LJWorld.com weblogs The Lawrence Crime Blotter

Young girl caught in lawnmower

A 2-year-old girl visiting her great grandparents' home in Eudora Saturday morning was sent to Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, Mo., after her mother accidentally backed over her foot with a riding lawnmower.The girl's mother had been mowing the lawn, when her daughter ran up behind the lawn mower unexpectedly, Eudora Police Sgt. Greg Neis said. Neis said the mother believed her daughter was across the yard playing when she put the lawn mower in reverse to avoid driving over gravel."It was just an accident," Neis said. "It was one of those things were you needed eyes in the back of your head."The girl suffered severe foot injuries, Battalion Chief Jerry Karr from Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical said. An air ambulance transported her to Children's Mercy, Karr said.Neis said that Eudora Police Chief Greg Dahlem would release the girl's name on Monday.

Comments

old_man 8 years, 7 months ago

Better watch out for the traffic saftey commission... they might start thinking you'll need a license to ride a lawn mower!

Steve Jacob 8 years, 7 months ago

I din't not know a 2 year old maybe losing a foot was supposed to be funny?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 7 months ago

Scary. You gotta watch little kids ALL THE TIME.

Groucho 8 years, 7 months ago

Why does the main page link say "Crime Blotter" for this article? The article itself leads by using the adverb "accidentally". Is anyone even suspecting some crime here?

Groucho 8 years, 7 months ago

Oh duh. Never mind. I see now. Crime Blotter is a kind of recurring or regular feature and this article just happened to be placed in it. I take it no one has suggested anything criminal in this tragic incident yet.

mztrendy 8 years, 7 months ago

what a terrible thing to have happen. My thoughts go out to the 2 year old and her family.

Steve Jacob 8 years, 7 months ago

That goes along with a news clip I saw on TV a couple of months ago. They where showing how bad SUV and most trunks where when they was backing out. They would place an orange cone right behind the SUV and see how far you could drive forward to see it. Some tomes 80 feet! They call it the 'good-bye" factor, when a 2-3 year old wonders to the car saying bye.

KansasPerson 8 years, 7 months ago

I completely agree with you, Marion -- those things are serious machinery. You go farther than I do (I don't even own steel-toe boots!) but at least I always put on regular shoes and usually long pants too (although that's rather awful when it's 99 degrees out).

Having been clipped by debris while using a string trimmer, I decided it was the right thing to do.

My thoughts also go out to this little girl and her family, especially the mom.

christie 8 years, 7 months ago

Macon, Why get political. As a hard-core Liberal, I suggest you go to church tonite and pray for the little one and her family.

Sigmund 8 years, 7 months ago

Oh man, this is so sad. I do hope and pray for a full recovery. Serious machinery indeed.

Ceallach 8 years, 7 months ago

My heart goes out to the child and her mother. I pray for their physical and mental recovery. Children's Mercy is a wonderful facility. We are very lucky to have it so close. God bless them all.

mommy3 8 years, 7 months ago

That is terrible! It really makes you think. As a Mommy of three, I know you have to watch them every second, but sometimes they slip through even the tightest security. Kids act on that second empulse. I always tell my 3 year old, "Never to go running up to Daddy when he is on the mower." The time she forgot my warnings, and ran toward him, I ran as fast as I could and yelled as loud as possible. I made such a scarry scene to her, that she hasn't done it since. My heart really goes out to her and her family. It's never a good thing to be hurt, but when your too young to understand, it makes it way worse for everyone involved.

I am so glad that no one is making the Mom out to be a bad guy. Things happen. I actually feel sorry for the Mom in KCK after the police charged her with Child neglect after her 2 year old daughter let herself out of the house at 5:00am. I wake up to every little noise, but if I was gone over night and my husband had all three kids, all night. He sleeps through everything, I know he would miss the front door being opened by our child. Do I think he is a bad Daddy? NO WAY!! He loves his kids more than anything in the world! I just think sometimes, even the best Mommy's make mistakes!!

blahblah 8 years, 7 months ago

I am an aunt to this little girl, and it is so nice to see all the caring thoughts here... I'll pass on your thoughts and prayers to my sister and her family, I'm sure they will be greatly appreciated.

Please keep them in your prayers.

yummymummyjessie 8 years, 7 months ago

My husband and I are friends with this family and our thoughts are with them. The mother is a very loving and responsible woman. This was a tragic accident. We're praying for her and her family.

ku_toytank 8 years, 7 months ago

I am a grandmother (aka: Oma) of this little girl. Opa & I would like to thank everyone for their prayers & support during this most tragic time in our daughter's life. Our daughter just completed 1st Aid classes for her Preschool so she knew what to do to stop the bleeding & ease the pain. This was a tragic accident & they need all the prayers you can give them. Alexis has lost about half of her left foot & will have several surgeries this next week. Childrens Mercy is most impressive with their care not only for our little one but also for mommy & daddy. Alexis is a very healty, spunky little girl and she will recover. She will heal much faster than mommy & daddy. PLEASE keep the family in your prayers.

Oma & Opa