LJWorld.com weblogs Statehouse Live

Abortion opponent will have ultrasound done on pregnant woman during committee meeting

Topeka — An ultrasound will be performed on a pregnant woman before a Senate committee today, the chairwoman of the committee said.

The procedure will be performed in the Senate Public Health and Welfare Committee as hundreds of anti-abortion advocates gather at the Statehouse to coincide with the Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion.

Public Health and Welfare Chairwoman State Sen. Mary Pilcher-Cook, R-Shawnee, is an ardent opponent of abortion.

She said the ultrasound needed to be done for the committee for education purposes. "Because we often consider the life and health of the unborn child in the Senate health committee, it is important that committee members are educated as to the science of the life within the womb," Pilcher-Cook said.

Those opposed to abortion often push for laws that require women who want an abortion to have an ultrasound and have abortion providers place the ultrasound image next to a pregnant woman so she can view it and listen to the heartbeat.

Comments

Steve Bunch 9 months ago

Since we're educating the committee members, perhaps the committee should also see a demonstration of how the baby gets into the womb and how to avoid accidentally putting a baby in there.

Cait McKnelly 9 months ago

This is disgusting. How about they see a colonoscopy while they're at it? Or maybe a prostate resection, since they're all males in the age range to make it relevant?

Cille King 9 months ago

Please don't stop with just an ultrasound. Committee members should also be instructed on:

Environmental pollutants effect on fetus development,- air, water, chemicals in food,

Importance of good nutrition on fetus development -and the difficulties low income women have,

Genetic defects and their causes,

Miscarriages and possible causes,

Maternal difficulties in abusive relationships,

Problems in health and development for mother and baby when mother is still a child,

Financial impacts of a pregnancy and baby for the uninsured and low income mother,

Rape and incest.

Melinda Henderson 9 months ago

When our elected representatives play politics with people’s lives, yet claim to follow Jesus, it’s time for them to get kicked out of their “temples.”

Phoebe Zimmermann 9 months ago

The best way to reconcile this issue is by male example: As the majority of those calling for this procedure to be put into law are male, it is essential that a male show the more delicate sex how straightforward, uncomplicated and effortless such a procedure is. A simple, noninvasive prostate exam should be performed before the committee, and any naysayers, to demonstrate the composure and dignity with which the procedure can be performed, especially when it is forcibly done by law against the will of the participant. http://menshealth.about.com/od/prostatehealth/a/prostate_poll.htm

Bob Forer 9 months ago

First I cringed, and then I laughed. Good one, Phoebe!

Rick Masters 9 months ago

After that, a busload of public school kids will come in and attempt a Spelling Bee.

It's Showtime at the Capitol!

Greg Cooper 9 months ago

As a follow-up on the demonstration, NO disabled children born to helpless moms or children who are victims of incest or any of a number of things not their fault but foisted on them by a right-wing, ultra knee-jerk bunch of old men and dried up women will be paraded before the committee to let them know where their million dollars spent on attorneys fighting for stupid abortion restrictions could have been spent.

This is pointless and ridiculous and bears nio relationship to governance. Shame on whoever brought this idea to fruition and those who watched for standing still for it.

Leslie Swearingen 9 months ago

Well, Greg, I am one of those "dried up women", if by that you mean post-menupause. I am nonplaused by the depth of anger in those who are pro-abortion. I can understand why if you want to teminate your pregnancy you might not want to know precisely what it is that you are terminating. That way you will be able to sleep better at night.

I am not being mean when I write this, after all if your child had been killed in a horrific car accident I don't think you would want to see the body and remember them like that. There are horrific birth defects that would make an abortion justified and most will mercifully never know just what can go wrong in the nine months of pregnancy.

I do believe that whenever possible the girl/woman should have the baby and then adopt it to a loving family. Teens are nolt children and should not be seen as such. They are young adults.

Cille King 9 months ago

Teens bodies have not developed to carry a pregnancy without greater risk to themselves and their babies.

"Infants born to teenage mothers are at greater risk for developmental problems. Girls born to teen mothers are more likely to become teen mothers themselves, and boys born to teen mothers have a higher than average rate of being arrested and jailed. Possible Complications

Adolescent pregnancy is associated with higher rates of illness and death for both the mother and infant. Death from violence is the second leading cause of death during pregnancy for teens, and is higher in teens than in any other group.

Pregnant teens are at much higher risk of having serious medical complications such as:

Placenta previa
Pregnancy-induced hypertension
Premature delivery
Significant anemia
Toxemia

Infants born to teens are 2 - 6 times more likely to have low birth weight than those born to mothers age 20 or older. Prematurity plays the greatest role in low birth weight, but intrauterine growth retardation (inadequate growth of the fetus during pregnancy) is also a factor.

Bob Forer 9 months ago

Sorry, Leslie, but girls in their mid'teens are not "young adults." While they are able to conceive, both their minds and their bodies are still maturing. There is a reason why contemporary society does not grant persons in this country many cherished rights until they reach the age of eighteeen.

Rae Hudspeth 9 months ago

I believe that whenever possible, the girl/woman should have the right to make her own decisions about what she is to do with her own body, without the interference of state/church or well-meaning people with their own agendas.
There is not a woman alive who is not aware of what she is terminating, and even that doesn't make anyone sleep any better with all the people standing ready and willing to pass judgement and shame upon her.
If adoptions were as simple as anti-abortion believers would like to think, there would be no need for so many couples to have to journey overseas to secure a baby. And a great many good people who do want to adopt are more often unwilling to take on a child born to a possibly unhealthy, malnourished (thank you, state legislators, for cutting human services) and addicted and/or alcoholic woman.
But you see, the majority of abortions aren't done on young teens, but are actually chosen by married women with children already who have fallen victim to birth control failure and and well, well aware of their decision being the harder yet the more desirable outcome for themselves and their families.

Greg Cooper 9 months ago

I'm sorry, Leslie, but the number of adoptors is and has always been far less than the number of adoptees. That's a straw man argument that you guys trot out whenever this subject comes up.

Perhaps I was too rude in my "dried up women" comment, and I apologize for that. However, it never ceases to amaze me that women such as yourself are in favor of forcing pregnancies to termination in the face of the wishes of the mothers-to-be. It is inconceivable to me that anyone should be dictated to in the matter of their own bodies.

You say abortion is, in your opinion, justified in certain cases. My question to you is, "Who are you to dictate the circumstances?" In my opinion, the person who should be allowed to make that decision is the mother-to-be who is the only one who knows of her ability to care for the child, to provide for its unique special needs should ther be any (because we know that the State of Kansas is showing its true colors when it comes to sfunding for such things), or even if the child would be born into a loving, nurturing environment. Forcing one who does not want a child to have it is in no way compassionate to the child.

I hate that this conversation even has to take place, but I hate evenmore that the rights of the individual, living mother to choose are relegated to next to nothing by legislation based on religious thinking rather than humanism.

Larry Sturm 9 months ago

They should also have to see an ultrasound on a malformed baby that wouldn't survive outside of the womb.

Thomas Bryce 9 months ago

Only an Ultrasound? With all of the interest in Women's Health and Reproductive Abilities our Legislature has shown, why not a Mammogram and/or PAP smear as well? Might be educational. Sounds like a lot of them missed Health Class.

Leslie Swearingen 9 months ago

In case you are speculating, I am not talking about myself, I was 28 when I gave birth. I just want to discount the common belief and say that you can't believe everything you read in a text book.

Cille King 9 months ago

You know a teen mom! And that gives you all the information you need to conclude that there is no problem with teens being pregnant? Do you also support the marriage of 13 and 14 year old girls?

Bob Forer 9 months ago

Leslie wrote:

'Nope, I am not buying that about teen moms because I personally know a teen mom that delivered a healthy baby,(8 lbs) that baby now has a doctorate from a good university and the mother has always worked and held down a job.

This teen mom only had the one child and her child has not had one. So much for all this myths about this subject.'

Wow! All I can say is wow.

I know a person who served two tours of duty in Vietnam as an infantry man. That person is now retired, and in good health, after a successful professional career as a college professor.

If I were to categorically declare, based on my friendship with that retired professor, that not one American GI was harmed by the Vietnam war, not only would I be laughed out of the room,but my ignorance would probably anger millions of Vietnam GIs and their families and friends whose lives were profoundly damaged by that war.

Leslie, do you truly believe it is permissible to completely ignore well-accepted facts by making sweeping pronouncments based soley on your personal knowledge of one isolated instance.

I've read sdme of your other posts, and you seem to be more sophisticated than that. .