LJWorld.com weblogs The Lawrence Crime Blotter

Lug nuts disappearing

News from today's police briefing:¢ Check your wheels: At least three people have reported lug nuts stolen from their Hondas in recent days around Lawrence- one near 9th and Iowa, one in the 100 block of Compton Square, and one in the 2400 block of University Drive. Two of the cars were Honda Civics, and one was an Accord.¢ Meat store burglary: The Douglas County Sheriff's Office responded to a burglary alarm about 12:45 a.m. today at Kroeger's Country Meats in Lecompton. When they arrived, they found the front glass door had been broken with a newspaper rack. Investigation led them to a man passed out on the porch of a home a few blocks to the east who appeared to be under the influence of alcohol. Nothing was taken from the store. The man arrested was identified as Robert V. Leon, 36, of Eudora. ¢ Apartments entered: Two different apartments at the same complex at 2600 W. Sixth St. were burglarized earlier this week while the occupants slept inside, according to reports. In the first case, someone stole more than $2,800 worth of property including a laptop computer and digital camera between 2 a.m. and 8:30 a.m. Sunday. Then, either late Monday or early Tuesday, someone entered a different apartment and stole more than $2,000 worth of items including CDs, DVDs and a Jimi Hendrix poster. They also took the keys to a Ford Explorer that was parked outside and used them to steal the vehicle.-Contributed by [Eric Weslander.][1] [1]: www2.ljworld.com/staff/eric_weslander

Comments

as_I_live_and_breathe 8 years, 2 months ago

thingy,thingy,thingy,thingy,thingy,thingy,thingy,thingy,thingy,thingy!!!!!!! THANG!!!!!

bearded_gnome 8 years, 2 months ago

yeah, livey, I was stunned to see your post removed. maybe they have a "thingy" limit and you'd hit it that day?
puzzled.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 2 months ago

Once again, the moral of the story is "LOCK YOUR DOOR". When I lived in Templin Hall 20-odd years ago, we had guys who simply went around checking door handles in the middle of the night. They'd creep in, and take wallets. It still baffles me that people are so naive that they think they can just NOT lock the door at night.

badger 8 years, 2 months ago

Lug nuts?

I'm sorry, I can't do it. The puns are just too easy.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 2 months ago

hello lug nuts are on the outside of your car. yeah way to easy so....

Dave McClain 8 years, 2 months ago

badger, thanks for stopping the onslot before it occurs.

mztrendy 8 years, 2 months ago

it takes a lot of balls to steal some nuts....

sorry guys.

Ken Miller 8 years, 2 months ago

According to Japanese lore, lug nuts from Honda vehicles can be ground up and used as a very powerful aphrodysiac.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 2 months ago

news flash THE SKY IS FALLING opps no wait that is rain never mind.

Sandra Willis 8 years, 2 months ago

Hey, I know Lug Nut ... he's a big dog living here in Lawrence. part Husky, part Terrier ... and very sweet .... Leave him alone, please!

chuckle, Bodan

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 2 months ago

I am so dissapointed I thought for sure that there would be a bunch of nut jokes by now boo hoo so sad.

trinity 8 years, 2 months ago

nut jokes are fun, i agree...but i have a precious young'un who HAS a honda civic!!! so i'm a lil' touchy 'bout this.

if my babygirl has ANY difficulties with her car because some buffoon has taken the lugs off her wheels-there'll be hell to pay from one VERY mad momma! :-/

(seems like a tire iron would be my friend)

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 2 months ago

well trinity if she does and I hope she does not they can get this guy on more charges.

jayhawkster 8 years, 2 months ago

I've got enormous lugnuts. I'd be glad to share if the ballsy thief takes your babygirl's.

mztrendy 8 years, 2 months ago

I think these thieves must be real dicks.

SpeedRacer 8 years, 2 months ago

Several lug nuts were sighted at city hall.

jayhawkster 8 years, 2 months ago

Lug nuts and a meat store, huh? They could have saved themselves some time and just stopped by Casa de Mypants. I'd let them right in.

reginafliangie 8 years, 2 months ago

Somebody has wayyyyyyyyyy to much time on their hands in the middle of the night....I'm thinking the guy by the store was wasted and hungry...he was thinking midnight snack, or 4am snack....hey you got a whole store, why not go for it....lol

as_I_live_and_breathe 8 years, 2 months ago

??? Don't you need a special thingy to get your nuts off.... no wait that's not I mean. well yes that is what I mean but not what you're thinking so .... argh.

I have to have this special "thingy" ( I think that is the technical term) to change my tire.... so do all like car makes use the same "thingy"...????

earth_gurl 8 years, 2 months ago

I lived at the apartment complex on 6th street where the people had burglarized unlocked apartments. That place is a hole for theft-I had my window bashed out once and had my car broken into three seperate times with a crowbar. I would not recommend anyone decent with nice stuff to move into that complex-I had more bad experiences there than anywhere else I've lived and I wonder if the people who stole the stuff recently were the ones that stole from me.

as_I_live_and_breathe 8 years, 2 months ago

My dad had a car that he rigged to shock anyone that touched it.... yes probably a safty hazard but..... it was funny as hell to watch a policeman try to put a ticket on the windshield.... um until he came in the diner and found us in tears at the window.... fortunatley it was years ago and they were gun trading buddies so no charges were filed ... for the charge (sorry couldn't resist.) (ha resist I kill myself)

Any way I sure wish we could do that now. wouldn't have to "lock my car and take my keys to so's not to help a good boy go bad" just go restart their heart put out the fire and send them home

bearded_gnome 8 years, 2 months ago

well, it does my heart good to see another poster (besides me) using the highly technical jargonized term: "thingy!"
I believe that we'd all be better off if we tried to use it in a sentence each day.
Judge: "bailiff, unlock that thingy and bring in the prisoner." lawyer: "Your honor, I present this legal thingy for your approval."

now, we all know, no real problem with this crime wave, because there's always lots of loose lugnuts around lawrence, easy to find! don't even require a magnet thingy.

jayhawks71 8 years, 2 months ago

OldEnuf, we live in a nanny-state nation. People want the government to protect them. Good luck!

as_I_live_and_breathe 8 years, 2 months ago

justsomewench 8 years, 2 months ago

lugnuts, eh? what a bizarre crime.

is there an outbreak of honda hate? how much can used lugnuts cost? obviously the culprit's own tires were already secure enough to travel across town to nut nab. you'd think a single trip to a salvage yard would've been the brighter move all around.

thank goodness these folks noticed their missing bolts. for as amusing the story is in passing, it could've yielded some pretty tragic results. it'd serve other honda owners well to check theirs. a loosened lugnut just delays the danger a short bit.

as_I_live_and_breathe 8 years, 2 months ago

???? what was in my wopjollied post that needed censorship....????? and who did it???????Did I offend a southern reader? is Kittycorner a bad word? seriously. I am offended!

as_I_live_and_breathe 8 years, 2 months ago

so no one will fess up to the deed huh maybe the same person that stole the lug nuts stole my post ;oP...

Charles L Bloss Jr 8 years, 1 month ago

This is in reference to the two aggravated burglaries mentioned in the crime blotter. You should plan to protect yourselves, law enforcement cannot be there to do it. In most cases, they arrive after the fact. This is one reason why we worked so hard to get concealed carry passed. Imagine coming home, when you do not have an alarm system, and confronting a burglar in your home. Your life is in danger because a lot of burglaries are done to get drug money, and the burglar is most probably under the influence and armed. This is a very good reason to carry a firearm, or have one at home. But it's a better reason to have an alarm system in the first place, so you have a much better probability of knowing no one is in your home when you walk in. Be careful, thank you, Lynn