LJWorld.com weblogs The Lawrence Crime Blotter

Man reports bathroom-stall peeping

For Lawrence, it's been an unusual day in the world of crime and punishment, with reports of blackmail, bathroom-stall peeping, disappearing bleachers, and a stolen church donation box.The details: ¢ Stall peeping: Lawrence Police are investigating a 20-year-old Lawrence man's report that he may have been photographed or videotaped while he was in a bathroom stall at the Lawrence Public Library, 707 Vt. The man told police he was using the restroom Tuesday evening on the library's lower level when he heard someone enter the stall next to him, saw a pair of blue tennis shoes under the stall pointing toward his stall, heard a noise, looked up and saw a camera cell phone pointing down into his stall. He said the suspect ran out of the restroom. The only description police have of the suspect is the shoes. ¢Blackmail case: Police arrested a 29-year-old Lawrence man Wednesday night on suspicion of trying to blackmail a manager at Hampton Court apartments, 1704 W. 24th St. The manager told police the suspect called her on the phone, accused her of telling tenants at the complex that he was a drug dealer, told her he would sue her, and asked her what "peace offering" she was willing to give in order for him not to sue her. "She said she'd not made any statements and was not going to give him anything," Lawrence Police spokeswoman Kim Murphree said. The manager's husband also spoke to the suspect, and he repeated his threat, police said. Police contact the suspect and arrested him.¢Donation-box heist: For the second time this week, items have been stolen from a campus-area church. Between 8:30 a.m. and 5 p.m. Wednesday, an unknown person stole $40 cash and a $100 brass donation box that had been sitting beside votive candles at St. Lawrence Catholic Center, 1631 Crescent Rd. Earlier in the week, an office was burglarized at University Christian Fellowship, 1204 Oread Ave.¢ Bleacher-theft epidemic? : Six sets of bleachers belonging to the city have been stolen in recent days. Between June 14 and 16, four sets were taken from YSI, 4911 W. 27th St., and two were taken from the city tennis court at 800 W. 21st St. They were valued at $13,200 total. Earlier this week, Kansas University Police discovered that two sets of aluminum bleachers had disappeared from Shenk Fields at 23rd and Iowa streets.Other crime reports released by police today:¢ A fight involving three people Wednesday night at 2434 W. 24th Terr. sent a 28-year-old Lawrence man to the hospital with internal injuries and a possible stab wound, according to a report. Police said the victim started a fight with a 33-year-old Lawrence man after an argument about a purchase. The 33-year-old and a 27-year-old man then battered the 28-year-old. The injured man was screaming at staff members at Lawrence Memorial Hospital and police had a hard time discerning exactly what happened, LPD spokeswoman Kim Murphree said. Alcohol is listed on a report as a contributing factor.¢ A 19-year-old Lawrence man told police a man he didn't know approached him and struck him with a beer bottle as he was getting out of his pickup truck Tuesday night at Meadowbrook Apartments near 15th Street and Crestline Drive. He was treated at Lawrence Memorial Hospital. Police know who the suspect is but haven't yet made contact with him, according to a report.¢ A 19-year-old Lawrence man lost $3,750 after cashing fraudulent U.S. Postal Service money orders, according to a report. The man told police he responded to an ad on the Internet that said he could make money by cashing the money orders, keeping 10 percent of the total, and sending the rest back to an out-of-country address. He received a batch of five money orders and cashed them at his bank June 7. Later, the bank contacted him to tell him they were fraudulent. The man received a second batch earlier this week and turned them over to police.¢ A 36-year-old Lawrence man sold a sofa, love seat and recliner through the Internet and later realized the money orders used to pay for the items were counterfeit. He lost $4,750.¢ A 61-year-old Lawrence man had a bicycle valued at $1,65 stolen between 7 p.m. Sunday and 6 a.m. Monday from his home in the 3400 block of Riverview Road, according to a report. ¢ Eight vehicles were sprayed with black spray paint between Monday and Tuesday in the 1400 block of Westbrook Street, according to a report.

Comments

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 6 months ago

well it is a switch having a guy getting peeped on, or at least hearing about it is new. But the library???

matahari 8 years, 6 months ago

I think the article said the bathroom that is in the basement...I don't know where that is located, and I don't think there is a guard stationed in the lower level. Although he did say he ran, you'd think someone would have noticed running in the library. Maybe he didn't report it right away. Seems as though everyone thinks it's funny since it happened to a man, but if it would have been a woman, what an uproar that would have made. I personally have seen 2 men expose themselves to me in the library. The last one that did it was just days before that got the guard station. none since then. Note the guards are not always at the station.

esubrett 8 years, 6 months ago

I always wondered who was falling for those internet scams. You always hear about older people getting suckered in but a 19 year old. Come on man. Always remember, "If it is too good to be true, it probably isn't".

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 6 months ago

I think the point was that maybe the gaurd saw the peeper and maybe could tell police but the article is small and I am sure not all the details are listed.

Dave McClain 8 years, 6 months ago

holygrailale, keen observation! Amazing that the peeper would have been hustling away, and that this activity would not have been "suspicious", one running out of the restrooms!

Wonder if the guard has a picture cell phone?

nonimbyks 8 years, 6 months ago

I saw one of them cars yesterday! It was a blue mustang with black spray on the drivers side, very impressionistic but no blance.

Berserk 8 years, 6 months ago

Librarians should have the right to refuse service to anyone for reasons that do not have to be specified.

I am sure they have to have deal with alot of sh!theads that just hang out for no reason at all. Or homeless people becuase they have heat.

Get out of the Library, go pull this crap at the courthouse, or the DMV, nobody cares what happens there.

compmd 8 years, 6 months ago

What happened to that 19-year old is a tragedy. How could he have known it was a scam? I mean, frank123994@yahoo.com couldn't just choose ANYONE from the Internet to cash these money orders. He chose this one guy from Lawrence. Seriously, this guy out of the country must have been exiled or the lawyer for a family that died in a plane crash, or the son of a politician in some African country, and he needed help. I'm sure he is quite happy that someone kind, thoughtful, and gullible obliged.

Sigmund 8 years, 6 months ago

The parts I found funny were, in no particular order; the Blackmail case (what an idiot), the fight where "Alcohol is listed on a report as a contributing factor" (huh, who would have guessed?), and the $3,750 dollar loss to fraudulent US Postal orders (I guess the Nigerian postal scam does work!).

If the 19 year old is reading this, then: With much sincerity of purpose I make this contact with you. After satisfactory information about you and your company I am willing to negotiate a serious business relationship with you believing that you will provide me a feasible solution It is my sincere pleasure to intimate you with this mutual business proposal which will certainly benefit you and me.

My new boss "Boog" of the Lawrence City Kommission, PLC confirms that as the City Manager I am entitled to sign any agreement as after approval by the Kommission the following products and services; 1) Selling for Third Parties any product related to New Laibrary, 2) Buying for Third Parties any product, etc. related to New Library.

I am interested in investing in your company products. With your acceptance of this proposal it is mandatory of you to sign a Memorandum of Understanding for a long-term period of investment. After this you will be given the Power of Attorney over a $75,000,000 USD (Seventy Five Million Dollars) and this I am sure will lead us to a life-long partner relationship. Looking forward to your speedy response so that we can proceed immediately. Yours Faithfully, Sigmund

bearded_gnome 8 years, 6 months ago

Siggy, I'm disappointed, you didn't offer to sell him the roundabouts. now, there's hot property.

Confrontation 8 years, 6 months ago

"Just goes to show that you can lead a person to a computer but you can't make him think."

That's funny!

mommy3 8 years, 6 months ago

Give the kid a break! No one really knows his situation. What if he was so dirt poor he would have done anything for money. I have a family of five on one income, I know what it's like to be hurting for cash. Plus, thinking of my own KU student brother (20), after receiving the actual money orders, he would have done the same thing....I don't know, Maybe I would too! I'm just saying, stop harrassing him, he made a mistake, and it's a shame the lesson he had to learn was how crappy this world is turning out to be.

Nikki May 8 years, 6 months ago

"Police said the victim started a fight with a 33-year-old Lawrence man after an argument about a purchase."

Really? What kind of purchase? Are we sure it was alcohol that was making the guy incoherent?

Also, what's up with the bleachers? Where would you hide those???