

I had a feeling that you are a "youngin'", gerbil boy.

karma_king 7 years, 5 months ago

I have a 1993 Honda I am dying to have stolen, it is just sitting in the parking lot of my old apartment complex...keys in ignition, doors unlicked. Please let me know if you know anyone that can steal it, I'll get the insurance up-to-date on it....

Marion Lynn 7 years, 5 months ago

Yes but the day will come when the "right" of a coporation to "defend" itself against the possibility of a lawsuit will no longer supercede the well-defined and inherent right of the vitizen to defend him or herself.

Thanks.

Marion.

Kelly Powell 7 years, 5 months ago

because it was a corporate owned business.....they would rather take the loss then end up in a wrongful death lawsuit.

Marion Lynn 7 years, 5 months ago

Why did the pharmacist not pull out a well identified .45 Colt Government Model and blow the guy away?

Thanks.

Marion.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 5 months ago

how come the guy who scuffled with police was not i.d.'ed since they know who he is! I'd wanna know if I knew this jerq.

loudmouthrealist 7 years, 5 months ago

Yeah,

old people know a lot.

Or at least that's what they think.

By the way, I am old, so, I am pretty sure that I know that old people think they know a lot.

Or do I just think I know that?

gerbilsniper 7 years, 5 months ago

sorry, being a college student...i haven't even been DRIVING for 10 or 12 years...

but maybe once i've racked up the years and become old and wise like you, i will become enlightened.

compmd 7 years, 5 months ago

that top 10 list is why I continue to only own european cars. :)

So, a question about the guy that punched and wrestled with officers: why wasn't he maced or something? I'd have preferred him shot, but some capsaicin to the face would have appeased me.

And stealing from a church? Come on.

Irish_Prince 7 years, 5 months ago

gerbil,

I've been noticing that too!

..............for only about the last, oh, I don't know....10 or 12 years now.

Marion Lynn 7 years, 5 months ago

The National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB®) has compiled a list of the 10 vehicles most frequently reported stolen in the U.S. in 2004.

1995 Honda Civic 1989 Toyota Camry 1991 Honda Accord 1994 Dodge Caravan 1994 Chevrolet Full Size C/K 1500 Pickup 1997 Ford F150 Series 1990 Acura Integra 1988 Toyota Pickup 1991 Nissan Sentra

gerbilsniper 7 years, 5 months ago

Has anyone else noticed that alot of Acura and Honda cars have been stolen recently?