LJWorld.com weblogs The Lawrence Crime Blotter

Air gun nips woman near South Park

News from this morning's police briefing:¢ A 24-year-old woman told Lawrence police she may have been hit by a BB gun or similar air gun Wednesday night while walking near South Park. The woman said she and a friend were walking along the west side of Mass. Street about 9:50 p.m. when she heard a "pop" sound and felt a sharp pain in her shoulder blade. She told police she looked around but didn't see anything suspicious in the immediate area, according to a report. She told police she had a welt on her shoulder but wasn't seriously injured.¢ Someone caused $150 in damage to glass on the front entrance door of Century School, 816 Ky., between 5 p.m. Tuesday and 7:30 a.m. Wednesday. ¢ Two auto burglaries happened early Monday in the 400 block of Eldridge Street, according to police reports released this morning. A CD player and $1,600 worth of compact discs were stolen from one; a $2,000 laptop computer was taken from the other. ¢ The engine of a $30,000 Gleaner combine caught fire Wednesday afternoon in a wheat field near North 680 and East 1050 Road, according to the Douglas County Sheriff's Office. The fire had to be extinguished by the Willow Springs Township fire department. -Contributed by [Eric Weslander.][1] [1]: www2.ljworld.com/staff/eric_weslander

Comments

Bill Smith 8 years, 4 months ago

crime is rampant in Lawrence town!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 4 months ago

"A CD player and $1,600 worth of compact discs were stolen from one; a $2,000 laptop computer was taken from the other. "

Wow. I cannot believe that people leave stuff like that in a car. Thieves will take ANYTHING. I've had two BIBLES taken from my cars over the years.

gccs14r 8 years, 4 months ago

Who leaves original CDs in a car? That's what CD burners are for. Leaving a laptop out overnight isn't particularly bright, either.

Rick Aldrich 8 years, 4 months ago

you leave something with any kind of value in a vehicle over night or for any period of time, i'm sorry but you deserve what you get. daaaaaaaaaaaa.

junco_partner 8 years, 4 months ago

I didn't have anything in my truck - so they stole it instead!!!

southerngirl 8 years, 4 months ago

I leave my car door unlocked all of the time-at the store, at home, in bad neighborhoods- and no one will steal it...take my car-PLEASE!!!

paladin 8 years, 4 months ago

Move on out to Valley Falls. None of that badstuff goes on. We like each other.

BigMitch 8 years, 4 months ago

Is there a reason these people might have shot her?

reginafliangie 8 years, 4 months ago

Well, yeah, you know your not allowed to walk on sidewalks after 10:00. Thats when all the monsters come out.

reginafliangie 8 years, 4 months ago

southerngirl, I bet if you park it by the homeless shelter it would be missing in no time...

nonimbyks 8 years, 4 months ago

Man, give these people a break, they've been tramatized by these events. Was she really hit with a BB gun or by a pellet?

Leaving the doors unlocked on your car is still stupid if you don't leave the windows down too. Criminals won't check the lock first and STILL bust up the door or window.

squishypoet 8 years, 4 months ago

I couldn't lock the doors in my old car-- didn't have a key for them. Sometimes if I was just running in someplace for a minute I'd even leave the keys in the ignition. I figured if anyone was desperate enough to steal my pos car, they needed it way more than I did.

Michael Stanclift 8 years, 4 months ago

Who the hell keeps $1,600 worth of CDs in the car anyways? I hardly ever have more than 10 in there at any one time and they're almost all copies of the originals.

nonimbyks 8 years, 4 months ago

I've kept, something like 6-10 CDs and like 4 copies/mp3s. Sounds like an insurance scam to me on that one.

nonimbyks 8 years, 4 months ago

Let's see.... $1,600... CDs at lets say avg $10-$12 for new releases and all of them are of such pop music... 133.3-160 CDs in the car. Did they have one of them fancy 120 disk changers?

superduper 8 years, 4 months ago

The blotter is so great :) It's like Sim City 3000 where you get messages when the pee-ons are unhappy.

matahari 8 years, 4 months ago

NIPS????reminiscint of Frida Kahlos' painting..I would say 'nips' is another world for 'that hurt, and darn bad!!!!' Wuold you like to get hit by one? Think not~ PS A reason to shoot her?? Hmm, that sounds like pretty frightening statement to me..

delta77 8 years, 4 months ago

Yeah, if my car was broken into, I would claim that I had $1600 in CDs in there too. Good insurance money. :rollseyes:

infernoday 8 years, 4 months ago

I live in san francisco now, and crime there is nothing like here. I saw a car today that had a sign on the back window that said "no stereo in car, please dont break window."

old_man 8 years, 4 months ago

I guess I am living in the past for I only have cassette tapes in my truck. No sense wasting good money buying a CD when the music is free to tape on the radio. $1600 in CDs... wish I had money like that to blow!