LJWorld.com weblogs Heard on the Hill

KU makes plans for rescheduling finals if necessary

In the event that the predicted ice storm materializes, KU will consider moving Tuesday finals to Thursday, Jan. 17 - scheduled to be the first day of spring classes.In an e-mail sent to students, faculty and staff, KU said that a decision on whether to have tonight's the 7:30 p.m. finals would be made by 6 p.m. A decision on the Tuesday finals will be made by 6 a.m. Tuesday and will be communicated by e-mail and text message.KU used its emergency text message system for the first time Monday in order to alert students to the e-mail it had just sent.KU spokesman Todd Cohen said "never in recent memory" had the university been forced to postpone a final because of weather.Students in the Law School and the PharmD program will make up any missed finals on a different schedule dictated by the deans of their schools.

Comments

yanon 7 years, 4 months ago

It would be safer to close the school and worry about the reprocussions later. There is another wave of the storm predicted to hit around mid morning; so, even if we can get to our finals, we may not be able to safely travel home.

Samer 7 years, 4 months ago

What?! I'm going to have to remember all this stuff in my head for another month?

Chris Bohling 7 years, 4 months ago

Only if the buses can't get up the hill.

schweppy 7 years, 4 months ago

This would be horrible. I hope that the forecast is wrong and we can take tests tomorrow!!

Tristan Moody 7 years, 4 months ago

The_Original_Bob---

hilarious. I was the same way on a few classes.

On the other hand, they've got a month of downtime to study for at most, two finals (KU doesn't require students to take more than two finals in one day). That's one month, with no other classes to distract. Much better than trying to have it next week and screwing people's travel plans.

chemegirlie 7 years, 4 months ago

For the way I understood the e-mail, professors can use other options:

"Your instructor will be contacting you as soon as possible to inform you whether your exam will be moved to January 17, or whether some other alternate arrangement has been chosen."

My professor mention a possible take home final (since ours was to be open book, open note anyway). I am guessing many professors will find some other option than waiting until Jan. 17th. At lease I hope so! My car already had a thin layer of ice on it from sitting outside in this for less than an hour so it very well could happen.

Chris Bohling 7 years, 4 months ago

My only final tomorrow is my voice jury, which takes a grand total of 5 minutes and I'm the only one there, so hopefully if it gets canceled I can just reschedule it later in the week.

Bubarubu 7 years, 4 months ago

Since instructors have been told not to provide semester grades for students whose finals are rescheduled, let's hope no graduating seniors get stuck in this. Or anyone studying abroad. Or athletes who need to stay eligible. The better option would be to just tack Tuesday's finals onto Wed., Thurs, and Fri. If you had a 7:30 (AM) or 10:30 final, do it at 7:30 Wed. night. 1:30 and 4:30 finals go on Thurs at 7:30, 7:30 (PM) finals go Friday at either 4:30 or 7:30. It's not perfect, but it also better than pushing grades off for a month.

Brazen 7 years, 4 months ago

As far as I am concerned, just having finished a 7:30-9pm final and having a 7:30am final tomorrow morning, I would welcome the Jan. 17 option. Give me plenty of time to study for one final without having to pull my second all nighter this week.