LJWorld.com weblogs Common cents

Why pay for text messaging when you can get it free?

Few discoveries gall me more than paying for something I could have received for free.That's one reason why I chose not to get text messaging with my recent cell phone package. Why pay for texting when I could call?Unfortunately, several of my friends didn't have the same idea, but sent me texts that cost 25 cents to receive and 75 cents to reply to. They also sent me texts during times when I couldn't call them back or had run out of minutes for the month. Having fallen into a position of either sacrificing social relationships or material goods, I was stuck.Fortunately, I discovered this list of Web sites by heyitsfree.net that offer text messaging services for free.Some of the ones I've tried:Txt Drop : As promised, this site not only delivers your text messages, but allows your friends to respond! One of my friends, whom I coaxed into sending me a reply, had a name that looked a little goofy in my inbox — basically a string of numbers that corresponded to my friend's phone number — but apart from that minor caveat, this site works extremely well.Send SMS Now: One of my friends told me this site sends text messages that show up as image pictures; if the phone you're sending this to can receive images, this should be fine. You may have to convince your recipients that this message really is from you. The first few times, you may have to call and confirm they got it!Free Text Send: This one is probably the "Google" of all text messaging Web sites I've found so far. A clean, fantastically simple page design that makes shooting off your next SMS a joy — provided, of course, that you know your recipient's phone provider.)

Comments

Linda Hanney 5 years, 2 months ago

Thanks for these links. Will check them out. Sometimes I just want to tell my kids (married and live away) to have a good day, just to let them know I'm thinking of them.

mom_of_three 5 years, 2 months ago

If it is noisy around you, texting works well. If I need a list, a text works well. And I get a good deal on my cellphone, so I am not worried about it. hubby works for cell phone company.

gccs14r 5 years, 2 months ago

Sometimes it's not possible to hear a phone conversation, so the only way to communicate is via text.

Paul Decelles 5 years, 2 months ago

Actually there are lots of times when texting is better than talking. For instance-you are in the library for instance and want to communicate quietly. Some people have told me that one advantage of texting on the cell phone is that is slows things up if you are having a fight with someone.Quite frankly I would rather people text than be some impolite in public as to inflict their personal conversations on me.That said, texting is a scam considering what phone companies charge per message.

autie 5 years, 2 months ago

I don't get it. Why bother texting when you can call and just talk? Lot less trouble.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 2 months ago

Yes, and at least one old woman's family won a settlement over that.

Steve Jacob 5 years, 2 months ago

Heck, I have read some people still rent rotary phones from AT&T from back in the 70's when you could not "own" a phone.

Benjamin Roberts 5 years, 2 months ago

Txt Drop claims not to sell your information; however, their legal does state, "the site may gather broad statistical information such as (but not limited to) number of website visits, page views, ad clicks, number of messages sent, and popularity of cell phone providers." That sounds a lot like spyware.We have also found a cool way to add to the grocery list using the cell phone, without texting. When the phone rings - I answer it.

repaste 5 years, 2 months ago

You still pay for it, texting saves the phone co money, they should discount it.

plivanec 5 years, 2 months ago

I agree that this is pretty cool...but I bet as soon as you enter your number and your friends...now that website has both numbers to sell as it sees fit. You will probably be getting all kinds of crap now.

mom_of_three 5 years, 2 months ago

i get text messaging for free, so I don't have to worry about it. Pretty handy when you are at the store, and hubby says you need a list of stuff. Text it, I say.