LJWorld.com weblogs Faith Files

Christian hip-hop group offers rap alternative

Nick Smith says God spoke to him in prayer in 2003."The Lord spoke to me in prayer to start a Christian rap group," Smith says. "He made it clear to me that I was to go after the people who listen to the pretty-boy rappers, and provide them with an alternative that's not preaching sex, drugs and alcohol, and replacing it with the message of the Gospel."The result is [Mobsters of Light][1], a six-member, Oklahoma City-based group that plays Saturday at Victory Bible Church, 1942 Mass.The band's two sets are part of a family outreach event that runs from 1:30 p.m.-6:30 p.m. It also will include Christian hip-hop groups Maximum Melody of Kenya and Forty5, also from Oklahoma City.Smith - who goes by the rapper name Hit-Man - admits it usually takes awhile for people to warm up to the idea of Christian hip-hop.![][2]"Whenever people listen to it at first, they don't realize it's Christian lyrics," Smith says. "When they finally listen to it, they're like, 'Wow - it's about God.' We don't hide God in our lyrics. We're up front with it."([CD Baby][3] has several songs by Mobsters of Light available for listening.)Smith says most fans of Mobsters of Light already listen Christian music."We want to encourage the ones that are saved," Smith says, "and put a seed in those who are not saved, and lead them to Lord."The group has come to realize that it's tough to break through to a big audience when you're preaching religion. Its only song to get airplay in Oklahoma City and Tulsa was "On the Grind" - which Smith says has Christian themes but doesn't mention God or Jesus specifically."They're just trying to promote, partying, sex, drugs and beer," Smith says of most hip-hop stations.The father of two - a former church worship leader who currently is a supervisor for an oxygen-supply company - says it'll be up to hip-hop artists and their audiences to clean up the music genre's reputation."I used to listen to a lot of gangster rap when I was younger," he admits, "before I gave my heart to God."_ - Faith Files, which examines issues of faith, spirituality, morals and ethics, is updated by features/faith reporter Terry Rombeck. Have an idea for the blog? Contact Terry at trombeck@ljworld.com, or 832-7145._ [1]: http://www.mobstersoflight.com/ [2]: http://cdbaby.name/m/o/mobstersoflight.jpg [3]: http://cdbaby.com/cd/mobstersoflight

Comments

ImTooOldForThis 7 years, 2 months ago

Ah, no thanks. Id rather have Satan in my music. He really knows how to rock.

ramsrevenge 7 years, 2 months ago

sourpuss 7 years, 2 months ago

"The Lord spoke to me in prayer to start a Christian rap group," Smith says

Perhaps The Lord needed a laugh?

Haiku_Cuckoo 7 years, 2 months ago

Not my style, but I believe in freedom of musical expression so I can't criticize. To their credit, I'm guessing these hip hop lyrics aren't laced with the "N" word and derogatory references to women.

Here's their photo: http://www.mobstersoflight.com/aboutmol.html

ramsrevenge 7 years, 2 months ago

What did I say wrong? Was it me calling them lame? Or was it my rapping skills?

"The Lord's got my back, no I don't do crack. The LjWorld sensored me because I was talking smack. Praise sweet little tiny baby infant Jesus!" "Word up players."

ramsrevenge 7 years, 2 months ago

Sorry, my rap skills are awesome, spelling....not so much.

'censored'

Confrontation 7 years, 2 months ago

"He made it clear to me that I was to go after the people [who] listen to the pretty-boy rappers"

So, they're admitting that they're not much to look at. Most likely, they were just too untalented to actually perform real rap music.

chungasrevenge 7 years, 2 months ago

There are plenty of hip-hop groups around already that promote an alternative to the 'player' image and do so without the fantasy of supernatural beings.

frank mcguinness 7 years, 2 months ago

I think we can just shorten "Christian Rap" to "CRap"

Word to your mothers!

itsmyworld 7 years, 1 month ago

(disclaimer: I am not a rapper, I'm a poet, so don't hate on my skills)

They say its CRap because we rap and attack, shaking the devil off our back. But I don't react- I just encourage- stand back! The words I speak have power and the ability to crack...the walls between black and white between wrong and right shhhhh someone's sleeping tonight

I heard satan's murmur and saw the demons run we overcomeHim by the blood of the Son. Ain nothing change!! Their fear remains His love remains ABLE to save, to change!

Peace~