LJWorld.com weblogs Faith Files

Addition planned for Corpus Christi

Corpus Christi Catholic Church is about to break ground on a $3.6 million addition to its campus in West Lawrence.Church members will gather at 6:30 Thursday evening at the church, 6001 Bob Billings Parkway, for a ceremony kicking off construction.The new facility, which will be a free-standing building, will include a gymnasium, restrooms office and kitchen. The new building will serve both the Corpus Christi School and the church, says Yvonne Smith, the parish's development director.Once the gym is completed late next summer, students at the school will use it for physical education and for lunch time. The current cafeteria is too small for the 170 students currently enrolled in grades K-6.The gym also will allow church teams to have their own space for games. Currently, those teams are driving to Bishop Seabury Academy, 4120 Clinton Parkway, or venues in Kansas City for home games.Also, Smith says, "The kitchen will be large enough to be used as a parish-wide facility."Church members raised $4.3 million in a recent capital campaign for the addition. About $750,000 of the money helped pay down debt on the existing facility.The additional space also would help with a preschool that is tentatively planned to open in the fall, Smith says.No more additions to the church or school are planned for the near future, Smith says. However, long-term plans call for additional administration and classroom space for the school._ - Faith Files, which examines issues of faith, spirituality, morals and ethics, is updated by features/faith reporter Terry Rombeck. Have an idea for the blog? Contact Terry at trombeck@ljworld.com, or 832-7145._

Comments

4th_grade_education 6 years, 5 months ago

"To me, that's an over-sized church!"

neat.

Of course someone who says, "But I still don't care for the Catholic religion and their demigod the Pope. What a joke! When will the Vatican ever enter the 21st century?" doesn't really have a grip on reality.

terrapin2 6 years, 5 months ago

Copied from their own website: "The church has the capacity to seat more than 1,000 and is easily accessible to the elderly and disabled."

"The Narthex is the entrance-way into the church and symbolizes our first steps into the Christian Church and the Body of Christ. It functions as a place of gathering for the community, holding 460 people standing."

I would have to agree with Magnus in that regard. To me, that's an over-sized church!

terrapin2 6 years, 5 months ago

I don't know about the size of the school, but the Corpus Christi Church IS huge! It is certainly far bigger than any church I've ever felt comfortable attending.

To each their own I suppose. But I still don't care for the Catholic religion and their demigod the Pope. What a joke! When will the Vatican ever enter the 21st century?

Nikki May 6 years, 5 months ago

kook - many of the schools have cafeterias AWAY from the gyms. Just fyi

Kookamooka 6 years, 5 months ago

What seems really strange to me is that they are going to build a cafegymatorium. Why do people think eating in a gym is sanitary? All elementary schools have these and they are just disgusting. The Jr. Highs and High Schools have dedicated cafeterias. Why not the elementary schools?

4th_grade_education 6 years, 5 months ago

"Gee, I thought most of the Catholic churches in this country were going bankrupt paying victims of all of the sexual abuse by Catholic clergy."

Most? You mean like 5 dioceses? Sorry buddy, the Catholic Church is much bigger than that.

"to an already gargantuan church/school."

Yes, gargantuan is an appropriate word for a K-6 school with 2 teachers per grade. Moron.

americorps 6 years, 5 months ago

coolmarv,

I do not think the big problem with the church is that some, or many in this case, priests sexually abused young children..the molesters are responsible for that ugly crime, the Catholic church is responsible for having an institutional wide policy around the world that protected the criminals and hid their crimes.

I do not hold every Catholic nor every priest responsible, I hold the Vatican responsible.

Godot 6 years, 5 months ago

All this, and they didn't even ask for Tax Increment Financing. Way to go, Corpus Christi!

coolmarv 6 years, 5 months ago

Hey Magnus, what do you know about squat anyway. I was raised a Catholic and my minister nerve touched me inappropriately either. If I wasn't Christian I would say "what an a-hole!" Good thing I am.

Ken Miller 6 years, 5 months ago

My guess, Magnus, is that Corpus Christi is doing a helluva lot more than you to help the poor of our community.

Paul Geisler 6 years, 5 months ago

Oops! I meant to say "...before spending $3.6 million....." Even better! And they even had an extra $750K left over to pay down their existing debt! That's some serious cash flow! But I guess that's no surprise when you see all those ritzy new houses on the West side of Lawrence! I guess all of you sinners are paying your penance for your confessed misdeeds!

Paul Geisler 6 years, 5 months ago