LJWorld.com weblogs Dugan' A., Man

Allow me to introduce myself...

Dear readers,

Over the past few weeks, many of you have probably been asking yourselves the same questions: Who is this new wordsmith that keeps popping up at KUSports.com and in my morning issue of the Journal-World? Who is this handsome brunet who so effortlessly weaves metaphor and insight into his daily stories?

Some of you have probably used the word "genius." I don't blame you.

I suppose the best way to begin is by introducing myself. My name is Dugan Hartley Arnett, but you guys can feel free to call me "Mr. Arnett." Or "Sir." I was born and raised in Kansas City, Mo., the older of two children. Growing up in the quaint town of Blue Springs, I always knew I was going to go on to do great things. People were always saying things like, "Dugan, you're a special kid. You're going to grow up to do great things." Stuff like that.

I guess I pretty much proved them right. After high school, I went on to graduate from a university about three hours from here. You guys probably haven't heard of it, though. It's called the University of Missouri-Columbia? Apparently, it has a really good football team or something? But it's wonderful to be in Lawrence now, communicating with you fine people.

It's funny, I started here only a few weeks ago, but already I'm feeling incredibly at home. Every time I turn around I'm getting another warm-hearted message from one of you, wishing me luck in my new professional venture. For instance:

• "What I want to know is why did the LJW replace (former KU football beat reporter) Ryan Wood with a Methzouri graduate in Dugan Arnett?

• "This Dugan guy, the new KU beat writer, is a Hillbilly grad! First Chuckie, now this dork. Can it get any worse?" - konzahawk

• "Dugan is a missery grad and looks like hug tool box [sic]. I cant believe KU fans are going to have to put up with his crap all football season." - Nutflush21

My mom read those messages and was horrified. "Why are those people saying such horrible things about you?" she asked. But don't worry. I told her about how you guys were just goofin' on me 'cause I'm the new guy and all.

Anyway, I know what you must be thinking: "Dugan, it's a doggone pleasure to have you here in Lawrence! Is there anything we, the readers of your blog, can do to help you get acclimated?"

Well, yes, as a matter of fact, there is. I love writing stories. Always have. And I'm perpetually looking for ideas. So anytime there's something (or someone) you want to read about, let me know. I am now your official link to Kansas University's football team. I'm kind of like Avon Barksdale in "The Wire", except I don't deal heroin - I deal information. Specifically, information about the Jayhawks football team.

I would like this blog to serve as an open forum (unless, of course, I don't like something you have to say, in which case I will ban you). A place for you to share your thoughts, ideas, feelings, opinions and phone numbers.

Mostly, I just want to let you guys know how happy I am to be a part of your lives. Call me crazy, but I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship.

Sincerely,

Dugan Hartley Arnett

Comments

gohawks3 6 years, 1 month ago

I see football season is off to a great start.

geniusmannumber1 6 years, 1 month ago

"Apparently, it has a football team or something?"/fixedI kid. Missouri did a great job in the galleryfurniture.com bowl or wherever it was they ended up last year.

JuliansWright 6 years, 1 month ago

Can you please do a story on Jocques Crawford or Justin Thornton?

snoodmonger 6 years, 1 month ago

Ugh. I might have to kill Bill Simmons so he can roll over in his grave.

alm77 6 years, 1 month ago

HA!! Great introduction. You made me laugh out loud. As a fellow Missourian (and Southern Missourian at that) I can tell you, the jokes won't stop. You just have to learn to laugh at yourself, or have a few preselected retorts on hand from which to choose. Look forward to reading more!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 1 month ago

Wow, you can take the mime out of Kansas,but you can't take Kansas out of the mime.Das_Ubermime: "Don't talk about your mom on the internet. Ever."The only reason Das routinely offers this advice is because Das is my mom... or, as I'm fond of saying... Das Ubermom!Das_Ubermime: "Grow a thick skin."Grow it, and shed it frequently. Leave it lying about on the ground, so some kid can find it-contribute to "Whoa" experiences.Das_Ubermime: "Many here probably aren't giving you a hard time because you are new. They probably hate you because you are from Missouri."Missouri?! Now, you're going to have to show us....And, BTW, it's not "hate." It's a strange form of Tourette's, elicited( as mom has noted ) by openness.Das_Ubermime: "Don't take it personal."( Geez, mom, you're embarrassing me.... )

jaywalker 6 years, 1 month ago

Welcome to Lawrence, Dugan. Congrats on the job and good luck to your future, stay true to self and you'll always come out on top.Hope you like that wee oasis, Lawrence is one of a kind in Kansas. Most people are more than accepting and accommodating, and only the brainless will continue to berate your Tiger background. Word of advice: those that are so far beyond the pale, ignore completely. Nothing will infuriate them more, and after time blowhards lose all steam with lack of attention.Wanna write a piece? Let us know how solid the O-line will be. With the loss of both tackles, their replacements ( I think ) are the keys to next season. And please, for the love of Oprah, don't base the entire piece on coach interviews. I get enough PC crapola as it is. Opinion, conjecture, people that don't have to paint it nice,...that's where your bread will be buttered my brother. Sports talk radio interviews, coach sound bites, etc. etc. , Noone tells it like it is. Give us some of the juice, even if it proves incorrect it's refreshing compared to the party line. Godspeed, brother!