LJWorld.com weblogs Live from Tampa: Dispatches from the RNC

At Ann Romney speech, Kansas delegates cause a stir

Richard Todd, chairman of the Douglas County Republican Party, is in Tampa for the Republican National Convention. He'll be sending periodic updates from the conference. His observations from last night follow.

Mrs. Romney talked about the early years, when she first met her husband, and bit of a chronology about her life with Mitt Romney since then. She talked about the time he spent before they were married on a mission in France for his church, the car accident while he was there, and his return from the mission when they decided to get married and he returned to college.

It was a very personal and direct appeal to all Americans to let them know what kind of person Mitt is. She mentioned that he doesn't like to talk about all of the things he does for other people thru his faith with his time and energy, because he does not do these things for recognition, but rather for the desire to help, just like millions of Americans do every day.

(Here's a photo of the Kansas) delegation on the floor of the convention, where many members were sporting "themed' costumes.

There were members dressed up as Dorothy, Glenda the Good Witch, and the Wicked Witch from the Wizard of Oz, as well as Wyatt Earp, Amelia Earhart, a KU basketball fan, K-State football fan, and a Wichita State fan. There were media cameras scrambling for pictures of our delegation from all over the world. I have not seen the TV video yet, but the Jayhawk fan was likely the highest demand shot.

(Ed. note: Does Wyatt Earp look familiar? That's former U.S. Rep. Todd Tiahrt. New York Magazine interviewed him. Why's he dressed like Wyatt Earp? "I lost a bet," he said.)

Today (Wed), we are looking forward to hearing from VP nominee Paul Ryan.

Comments

mikekt 1 year, 7 months ago

Why shouldn't our delegation be in disguises ?

It's all a big act anyway !

Mike Ford 1 year, 7 months ago

barbie lecturing minorities on why they should do a better job of doing the dirty work that little people do....channeling Leona Helmsley.....priceless!!!!

blindrabbit 1 year, 7 months ago

Christie is a victum of where he is from; it's that brash North New Jerse/NYC attitude that is in full display when he is on center stage. Think, Jersey Shore, Jerseylicious, Housewives of New Jersey, Jersey Girl, ,Momma' s Boys of the Bronx, Long Island Medium, etc., etc. Lived in Southern New Jersey for many years, different (and civilized) from upstate! Not sure he said anything other than tooting his own horn, not much about Romney; cannot imagine anybody (away from New Jersry) following this Pied Piper.

Ann, obviously a nice person, but how can she talk about relating to the plight of women when the 99% of others cannot relate to her situation. Two Cadillacs, houses all over the country, too much saccharine blabber about her hubby, a guy that has zero personality, net worth 300Million, never held a job (I know, raising 5 sons with nannys counts), but, buying necessities, but relating to others and worrying about her budget. Why, none of the 5 sons have ever served their country in some fashion (Mormon proselyting does not count), all priveleged silver spooners.

grammaddy 1 year, 7 months ago

I hope Ryan doesn't give the same kind of "I'm running in 2016" speech that Christie gave last night Are any of them going to talk Romney up, or will they continue to brag about all the things they have done on their own?As for Christie, he couldn't have done 1/2 the things he bragged about without the likes of Cory Booker or the huge donation Zuckerberg made to the education system there.But at least he admitted to "Bi-partisan" help. It must be hard to be a Republican governor in a "Blue" state.

clovis_sangrail 1 year, 7 months ago

Other than Wyatt Earp and Miss Piggy in pink, the other costumes were singularly disappointing and uninspired.

autie 1 year, 7 months ago

Is he saying that somebody dressed up like a vagina? I missed that.

Kontum1972 1 year, 7 months ago

LoL,...is that picture for real?

or are they getting prepped for Halloween Frat party. WTf.....how embarrassing...

SageonPage 1 year, 7 months ago

Awww come on Libs, lighten up. Let them have a little fun in life! No need to be the dour sour pusses you are all the time. I dare say this is more class than your friends dressed as 'Lady Parts' who thought that was a great message.

guess_again 1 year, 7 months ago

Is this Halloween? How embarrassing.

Agnostick 1 year, 7 months ago

What about Troy Newman, Cheryl Sullenger, and Scott Roehder? Or were they sitting with the NRA delegation?

autie 1 year, 7 months ago

Mr. Earp drank heavily and consorted with whores and gambled. What a perfect anti character for the most right reverend and perfect Toddy boy Tiahart to play. I watched him lie through his teeth to an entire room of people..lie after lie. I think I was on another sketchy list after I spoke to his staffer.

Pastor_Bedtime 1 year, 7 months ago

And I doubt Wyatt Earp cared too much about what folks' do behind their drawn curtains...and I suspect strongly Amelia would have favored same-sex marriage.

Pastor_Bedtime 1 year, 7 months ago

Will they be lunching at Chick-fila and skinny-dipping later? What a professional-looking bunch.

tolawdjk 1 year, 7 months ago

Looks like "Dorthy" phoned it in and I'm not sure if the "lady" in pink is in a "costume" or "not".

Other than Tiahart the rest just look under dressed.

Liberty275 1 year, 7 months ago

Kansas. More "stuff" kicker than you think.

autie 1 year, 7 months ago

Those aren't even particularly good custumes. Morons. I can I ever explain this to my non Kansas friends....oh, I can't. I simply tell them there are many stupid people in my state that would love for it to be 1956 again.

Randall Uhrich 1 year, 7 months ago

I'm not comfortable with this bunch voting on the Country's possible future. But their masquerade is not as bad as Romney and Ryan's lies about the budget.

somedude20 1 year, 7 months ago

"Loved Ann Romney's speech especially the part about how Mitt can't release taxes because her horse ate them. And then Chris Christie ate the horse."- Bill Maher

Trust Mitt? He has not earned it and ole Chris, yeah, if anyone has the discipline to trim the fat off the budget, ya know it has to be him!

Short and sweet, if you are dirt rich and want to gain more wealth the new old fashioned way, (from the middle and lower classes through taxes) then Mitt is your man but if you are not wealthy and are tired of making them richer, vote Obama. I am far from happy with many things that Obama has done, but he is still worlds better than the magic underpants

blindrabbit 1 year, 7 months ago

Should have dressed like Fred Phelps, Sam Brownback, KKKobach, Phill Klein, Steve Abrams, Lynn Jenkins, Pompeo and the Sea of Galilee nude swimmer and all the rest of ther bigoted right wingers that have hijacked what used to be the GOP in Kansas