LJWorld.com weblogs The Lawrence Crime Blotter

Young children suspected of theft

¢ A 31-year old woman reports over $8,000 in missing items from her home in the 1700 block of West 20th Street. She told police that a group of neighborhood children ranging in age from 7-12 entered her home through a back door on Saturday.She said they took items such as jewelry, perfume, video games, and clothing and children's toys, police reported. One of the parents of a young girl found some items and returned them. Police are still looking for one more suspect, but they have contacted the parents of the others. After that police will send the case to the D.A. who will determine how to proceed.¢ A teenager arrested for auto burglary is now linked to five similar crimes. After catching the 17-year-old in the middle of an auto burglary Monday morning, police canvassed the 2500 block of Crestline Circle and found 5 other cars that been broken into. Items were missing from two of the cars including a key chain and a tool box. The boy ran from officers about 2:10 a.m. Monday, then went through the back door and out the front door of an occupied home, according to police. He was caught a short distance away. Police arrested the boy and took him to the juvenile- detention center. ¢ A 36-year-old Lawrence female is suspected of taking funds from a business without permission. Police are investigating the theft from IHOP on the 3100 block of Iowa Street.

Comments

Confrontation 8 years, 2 months ago

I hope the D.A. is hard on these kids, considering their parents will just give them a 5-minute timeout.

audvisartist 8 years, 2 months ago

Don't kids have anything better to do with their summer vacations these days?

trinity 8 years, 2 months ago

unbefreakin'lievable!

great posts RI! :)

Ken Miller 8 years, 2 months ago

But if we had a park within a 1/4 mile of each of the kid's homes, they most certainly wouldn't be forced into a life of petty thievery.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 2 months ago

"She told police that a group of neighborhood children ranging in age from 7-12 entered her home through a back door on Saturday."

This almost reads as if she was a witness to the crime.

mom_of_three 8 years, 2 months ago

It sounds like the kids took the stuff, and it was returned when the threat of the police call became a reality, and/or their parents found out about the crime.

Luxor 8 years, 2 months ago

She needs to press charges against those brats. They'll just get worse as they get older since they obviously have no parents who are doing any parenting.

amac 8 years, 2 months ago

wondering why people don't lock their doors...

mztrendy 8 years, 2 months ago

broke into a car and took a keychain? For real?

cutny 8 years, 2 months ago

Gee, I don't know...that list doesn't seem like it adds up to $8000 large to me...more like $800 worth of crap. Yeah, I'm sure the D.A.'s really gonna throw the book at 'em. Probably mulling it over with the mayor as I type this.

EasilyAmused 8 years, 2 months ago

I wonder - did the kid sit there and take the keys off the keychain? If so - that'd be a good half hour for someone to notice the theft in process...

classclown 8 years, 2 months ago

Posted by JLoh21 (anonymous) on July 12, 2006 at 4:51 p.m. (Suggest removal)

oscarfactor: You #$&%$ liberal. You think the kids stole because they didn't have a park within a quarter mile of their house???? Are you &$&^%$@ kidding?????

==============================================

It's pretty obvious that he was.

flames_over_the_wasteland 8 years, 2 months ago

Wow, jloh21, you freakin' conservative, the concept of sarcasm escapes you. It's probably because you read things literally.

BorderRat 8 years, 2 months ago

If there was a park near by, I bet they could nail the kids for playing in the fountain also.

Berserk 8 years, 2 months ago

Hey, why don't they ever say what race the person is who got caught? and what part of town they are from?

Might be more interesting :D

truemother 8 years, 2 months ago

Too all you readers -

Perhaps you should get the Parents intake regarding the children & this case. I will admit my children were involved in this specific case, and I gurantee that they will never try something like this again.

Sorry to disappoint the reader that thinks a mother like me would only give a simple 5 minute timeout. They are in DEEP with me & now are not even allowed outside without a responsible adult with them.

This was their first time & if I have anything to do on influencing their future choices, it will be their last criminal activity they are ever in.

They were not aware of $$$ value when they were doing this unbelievable act. And when I saw the belongings in my house, I got to the bottom of it & made the kids personally take the belongings back to the owners.

We were not aware of the police being called until after we were already at the door delivering the items.

Kids make stupid mistakes & as long as us "Parents" teach them when they are wrong.,...they should learn.

We were all kids at one time, and shouldn't be so judgemental. I admit I never did anything like this, but if I had, I gurantee that I would have got my butt whipped like there was no tomorrow.

The problem these days with our children & juvenile delinquency - is that we can't discipline our children like our grandparents were raised.

I hope to God that my kids learn from this. All we can do is wait & see what becomes of their stupidity. Crime doesn't pay - they will do their time as the D.A may see fit.

bjayhawk 8 years, 2 months ago

I don't think a public internet forum is an appropriate for ANY issues. Do you think any of you here solve the problems that you bicker and disagree about? Yes, you're smart if you can make jokes about another roundabout or another ban or another whatever. Free speech sure, but most of what I read on these message board is a disgrace to the Lawrence community.

brujablanco 8 years, 2 months ago

truemother:

Marion is correct - keep your mouth shut until you have representation. It would be nice if your neighbors would keep quiet as well.