LJWorld.com weblogs First Bell
Preschool enrollment; kindergarten roundup
Enrollment for the Lawrence school district's preschool program at Kennedy School, 1605 Davis Rd., is under way this week.
To be eligible for the program, children must be 4 years old on or before Aug. 31, 2013. The preschool program is free for families who are eligible for the free lunch program, as long as the child is not attending another preschool program. It is also free for families who qualify for reduced-price lunches, as long as they meet at least one of these criteria:
• The custodial parent is not married.
• The family is being referred by the Kansas Department for Children and Families, formerly known as Social and Rehabilitation Services.
• The child was born to a teenage parent.
• The parent lacks a high school diploma or GED.
• The child qualifies for migrant status.
• English is the child's second language.
Kennedy also operates a tuition-based preschool program for children and families who do not qualify for the free program.
The "peer model" program is open to 3- and 4-year-old children who demonstrate age appropriate play, social behavior, speech, language and motor skills. Peer model students model appropriate language and behavior for children with special needs while in a typical classroom.
Tuition for the peer model program is $150 per month, due on the first of each month starting in September.
For more information about the preschool program, contact Kennedy principal Cris Anderson at 832-5760.
Parents of children who will enroll in kindergarten next year can visit the schools and meet teachers and staff during Kindergarten Roundup, which begins this week.
Children who are 5 on or before Aug. 31 are eligible for kindergarten enrollment. Once enrolled, parents need to provide proof of residency, a certified copy of the child's birth certificate, the child's immunization records and a health assessment conducted by a physician or health care provider within one year before entering school.
The schedule for roundup dates is:
• April 3, Pinckney.
• April 4-5, Sunflower.
• April 11-12 Langston Hughes.
• April 12, Deerfield.
• April 17, Kennedy.
• April 18, Prairie Park and Quail Run.
• April 19, Broken Arrow and Sunset Hill.
• April 25, Hillcrest and Woodlawn.
• April 30, New York.
• May 2-3, Schwegler.
• May 3, Cordley.