LJWorld.com weblogs The Lawrence Crime Blotter

Ottawa shooting leaves one seriously injured

Ottawa police are asking for the public's help as they search for a blue minivan linked to an overnight shooting that left one man seriously injured.Police and paramedics responded at 10:38 p.m. Tuesday night to a report of gunshots in the 1500 block of South Hickory Street in Ottawa. They found the victim, 48-year-old Michael S. Miller of Ottawa, lying in the street with numerous gunshot wounds that appeared to be from a small-caliber handgun.He went by ambulance to Ransom Memorial Hospital and was later flown by air ambulance to another hospital. He was in serious condition this morning and had undergone surgery, police said. A witness described seeing a medium-sized, blue minivan leaving the scene of the shooting headed north with its lights off. It was last seen turning north on Main Street at 15th Street."We're still looking at a lot of leads," Capt. Randy Allan said. "Obviously, someone who's committed an act such as this is a hazard to the public safety, and we'd encourage the public to be of as much assistance to us as possible in closing this case."Police ask anyone with information about the case to call the TIPS hotline at 1(888) 311-8477 or the dispatch center at (785) 242-1700. -contributed by [Eric Weslander.][1] [1]: http://www2.ljworld.com/staff/eric_weslander

Comments

BrianR 8 years ago

Cap'n Randy needs to work on his law enforcement cliches.

FormerCentralKansan 8 years ago

I wonder if the shooter was a visitor from T-Town?

doc1 8 years ago

Ottawa. Hmm its probably a heated argument over Nascar, Meth or trailer park pride.

hawklet21 8 years ago

Just look at doc's post if you want to read something irrelevant. How rude and narrow minded.

Genome 8 years ago

Ottawa is a satellite Topeka. It is very dangerous for a small town.

trinity 8 years ago

oh for christ on a cross's sake, genome doc&marion; just tell me EXACTLY how much time you've spent in ottawa to form your utterly ridiculous opinions?!

GET 'EM HAWKLET YOU ROCK! :)

Genome 7 years, 12 months ago

When I GREW UP there, there were 4 major shootings, not to mention a golf club incident.

Genome 7 years, 12 months ago

I must also add, that is just some of the dangerous situations that arose when I was in high school...

Genome 7 years, 12 months ago

Another comment, the meth issue is ASTOUNDING! Doc may have been partially joking, but it is no joke.

Redneckgal 7 years, 12 months ago

Hey doc1 the only thing wrong with my town is all the damn transplants moving here. If we're so terrible we wish they would all just pack up and go back where they came from. I've taken a few drives thru your downtown and noticed you have some real top-notch folks up there too......

trinity 7 years, 12 months ago

THANK you redneckgal...and i stack up my many moons of being a NATIVE ottawan against all that bs. sure, there's been incidents...tell me what town has NOT had 'em? and the meth? dude it's every where, just flat everywhere.

if you were in school when those shootings&the golf club incident took place then you're just a young'un. you shoulda been around for the REAL good days! ;)

Redneckgal 7 years, 12 months ago

Yeah I remember when the golf club thing happened down at the park. And then the time the guy robbed the first national bank and got shot. But I was already out of high school and had a couple kids by then. I DO remember the real good old days. Back when we actually had a downtown and more than one store to shop at...it was nice. But its still not a bad town at all. Just going thru a lot of growing pains I think. I'm proud to be born and raised here.

tell_it_like_it_is 7 years, 12 months ago

The only thing wrong with Ottawa and all of Franklin Co. is Johnson Co. moving in.

hottruckinmama 7 years, 12 months ago

ottawa is a fine little town. its problems are no worse than any other little small town around here. I grew up near there-moved to miami co. and now i'm thinking of moving back around ottawa.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years, 12 months ago

I grew up in Ottawa, and the drugs are as heavy there as anywhere. I still have family there. The other day there was a rape in the alley where my sister lives, between Ash and Cypress. Crime is up everywhere. When I was a kid, I would get on my bicycle on a Sat. morning and cruise around town all day, and my mother never had to worry. You can't do that anywhere now. I feel sorry for kids today.

trinity 7 years, 12 months ago

redneckmamma&hottruckin', dang-i have a feeling we're pretty close to the same age&in fact may know each other! :)

oh lordie, hot-vacate miami county quickly, lmaoooo-RUN like HELL!!! (just kidding-i only work here).