LJWorld.com weblogs Follow your art

Marching Jayhawks plan indoor concert

The Marching Jayhawks are headed indoors.

The Kansas University Marching Band has scheduled a first-ever indoor concert, bringing the sounds of the football field to the Lied Center. The concert is at 7:30 p.m. Sunday.

“There’s always been a desire from fans and alumni to see the Marching Jayhawks outside a football performance,” says David Clemmer, director of athletic bands.

The program will include traditional KU fight songs, as well as music from the 2009 football season. The music includes cartoon theme songs, the music of Blood, Sweat and Tears and a Latin jazz tribute. Clemmer says the concert will allow band fans to hear the intricacies of the music that might get lost during the game hubbub at Memorial Stadium.

“With this particular group, I really do try to emphasize that we want to impress with volume, but we do so with some musical integrity,” Clemmer says. “When we go inside, we do the same thing, but on a much higher level. We want to make them more aware. They don’t have to blast — the fight songs are almost as complex as some of the greatest marches ever written.”

The concert will be recorded for an upcoming CD, the first from the Marching Jayhawks since 1999. Tickets are $12.50 for the public and $10 for students, seniors and children.

Comments

motherof4 4 years, 5 months ago

This is exciting and the money goes for scholarships!!! I think it's a brilliant idea and can't wait to go! Thank you KU Marching band for allowing anyone who does not get to go to the KU football games to get to come and support YOU! Rock chalk!

H_Lecter 4 years, 5 months ago

I'll be there waiting to hear someone in the back yell, "Freebird!" It was a tough choice whether to go to this or Avenue Q.

Oystermom 4 years, 5 months ago

Nebraska has had a concert like this for years and they sell out their Lied Center. Of course, they routinely have 24,000 people come just to watch what the band has learned on the final night of band camp!

CheneyHawk 4 years, 5 months ago

Mr. Rombeck - Thanks for the clarification. That would have made a world of difference in the article and my take on it.

trombeck 4 years, 5 months ago

CheneyHawk — Scott Weiss, the director of bands, says the money will go to scholarships for marching band members.

Terry Rombeck Features/special sections editor

BigAl 4 years, 5 months ago

I'll be there and I'll pay the $12.50.

shorttrees 4 years, 5 months ago

As in most places, things like Marching Band and choir programs are tops on the list of things for which the budget gets cut. We are all used to High School Bands and choirs having fundraisers, now it's the KU Band's turn. Just the licensing fees for the music alone is outrageous, and doesn't include the cost of the sheet music for the performers.

ylime3499 4 years, 5 months ago

skimming through I thought they meant $12.50 for the CD... but then I slowed down and read it

ylime3499 4 years, 5 months ago

Wow! I'm with the other two-$12.50?! you've got to be kidding! I also agree- maybe five?!

CheneyHawk 4 years, 5 months ago

I agree, I marched in the mid '80's and was surprised to see an admission price. Probably would've paid $5, but $12.50? Where do the proceeds go?