2009 Phoenix Awards announced
Five Lawrence residents involved in the arts have been named recipients of the 2009 Phoenix Awards.
The awards are given by the Lawrence Cultural Arts Commission, recognizing outstanding artistic achievements in the Lawrence community. Since 1996, more than 100 outstanding artists have received Phoenix Awards.
The recipients will be honored during a reception at 2 p.m. Oct. 25 at the Lawrence Arts Center, 940 N.H.
This year’s recipients and categories are:
• Linda Baranski, arts administrator. Baranski is past president of the Lawrence Art Guild and director of the guild’s new 1109 Gallery.
• Richard Klocke, design arts. Klocke is the exhibit designer at the Spencer Museum of Art.
• Stan Lombardo, literary arts. Lombardo is a Kansas University professor of classics who is known for his translations of Greek works such as Homer’s “Iliad” and “Odyssey.”
• Doug Weaver, performing arts. Weaver is a theater teacher at Bishop Seabury Academy who also has led productions at KU, Lawrence Community Theatre and other venues.
• Margaret Weisbrod-Morris, arts advocate. She is program manager for arts in education with the Kansas Arts Commission.
Profiles of each of this year’s winners will appear in the Journal-World Oct. 25.