LJWorld.com weblogs The Lawrence Crime Blotter

Young children suspected of theft

¢ A 31-year old woman reports over $8,000 in missing items from her home in the 1700 block of West 20th Street. She told police that a group of neighborhood children ranging in age from 7-12 entered her home through a back door on Saturday.She said they took items such as jewelry, perfume, video games, and clothing and children's toys, police reported. One of the parents of a young girl found some items and returned them. Police are still looking for one more suspect, but they have contacted the parents of the others. After that police will send the case to the D.A. who will determine how to proceed.¢ A teenager arrested for auto burglary is now linked to five similar crimes. After catching the 17-year-old in the middle of an auto burglary Monday morning, police canvassed the 2500 block of Crestline Circle and found 5 other cars that been broken into. Items were missing from two of the cars including a key chain and a tool box. The boy ran from officers about 2:10 a.m. Monday, then went through the back door and out the front door of an occupied home, according to police. He was caught a short distance away. Police arrested the boy and took him to the juvenile- detention center. ¢ A 36-year-old Lawrence female is suspected of taking funds from a business without permission. Police are investigating the theft from IHOP on the 3100 block of Iowa Street.

Comments

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 9 months ago

Apperently they spoke with Keri whempe at the LPD, they showed up in the neighborhood about 4 p.m. or so and spoke with the victims daughter then spoke with the neighbor. I spoke with Keri whempe yesterday and she said witnesses are listed on the front public information sheet. Also a LPD detective came to the neighborhood while both KCTV 5 and Fox 4 were on the scene. I believe the victims have completed their move as of last night, the 2 news crews tried to speak with the victim when she returned to the house but she threatened them with her dogs. My understanding is thaat the suitcase of sex toys and bikes are still gone and that the victim has realized other items are missing that were not included in the initial report.

The police were clearly at a loss for how to proceed with the perpatrators given their ages. The victim stated because she had experienced problems in her own youth did not want charges filed and gave a stern lecture to the kids before they left with their mothers to go home that night, but given the magnitude of the situation the D.A. will probably fille charges anyway.

As I said before it will be difficult to apply penaties for this as the children are quite young and from my observations do not have a clear understanding of the ramifications of the act itself; with the exception of the older boy who is by his own admission quite savy in the ways of crime and punishment. ( I would consider him the ring leader in the entire situation) I think the girls ( especially the younger two) were simpling enticed by the shiney stones of the jewelery( diamonds are a girls best friend)

My greater concern is that the kids involved have a history of being out and unsupervised. I suppose for many moms it is easy to say "go play" but these kids have been out very late at night and for hours on end often. I have intervened in mny situations where I saw bad judegment being used that could escalate in the absence of other adults. In particular the older boy seems bent on trouble and has no shame in saying so. I have over several months time spoken with various Law Enforcement about my concerns and the lack of parental supervision related to this group of kids. The season itself being summer increases liklihood of incidents because of time available for mischief.

Moira 7 years, 9 months ago

enforcer - why would they take your kids and not someone else's? I am confused. How did KC TV 5 find out?

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 9 months ago

Hey if it were my kids the cops would have hauled them away without question, these kids involved are not properly supervised because their mothers do no chosse to be bothered. They live on another street yet come over to reelk havoc away from home for hours on end, I have a right to speak out about such clear lack of parental guidence when they dump their job on me.

brujablanco 7 years, 9 months ago

truemother:

Marion is correct - keep your mouth shut until you have representation. It would be nice if your neighbors would keep quiet as well.

Marion Lynn 7 years, 9 months ago

And what is with a name like "BJ-hawk", anyway?

BAWHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Thanks.

Marion.

Marion Lynn 7 years, 9 months ago

Oh, poo-poo on you, bjayhawk.

Thanks.

Marion.

bjayhawk 7 years, 9 months ago

I don't think a public internet forum is an appropriate for ANY issues. Do you think any of you here solve the problems that you bicker and disagree about? Yes, you're smart if you can make jokes about another roundabout or another ban or another whatever. Free speech sure, but most of what I read on these message board is a disgrace to the Lawrence community.

Marion Lynn 7 years, 9 months ago

Check out the KCTV5 site for a video on this matter!

Too funny!

It's in the "Featured Videos" section in the center of the page entitled "Police Say Little Kids Pulled Off Adult Crime"!

Little rat ba+++++++!

KCTV5.com

Thanks.

Marion.

Marion Lynn 7 years, 9 months ago

Truemother:

I do know that you are who you say you are and it is for that reason that I am going to give you some unsolicited advice:

SHUT UP about this situation until you have spoken with an attorney.

Anything that you say now can only HURT you and your children.

I am not trying to shield the children from the consequences of their actions but a PUBLIC internet forum is NOT the place to get this issue worked out.

I guarranty you that SRS will be involved in this matter, the police are already involved and again, you can only hurt yourself and your children if you keep discussing the matter in public.

Loose lips sink ships!

Thanks.

Marion.

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 9 months ago

Yes but the kids were contacted by the police 10 hours before the finding of the items and in fact returned multiple times after that contact. One would think after the police caught the kids at the residence they would have been affraid and not returned, yet they did. While I have no doubt the issue was addressed by one of the Mothers after returning home I do not think the kids really understood how bad it was since it appeared the by the kids behavior that returning the items made the whole situation ok. Most especially with the boys involved.
The older boy involved has a history of problems and not only lacked any visible signs of remorse while the police were there, but also was quite flippant about the entire situation and his Mother was not much better. Realistically the kids will not be jailed and of course I don't see how they could pay any restitution and they are pretty young to be preforming community service work as well. So really what is going to happen.

truemother 7 years, 9 months ago

Too all you readers -

Perhaps you should get the Parents intake regarding the children & this case. I will admit my children were involved in this specific case, and I gurantee that they will never try something like this again.

Sorry to disappoint the reader that thinks a mother like me would only give a simple 5 minute timeout. They are in DEEP with me & now are not even allowed outside without a responsible adult with them.

This was their first time & if I have anything to do on influencing their future choices, it will be their last criminal activity they are ever in.

They were not aware of $$$ value when they were doing this unbelievable act. And when I saw the belongings in my house, I got to the bottom of it & made the kids personally take the belongings back to the owners.

We were not aware of the police being called until after we were already at the door delivering the items.

Kids make stupid mistakes & as long as us "Parents" teach them when they are wrong.,...they should learn.

We were all kids at one time, and shouldn't be so judgemental. I admit I never did anything like this, but if I had, I gurantee that I would have got my butt whipped like there was no tomorrow.

The problem these days with our children & juvenile delinquency - is that we can't discipline our children like our grandparents were raised.

I hope to God that my kids learn from this. All we can do is wait & see what becomes of their stupidity. Crime doesn't pay - they will do their time as the D.A may see fit.

Berserk 7 years, 9 months ago

Hey, why don't they ever say what race the person is who got caught? and what part of town they are from?

Might be more interesting :D

BorderRat 7 years, 9 months ago

If there was a park near by, I bet they could nail the kids for playing in the fountain also.

flames_over_the_wasteland 7 years, 9 months ago

Wow, jloh21, you freakin' conservative, the concept of sarcasm escapes you. It's probably because you read things literally.

classclown 7 years, 9 months ago

Posted by JLoh21 (anonymous) on July 12, 2006 at 4:51 p.m. (Suggest removal)

oscarfactor: You #$&%$ liberal. You think the kids stole because they didn't have a park within a quarter mile of their house???? Are you &$&^%$@ kidding?????

==============================================

It's pretty obvious that he was.

Kathy Gragg 7 years, 9 months ago

Enforcer has the scoop on this one. The kids were going in and out of the house where the residents were in the process of moving from. The cops were called by 10:30 that morning (Sunday) and the garage door was closed by the officer. The landlord was also notified and had someone else secure the rental unit within an hour. The kids continued to loot the house from the back entry throughout the day. The residents returned that evening to find they had been robbed and called the police . The residents were notified that the police had been called earlier that day and informed who had been going in her home.The woman then made contact with the two other mothers; low and behold stolen items were located in the kid's bedrooms. There were 5 cruiser cars dispatched to the cul de sac and more than two hours of questioning and statements were written by witnesses. Here's the rub, the officer who initially responded dropped the ball, had she followed up perhaps the loss would not be so large. The kids stole thousands of dollars in jewelery and other items including a suitcase of adult sex toys ( you won't get this from the LJW) the latter has not yet been located, also bikes and video equiptment; the list was huge and the theft had been going on a least since the night before. T.V news crews have been in the neighborhood and are reporting on it.

JLoh21 7 years, 9 months ago

oh yeah, cutny: so if they only stole $800 worth of stuff that would be OK??? $800 alone is a lot of money to some of us.

JLoh21 7 years, 9 months ago

EasilyAmused 7 years, 9 months ago

I wonder - did the kid sit there and take the keys off the keychain? If so - that'd be a good half hour for someone to notice the theft in process...

cutny 7 years, 9 months ago

Gee, I don't know...that list doesn't seem like it adds up to $8000 large to me...more like $800 worth of crap. Yeah, I'm sure the D.A.'s really gonna throw the book at 'em. Probably mulling it over with the mayor as I type this.

mztrendy 7 years, 9 months ago

broke into a car and took a keychain? For real?

amac 7 years, 9 months ago

wondering why people don't lock their doors...

Luxor 7 years, 9 months ago

She needs to press charges against those brats. They'll just get worse as they get older since they obviously have no parents who are doing any parenting.

mom_of_three 7 years, 9 months ago

It sounds like the kids took the stuff, and it was returned when the threat of the police call became a reality, and/or their parents found out about the crime.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 9 months ago

"She told police that a group of neighborhood children ranging in age from 7-12 entered her home through a back door on Saturday."

This almost reads as if she was a witness to the crime.

Ken Miller 7 years, 9 months ago

But if we had a park within a 1/4 mile of each of the kid's homes, they most certainly wouldn't be forced into a life of petty thievery.

trinity 7 years, 9 months ago

unbefreakin'lievable!

great posts RI! :)

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 9 months ago

Were they wearing pirate eye patches?

Check the OTS question from the 11th.

Good answers on where the kids would hide the booty.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 7 years, 9 months ago

Now we have gangs of 2nd - 6th grade kids just walking into houses and looting?

At least one of the kids is able to abscond with half the loot?

"Officer, I have no recollection of who it is, I met them on the playground, didn't get their name. Just said they needed some more muscle for a job they was gonna pull"

audvisartist 7 years, 9 months ago

Don't kids have anything better to do with their summer vacations these days?

Confrontation 7 years, 9 months ago

I hope the D.A. is hard on these kids, considering their parents will just give them a 5-minute timeout.