LJWorld.com weblogs The Lawrence Crime Blotter

Bar fight, rape arrest among weekend's crime reports

News from today's police briefing:¢ Police are investigating a 20-year-old Lawrence woman's report that an unidentified man pointed a handgun at her around 3:25 a.m. Saturday as she and her boyfriend were driving in the 400 block of north Kasold Drive. The woman told police she saw the person and thought it was a friend, slowed down to pick him up, and saw him holding the gun.¢ Three people are suspected in the theft of $543 in cash taken early this morning from a cash register at the Cross Town Tavern, 1910 Haskell Ave. The bartender told police he went to escort people out the door around 1:53 a.m., came back and found the money missing. Lawrence Police are following leads to identify three people-- two men and a woman -- who were leaving the bar around that time.¢ A 21-year-old Kansas University student suffered a possible broken bone early Sunday morning after being punched by another man in a fight outside a car that happened after he left the Hawk, 1340 Ohio St. He was treated at Lawrence Memorial Hospital. Police are trying to identify the suspect.¢ Gero, the Douglas County Sheriff's German shepherd, was called to duty twice in the same day Friday: first, to sniff for drugs in a traffic stop around 8 a.m. in the 1200 block of Prospect Avenue, and then to help Lawrence Police search for a suspect who fled from a traffic stop around 4 p.m. at 17th and Kentucky Streets. No drugs were found in the traffic stop. In the foot chase, officers, not the dog, found the suspect hiding between houses.¢ An 18-year-old Overland Park man was booked into the Douglas County Jail on Sunday morning for rape after being arrested by Kansas University police, according to jail records. Burglaries and thefts:¢ 2200 block of Harper St: a 34-year-old Lee's Summit, Mo. man reports his 2004 Ford F-150 pickup truck, valued at $18,000, stolen between 7 a.m. Saturday and 1 p.m. Sunday.¢ 2000 block of Emerald Drive: A 46-year-old Lawrence woman reports her 2001 Isuzu Rodeo stolen between 3:30 and 8 a.m. Sunday. The vehicle was recovered, but a purse and its contents were missing.

Comments

local_support 8 years, 4 months ago

What, no sarcastic comments about Topeka today?

cutny 8 years, 4 months ago

Well, local_support, I think you can attribute that to the fact that there were no Topekans shooting up the fine citizens of Lawrence this weekend. Way to keep your boys in order.

bugmenot 8 years, 4 months ago

Why be sarcastic about anything? Topeka sucks, I think even you could figure that out.

justsomewench 8 years, 4 months ago

"No drugs were found in the traffic stop. In the foot chase, officers, not the dog, found the suspect hiding between houses."

looks like the new dog is a one-hit wonder, so to speak. i wonder how much more would it have set us back to get one that could track sweat, too.

boomersooner4ever 8 years, 4 months ago

The new dog sniffs out drugs? must be a topeka dog.

topekasaveslawrence 8 years, 4 months ago

To all of the above: I'm from Topeka. I spend money regularly in Lawrence--lots of it. When I stroll Mass St., I see other Topekans. When I see a show at Liberty, there are other Topekans there, and when I dine at Lawrence's fine eateries, I almost always encounter other Topekans. It's safe to assume that many of the other faces on Mass St are Topekans who I don't know. With the narrow profit margins of local businesses, I wonder what would happen if the flow of cash from Topeka was stopped or slowed. Would Lawrence be what it is if not for the support of Topekans? We don't come there to support your Target or your Wal-Mart(s)--we've got plenty of that here (though you're catching up). We come for the art, the food, the entertainment, and the shopping. Our money helps make Lawrence the great place that it is. I know that Topeka is a blue collar town and I don't pretend that we're an exciting place to visit, but I don't think it's fair for folks from Lawrence to speak about our town in such hateful ways. Lawrence doesn't like to see itself as a Topeka suburb, though a view of I-70 rush-hour traffic would suggest otherwise, but to cast disparaging comments our way just isn't very neighborly. Be proud of what you have--it's great--but don't give your neighbors to the west cause to resent you.

chapdaddy 8 years, 4 months ago

Topuke-ah bites. Stay home, and keep our place crime free.

Thanks, EOM.

geekin_topekan 8 years, 4 months ago

Topeka sucks ball$.I hate it here.The only thing that gives the city any character at all is it's crackheads.Other wise its a bunch of dying clones walking around doing their daily "thing" and saying"Duh,America". It's a first of the month town.The whole economy revolves around the first.Welfare,Pension,SSI,Military,State Employees.All...The First.

KSChick1 8 years, 4 months ago

state employees have nothing to do with the 1st of the month

the days of getting paid once a month are long gone

now it's every other Friday

Klickhammer 8 years, 4 months ago

Of course you come to Lawrence. You live in Topeka.

geekin_topekan 8 years, 4 months ago

Im from lawrence,I moved here for my work and now I have lease issues but Im moving home soon. Topeka sucks ball$.The people the traffic all blow donkeys. Everyone here wants to push the envelope.You give in inch they ask for an extra mile.No kidding.Give a bum a dollar he asks for two.Give a coworker a ride home he wants to stop two places on the way.Turn in a time sheet they'll short you everytime.There is nothing coincidental about any of this.Topeka suck$.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 4 months ago

Tourism is good for Lawrence. Folks drop by,have a good time, spend some money and head for home.

It's just that a place named Last Call has attracted some rowdy folks from Topeka. Those are the ones that need not come back. Perhaps the owner of Last Call should move to Topeka and take Last Call with him.

topekasaveslawrence 8 years, 4 months ago

Fortunately, not everyone in Lawrence is as dimwitted as the above contributors. By the way, geekster, if Topeka is such a bad place to work, why did KTA have to add two new lanes to accomodate all the Lawrence folks who flock here every morning? We still love ya, you rascals.

maveric 8 years, 4 months ago

As a former Topekan, which I'll never be again, since I moved from Topeka to Lawrence in 1991 it has been way safer here, I moved here to git away from gang related problems and all the crap along with it. Why are Topeka gangs coming to Lawrence why not KCK or KCMO??, I can say there are MORE than plenty people from other counties around Lawrence that come to Lawrence than there is of topekans, absolutly more people from KC area come here than any of the topekan jerks, if ya don't like Lawrence you Topekans, stay in your own crime infested city and leave or community alone, more topekans come here that cause more problems than anyone else its a proven fact becuz more of your topekans are gang related looking for a free ride is all and also to come here to start trouble and since it is a short distance for a loser to run to you think they go farther NOPE cuz they have no BALLZZZZ to hit KCK or KCMO, they come here to prey on innocent people so they can chicken out and make a short commute him instead of a long one, pure chicken poop to me cuz topekans are scared , keep the crimes in ur city leave ours alone