LJWorld.com weblogs First Bell
LHS brings home forensics trophies
The Lawrence High School forensics team brought home honors from a tournament at Lansing High School.
Mona Ahmed, sophomore, won first place in original oratory, and the duet acting team of Sarah Smoot, senior, and Abbie Wise, junior, also won first, qualifying them for the state tournament to be held in Olathe on May 4.
Meanwhile, Charles Hopkins, senior, and Matt Mantooth, sophomore, went undefeated to win first place in public forum debate.
Other team members winning honors were:
• Charles Hopkins, senior, sixth place, foreign extemporaneous speaking.
• Allie Straub, junior, third place, informative speaking, and fifth place, impromptu speaking.
• Mark Stevens, junior, sixth place, Lincoln-Douglas debate
• Alex Moriarty, freshman, second place, congressional debate — novice House.
• Kaitlyn Preut, freshman, third place, congressional debate — novice House.
• Stefan Petrovic, freshman, first place, congressional debate — House.
• Hanna Lee, sophomore, second place, congressional debate - House.
• Bradlea Padgett, sixth place, congressional debate - House.