LJWorld.com weblogs The Lawrence Crime Blotter

Lawrence man faces federal drug charge

Crime-related news this morning: ¢ A Lawrence man has been charged in federal court with possession with intent to distribute cocaine, U.S. Atty. Eric Melgren announced.Maynard T. Yates, 47, was indicted by a grand jury in U.S. District Court for possessing about 49 grams of cocaine Feb. 1 in Douglas County.He faces a minimum of 10 years in prison if convicted. The case was investigated by the U.S. Marshal Service's "Fugitive Apprehension Task Force" and the Kansas Bureau of Investigation.¢ Lawrence Police are investigating a report that the same unidentified man exposed himself two mornings in a row to a 23-year-old employee in a drive-through on south Iowa Street. The incidents happened Aug. 3 and 4, both between 7:45 and 8 a.m. Police would not identify the business out of concern for the victim's privacy.¢ A foot chase Thursday afternoon ended when Lawrence Police caught a suspected shoplifter hiding under a plastic kids' swimming pool. Officers were called late Thursday morning to a theft at Sears, 2727 Iowa. They eventually found the suspect, 32-year-old Joey Ray Cadenhead of Lawrence, in a secluded area between the 2500 and 2700 blocks of West 26th Street with a swimming pool pulled over himself.-contributed by [Eric Weslander.][1] [1]: http://www2.ljworld.com

Comments

mztrendy 8 years, 7 months ago

Lets see, drive through on south Iowa? I wonder where that could be at.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 7 months ago

wonder why the guy thought he could hide under a kiddie pool in a back yard now that was dumb.

compmd 8 years, 7 months ago

nschmi04, that's exactly what I was thinking when I read the blotter today. I can imagine the cops walking up to the pool slowly saying, "my the weather is nice today, I hope it will stay" and then flipping the pool.

heh, owned.

Charles L Bloss Jr 8 years, 7 months ago

Because it was on a session of COPS. Two suspects were under a plastic kiddie pool when the officer kicked it off of them at gunpoint! It was quite humorous. I watched it too! Guess I wasn't the only one, lol. We don't catch them because we're that smart, we catch them because they are incredibly stupid. In Topeka we had a guy go into a grocery store and try to cash a stolen payroll check. When he saw the clerk on the phone trying to verify that the check was good, he got scared and ran off. But he left his driver's license on the counter, lol. It had a correct current address on it, so they waited a few minutes, drove over and arrested him. Thank you, Lynn

jayhawks71 8 years, 7 months ago

great put yates in jail, for what? for possessing a processed leaf. who was harmed by him possessing it?

How sad, the prosecution of "thought crimes" ... his "intent" to distribute.... oh really, I suppose he told them "I intend to distribute this."

Just for comparison sake, your standard checkout line Milky way bar is 54 grams.

boomersooner4ever 8 years, 7 months ago

gphawk89, i think he mustve been from lawrence as all the criminals in topeka know NOT to hide under a kids swimming pool