LJWorld.com weblogs Statehouse Live

FreedomWorks urges Legislature to reject Common Core reading and math standards

Topeka — The Tea-party affiliated FreedomWorks is urging Kansas legislators to reject Common Core reading and math standards.

"Help us protect Kansan students from Common Core," Whitney Neal, director of grassroots for FreedomWorks, said in a note to the group's members. "Let’s fight to keep parents, teachers, and local communities in charge of education – not Washington bureaucrats."

Kansas formally adopted Common Core standards in 2010, saying they would help prepare students for college and careers. Numerous school districts throughout the state, including Lawrence, have spent the past two years getting teachers ready to implement them.

Common Core standards have been adopted by most states, and started as a project of the National Governors Association and Council of Chief State School Officers.

But FreedomWorks says Common Core will take away the rights of states to compose their own education requirements.

In Kansas, the Legislature is fighting over budget and tax issues. Senate Republican leaders want to insert a provision in the budget that would prohibit the expenditure of state funds to implement Common Core standards.

Comments

Hooligan_016 1 year, 4 months ago

In one segment of my brain I would agree with them (on the level that the standard of education should not be a generalized test for every student in the country) but then when you think about it further ...

Math is universal. There absolutely zero debate how geometry and algebra works. I use absolutely zero of the calculus I took in high school and part of college, but I'm glad I at least got the experience.

chootspa 1 year, 4 months ago

There is absolutely no reason kids shouldn't be able to transfer from a school in one state to a school in another without having to repeat a grade.

Liberty275 1 year, 4 months ago

What happens when you divide by zero?

Patricia Davis 1 year, 4 months ago

You get the Kansas legislature.

dontsheep 1 year, 4 months ago

Before this thread goes off the rails, pretty good series of articles with much more background can be found here.

chootspa 1 year, 4 months ago

That link is an unformatted bunch of rambling that doesn't read like anything particularly well researched. Nice try, though.

dontsheep 1 year, 4 months ago

and it requires effort on the reader's part to research topics, concepts, the people behind common core, etc while also critically thinking on their own. Pretty much the antithesis of common core.

chootspa 1 year, 4 months ago

It doesn't seem to me that you've put any of that effort into your research. I'm seeing a distinct lack of critical thinking skills on your part.

question4u 1 year, 4 months ago

The Common Core standards were developed by EDUCATORS not "Washington bureaucrats" and anyone with the ability to read and an ounce of initiative to look up facts rather than spout unfounded opinion knows that perfectly well.

So-called "think tanks" created to further corporate interests don't like the Common Core because when you have standards, you have to live up to them. The idea that you can cut funding to public education and not do any harm is a fantasy, and standards that compare states' education budgets and outcomes to one another are not what corporate interests want. You can't eliminate taxes if you want to maintain quality public education. A lot of corporate money has been spent attempting to disguise that fact.

So what can corporate interests do? The obvious answer is to provoke the same old knee-jerk reactions that have worked in Kansas on so many other issues: mask facts with misinformation, claim some kind of big government conspiracy, and disguise greed with show of caring.

How far off the deep end are Kansans willing to go? Do people really think that this legislature knows more about education than the experts from multiple states who set standards to raise the quality of math and reading education in the United States? We get it. Kansans don't want to be part of the United States, but rejecting the Common Core just because 40 other states have adopted it? That's insanity.

Anyone who thinks that those now in control of Kansas would adopt BETTER education practices in lieu of the Common Core rather than just cheaper practices is truly delusional.

jonas_opines 1 year, 4 months ago

I agree. Too many people have informed me of this thing called subtraction, but that's absolutely bogus so I don't pay attention to it. You can tell its bogus because lots of people believe it.

chootspa 1 year, 4 months ago

Here is one irony award for you today.

Liberty275 1 year, 4 months ago

"The Common Core standards were developed by EDUCATORS"

OK. Tell me why the things that my children learn should be developed by educators. It seems to me that is letting the fox in the hen house. What if I disagree with what they are teaching? What recourse do I have?

I don't care if the kids are made little atheists, but other people do care and they have the same rights as everyone. How would you like it if Ms Betty starts teaching 2nd from the bible? Same difference.

Educators should figure out how to teach, then teach what the citizens tell them to teach. Nothing more, nothing less.

jafs 1 year, 4 months ago

If you disagree, you can home school your kids, or send them to private school.

Or, you can vote for people who will change that system.

Or, unfortunately, you can send your kids to school for the minimum required 7th-8th grade education, and then pull them out.

Schools don't make anybody an atheist - parental influence is still very strong in that area, and parents can continue to indoctrinate their kids into their religion of choice (although I have a few problems with that, in fact). What exactly do you mean by that comment? What are schools teaching that "make" kids atheists?

Which citizens? I don't want uneducated, unintelligent people choosing the curriculum for our children, do you?

chootspa 1 year, 4 months ago

Libertysomenumbers is bored and just wants to troll.

madcow 1 year, 4 months ago

I love how these groups always name themselves for the opposite of what they really stand for.

Translation: "We don't want your kids to learn math and science because they might realize how crazy we are".

Keith 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm trying to understand why education requirements for 1-12 shouldn't be standardized across the country. Are science, math, US and world History, English, etc. different in Arkansas than they are in Massachusetts?

madcow 1 year, 4 months ago

They are actually different in some states, but only because politicians selectively edit text books to serve their own agendas.

tomatogrower 1 year, 4 months ago

Hear, hear, Keith. I want these tea party people to explain that.

Gary Denning 1 year, 4 months ago

While I agree that most education should not have much regional difference, The Kansas Department of Education retained the right to add some local additions to Common Core if needed to make the standards more relevant to Kansas.

gatekeeper 1 year, 4 months ago

What would be different regarding reading and math in Kansas than in another state? Math is math. Reading is reading. I would like to know what the local additions are that are needed? Teaching them that 666 is the devil's number? That ain't is an OK word to use?

kansanbygrace 1 year, 4 months ago

Yes, Keith, unfortunately, when confronted with pi r-squared, many of those in Arky, (and Western Kansas, sadly enough) will say "they're just stupid, anybody knows pie are round. Cornbread are square."

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 4 months ago

I did not know this and had to look it up. And, now that I know, I still don't know. Sorry. I tried. ...................................................................................... This is what I found online.

The distance around a circle is called its circumference. The distance across a circle through its center is called its diameter. We use the Greek letter Pi (pronounced Pi) to represent the ratio of the circumference of a circle to the diameter. In the last lesson, we learned that the formula for circumference of a circle is: C equals Pi times d. For simplicity, we use Pi = 3.14. We know from the last lesson that the diameter of a circle is twice as long as the radius.

jafs 1 year, 4 months ago

Pi r squared is the formula for calculating the area of a circle.

R refers to the radius, which is 1/2 the diameter.

bad_dog 1 year, 4 months ago

Well, I guess rejection of the Common Core standards is OK. After all, it's all in the name of "freedom" right? Freedom to implement dumb 'em down standards, freedom from income taxes for certain population segments, freedom from unions, freedom to control womens' bodies...

chootspa 1 year, 4 months ago

Freedom to defund public education entirely and push for voucher systems instead...

bad_dog 1 year, 4 months ago

I know, the list is legion, but lunch is only so long...

tomatogrower 1 year, 4 months ago

Exactly, and they wonder why they get so much scrutiny from the IRS.

gatekeeper 1 year, 4 months ago

You hit the nail on the head!

My husband was moved around a lot as a kid, first because dad was military then because he worked for the railroad. He would get to a new area and sometimes would be ahead of the other kids in the same grade and sometimes behind. All states should have the same core standards per grade.

Leslie Swearingen 1 year, 4 months ago

You got that right.

Agnostick, could you possibly change your icon? I am so sorry, but that totally freaks me out every time I look at it. That woman looks like an evil being in a B movie about to attack someone.

tomatogrower 1 year, 4 months ago

Dear Ms. Neal. Grassroots organizations do not need to be uninformed organizations. Common Core was not developed by Washington, but by educators. If you have an issue with specific parts of the curriculum, fine. But stop spreading lies. It just makes your organization look evil and corrupt at worse, ignorant at best.

jafs 1 year, 4 months ago

I'm not at all convinced that I want parents and local communities "in charge" of education.

There are large variations in intelligence and education among those groups.

It's difficult, but we need consistent standards across the country, as others have mentioned. Who defines those, and how they're measured aren't easy to answer, but it's the only way to go.

average 1 year, 4 months ago

We have a directly-elected state Board of Education. They're in the state constitution. Can the legislature just butt out a tiny bit and let them do their elected job?