LJWorld.com weblogs The Lawrence Crime Blotter

Police investigating rape

Police were called to a home in central Lawrence just before 3 am Tuesday, after a 21-year-old woman reported she was raped. The Lawrence Police Department is releasing few details about the incident other than the victim reported an unidentified man sexually assaulted her.According to Lawrence Police Department spokeswoman Kim Murphree, officers were still on the scene late Tuesday morning canvassing the neighborhood and following leads. Police ask anyone with information on the rape to call the anonymous CrimeStoppers hotline at 843-TIPS or the Lawrence Police Detective Division directly at 830-7430.- Contributed by [Janet Reid.][1] [1]: http://www.6newslawrence.com/staff/janet_reid/

Comments

justsomewench 8 years, 3 months ago

central lawrence? so women between kasold and mass and 6th and 31st are the only ones to worry, eh? ...

Jackson 8 years, 3 months ago

How about a description?

White, black, brown, yellow,green, purple, beard, hair, no hair, etc...

Why bother?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 3 months ago

Anyone who has read many of my posts knows how worked up I get over drugs. But, RAPE... now that one really pisses me off. I don't even know how to explain it, but it just fires me up. I can watch human entrails being splattered everywhere in 'Saving Private Ryan', but I nearly had to leave the room during that rape scene in 'Accused'.

I hope she was able to give some sort of description.

If any of you have a "creepy" roomate who was mysteriously missing last night and acting "odd" today, just call the cops. That goes for husbands, boyfriends, etc., too. This guy isn't walking around wearing a shirt that says "Guess who I raped last night?", so a tip from an informant can go a long way.

big_blue 8 years, 3 months ago

i agree with jackson...why not release a nearby intersection and a description!?!

if the police are asking for information, maybe they could let us know who they're looking for and where they're looking. maybe then nearby residents can think back if they saw anyone fitting that description last night.

DubbleDukes 8 years, 3 months ago

well, if they said they were canvassing the neighborhood, you'd think they were asking the neighbors if they saw anything around that time frame. but ur right, for the rest of us an intersection would be nice cuz you never know, one of the actual neighbors might not have seen anything, but a motorist driving by might have.

so yea, an intersection with a suspect profile would be nice.

reginafliangie 8 years, 3 months ago

The officers can't release that information while an investigation is going on (the description). But please people, always lock your doors at home, even if you are at home. Always lock your car, even while you are in it. Don't open your door to anyone you don't know. If you unsure, call the police. Be safe out there.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 3 months ago

"The officers can't release that information while an investigation is going on"

Really? What about how the cops release police sketches, like they did with the Unibomber?

reginafliangie 8 years, 3 months ago

That was after the initial investigation began. This just happened in the last 24 hours. Let them get the info and correctly before releasing it.

justsomewench 8 years, 3 months ago

the general neighborhood is too detail-oriented to post? give me a break. for our own safety, they could post that much info. i'd like to know if it's safe to go on a walk with my daughter or to the park to hunt fireflies or not.

typical of the LJW and the LPD. shoddy.

Calliope877 8 years, 3 months ago

Rape pisses me off too. I think it's every woman's worst, instinctive fear.

I was nearly attacked once, but I was able to fight him off. It's amazing how cowardly they become when you actually fight back. Most sexual predators don't expect their victims to fight them. I was more pissed off than scared when it happened, and I think that extra adrenalin rush boosted my strength so much that I actually knocked the @sshole to the ground. He wanted to get away from me by that point. He was never caught or prosecuted. But maybe it made him think twice before attacking someone else.

As a woman, I think more women need to tap into that primal mode of self-defense. Self-defense classes definately help with confidence, but I think all women have that natural strength to overcome an attacker once that strength is tapped into. But unfortunately, I think too many parents condition their little girls to be meek -- "sugar and spice and everything nice" -- so a lot of women are "frozen" with fear when they're attacked. I don't think a lot of parents realize that they're conditioning their little girls to be victims. And I think way too many women out there feel helpless, and are not aware of their own strength, and that's what predators look for...the sick bastards.

justsomewench 8 years, 3 months ago

so, much against my will, i actually watch the channel 6 evening news and, apparently, this little blotter article was just a practice run on her cue cards. she read the article verbatim. you'd think she could use that journalism background and at least rearrange the sentences or throw a new adjective in. must be a tough job.

i find it hard to believe that, by 6pm, the police have no new details or can't release any other information because they're convinced he's still hiding in someone's trash can.

aren't reporters supposed to ask questions?

Fatty_McButterpants 8 years, 3 months ago

"justsomewench": man, you sound like you have a rather large chip on your shoulder. First, the article never said anything about "women between kasold and mass and 6th and 31st are the only ones to worry, eh? ..." That was your own little addition. The article simply identified where it happened.

Second, maybe the police aren't releasing any new details! Just because they have uncovered details it doesn't mean that they are going to hand them out to the local press as soon as they become aware of them.

justsomewench 8 years, 3 months ago

a chip? god forbid i'm a single woman living in a new-to-me neighborhood in "central lawrence". am i not supposed to care? if we're not supposed to care, why release the story at all?

Susan Mangan 8 years, 3 months ago

I had our police scanner on last night because we had a sudden power outage in our area (Prairie Park) and we were trying to find out what was going on. I heard the rape call. I understand why they don't want certain details released, but anything going over a public airwave is available for public knowledge and I believe the safety of the community comes first. What really surprised me (and, honestly, made me angry) was that one officer told another that this appeared "like the other one". I'm not implying anything and you can read what you like into that. But my first comment to my husband was, "Does that mean we've already had a rape in town we aren't aware of?" I didn't hear the entire conversation so I won't pretend to be an expert on what they were talking about, but I do believe the LPD has a bad habit of keeping information that SHOULD be public quiet.

That being said, I do know the call was made in the area of 19th and Iowa...I won't say the exact street, but it was within a few blocks. I know information changes after interviews and I know that exact details can be difficult for victims to remember, but the police, at least initially, reported to dispatch that the victim reported that the subject was wearing a mask and had a knife and gun. How much of that turned out to be true, I have no idea, because I went to bed long before they wrapped up their investigation.

All of that was information publically dispatched over the airwaves. The police are routinely asked to call dispatch ("public service" is the term) when they don't want to discuss things publically. I certainly hope they solve this and catch the evil SOB who did this, but I sincerely believe that we have a right to know if we should feel safe or threatened, where crimes occur, and what to look out for.

If the police come knocking on my door now, I can guess why. But I have the right to know where crimes occur around me, in my opinion, and I hope some of you feel the same.

And, just in case anyone is wondering why I have a scanner...I got one last summer after a man police were chasing was caught in my driveway (by my dog) but no one would tell me why he was being chased and if I should be worried. The police were over a block away and we had to call them to tell them about the guy being there, but they still wouldn't give me any clue. If someone is on my property, I have a right to know what they're wanted for, I think.

Susan Mangan 8 years, 3 months ago

Ok...sorry to blab on...but this just occured to me.

If the police don't want certain things known, why are they using their radios to discuss them? Apparently, it doesn't happen in Lawrence, but TV stations and reporters routinely use scanners to gather information. I know a lot more details about this crime than I have posted. I heard things I wouldn't want publicly announced if I were a crime victim.

Do other departments routinely handle investigations like this, if anyone knows? I really am concerned that some seemingly important and/or private information can be acquired so easily.

And, FYI, I never did find out why the power went out all over this area.

justsomewench 8 years, 3 months ago

Thanks for something, VOR. The LJW/LPD follow-up was just as lacking as I suspected it would be. These folks live in a bubble.

The newsworthiness of this paper is resembling USAToday more and more.

incognito 8 years, 3 months ago

It was 19th and Stewart. Chase Court Apartments.