LJWorld.com weblogs The Lawrence Crime Blotter

More than $7,000 worth of property stolen in Mass. St. home burglary

News from police reports today:¢ 1600 block of Massachusetts Street: A couple reported more than $7,000 worth of property taken in a forced-entry burglary at their home between 1:15 p.m. and 7 p.m. Wednesday. Items stolen included a 10-place dinner setting valued at $5,000, a $500 camera, a 1964 Kansas University class ring.Other burglaries and thefts:¢ 1100 section of East 1550 Road: A New Holland self-propelled mower, valued at $15,000, was stolen between Nov. 25 and Dec. 9, according to the Douglas County Sheriff's Office.¢ 1608 North 1400 Road: Someone cut a fence at the former Farmland site and stole an unknown quantity of copper wire from a semi trailer that was being used to haul away scrap metal. It happened between Dec. 7 and Dec. 9, according to the sheriff's office.¢ 1800 block of Crossgate Drive: a $3,500 Yamaha golf cart was stolen between 1:30 p.m. and 6 p.m. Thursday.¢ 200 block of Lyon Street: A 63-year-old Lawrence man reported a $1,000 log splitter stolen around 4 a.m. Saturday.¢ 821 Mass.: The owner of Prairie Patches reported $2,000 in currency and a bank bag stolen from the business between 2:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. Dec. 12.-contributed by [Eric Weslander.][1] [1]: http://www2.ljworld.com/staff/eric_weslander

Comments

rollcar 8 years ago

Wow, $5,000 worth of dinnerware? Suddenly my mixed set of plastic Burger King/KU football cups and Target place settings feels so inadequate.

BunE 8 years ago

2K missing between 230 and 530? Was no one looking?

Confrontation 8 years ago

Are we supposed to feel sorry for someone who wasted $5,000 on dinnerware? I sure hope not.

newsreader 8 years ago

Hmm... lets see, $5k on something you use at least 3 times a day... doesn't sound like a waste to me.

Bud Stagg 8 years ago

who uses $5k dinnerware 3 times a day? My wife has ours in a chest wrapped in foam. We get it out every other year when it's our turn for Thanksgiving.

$5k worth of dinnerware? These thieves really knew their stuff. "Hey homey, don't take the LCD TV get that fragile 120 pieces of fine china"

Sounds fishy to me.

alm77 8 years ago

There's nothing wrong with having nice dinnerware. They probably enjoy entertaining and use the set often. Or it could be an heirloom.

As for the burglaries, tis the season. Lock it up and set the alarm (if you have one). I'm not blaming the victims, I just don't want to become one.

Kontum1972 8 years ago

Wow....the thieves just cleaned up....Holy Guacamole...!

You think those folks with the expense stuff would of spend some cash for a home security system.....gonna be some fancy eatin'...and picture takin' ...this holiday season.....Ho! Ho! Ho...!

countrygirl 8 years ago

How do you fence expensive china?

newsreader 8 years ago

So we have been reduced to instead of blaming the theives for stealing this stuff, now we blame the people for having nice dishes?

Guess I better go sell my plasma so people don't question how I could spend that much if my house gets robbed...

mom_of_three 8 years ago

The thief seemed to know what he was looking for in the china.

And it says the china is valued at $5000 - that doesn't mean they paid $5000 for it.

mom_of_three 8 years ago

I want to know how someone steals a golfcart or a self propelled mower without being too obvious.

Bassetlover 8 years ago

Sounds like the thief might be someone who has been in the home before and he/she had an eye on all their goodies.

Sheila Couchman 8 years ago

Antiques, people, antiques! Good grief, what a bunch of drivel.

Jillster 8 years ago

It just sounds odd...fine china isn't usually on the top of the list of things that burglars go for. It's usually what burglars throw onto the floor as they rifle your china cabinet for your hidden stash of silver.

lonelyboy 8 years ago

Towns full of trash ,,, lowlife crackhead thiefs. Living together all in one house probably.

rollcar 8 years ago

It just strikes me as odd that your average everyday house burglar has the refined tastes to recognize expensive china, particularly antique expensive china, when they see it. I guess I picture them heading more for the cash, jewelry, electronics, etc. From the sound of things they made a bee line for the china, and just picked up a couple of odds and ends along the way. Perhaps that's why I would not make a very good burglar.

mom_of_three 8 years ago

Gee, Pywacket, take my comment a little too personal??

And I wasn't even serious!!

Steve Jacob 8 years ago

"How do you fence expensive china?"

4 letters

E-B-A-Y

Largest fencing operation in the world.

Jay_lo 8 years ago

Total for all hauls is only about 35% of the county commisioners' raises that they voted themselves, who's the professional thieves here?

Centrist 8 years ago

$1,000 for a LOG splitter?????

Centrist 8 years ago

No wonder insurance costs a bloody fortune with little or no "real" coverage.

rollcar 8 years ago

Ouch, Pywacket. That stings. "Ignorant"? "Lump truck"? This is a casual comment forum, and is being used as such. LIGHTEN UP!!!

compmd 8 years ago

I'm with you on this Pywacket. My parents have at least four sets of good china, all for different occasions. I don't want to know how much they are worth. I do know however that whatver that number is, its significantly greater than what they paid, even accounting for inflation.

Personally, I have a nice set of china that gets used quite often, I just take care of it.

The median income for a household in this town might only be $34k (2000 census), but there are plenty of people that make way more than that. Too many folks forget that.

Sigmund 8 years ago

I probably have at least 5K in fine china, I inherited it from my grandparents. The value to me is not in the what I could get for it on eBay, but the memories of eating off it on Christmas, with all of my family around. Home owners insurance will probably cover the monetary loss, but not the sentimental loss nor the loss of security I would feel in my own home.

Laura Watkins 8 years ago

a lot of people get china for their wedding present. and if they wanted to pay $5000, then that's their prerogative. i'm not sure why that matters at all...it certainly doesn't mean that they deserved to be robbed..

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years ago

now people be nice. 5000$ in dinner ware is not that uncommon in heirlooms and well to do wedding presents.

Godot 8 years ago

"The median income for a household in this town might only be $34k (2000 census), but there are plenty of people that make way more than that. "

And most of them are employed by the government.

rollcar 8 years ago

Pywacket -

OK, you got me. I misread your previous post. Nevertheless, not one of my posts was picking at the victims, just commenting on the story. Where are the names and insults coming from? Quit stirring the pot.

SpeedRacer 8 years ago

Actually, I am a bit surprised not to have read more about thefts and burglaries. This is usually a pretty active time of year.