LJWorld.com weblogs Statehouse Live

Brownback issues same reconciliation week news release

For the second year in a row, Gov. Sam Brownback has issued a proclamation declaring Thanksgiving week as a "Week of Reconciliation."

In fact, his office issued the exact news release from last year.

In the release from 2011 and today, Brownback said, “As we gather with our family and friends to give thanks for our many blessings, I encourage Kansans to take time to reconcile with others by owning and admitting to past failures and wrongs."

He added, “Mahatma Gandhi said: ‘Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong.' When past wrongs are admitted and reconciliation is sought, a stronger relationship can be forged for the future.”

Comments

Steve Bunch 2 years ago

Because I'm neither family nor friend, I reckon I won't be getting any admission of past failures and wrongs from Sam.

Ralph Gage 2 years ago

Reminds me of when KU Chancellor Laurence Chalmers gave the same talk at two consecutive graduations. Didn't do it a third time! LOL!!

cowboy 2 years ago

Never heard of this , is this some muslim ritual ?

Katara 2 years ago

George Dugger 2 years ago

I forgive and seek reconciliation with the Governor for his plagiarism of the 2011 release.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 2 years ago

For narcissists like Brownback, reconciliation is what everyone else does.

FloridaSunshine 2 years ago

Hi tange...(would LOVE to know how your new avatar came into being and why!)... :~)

We Christians certainly are unlike Christ!! It would be very strange...in fact, impossible, if we were just like Him. (By saying, "we Christians", I am not indicating that you are a Christian, tange. I only know you are one of the most decent commenters on LJW!) When I am retiring each night, going over my day, I find there is always something I could have done differently, or said in a more gentle way...and the list goes on.

I have heard the last quote (in your post) from Mahatma Gandhi a thousand times, at least, as everyone has. The few people I have met who are Hindu, seem to have the same "struggles" we Christians have...tyring to live up to one's religious values and carry those values through our day-to-day living. It's not easy...but it's worth the challenge (in my opinion). Sometimes life can be heartbreaking enough without others attacking one's belief system. So, it always gives me great heartache to read what someone (as influential as Gandhi) is saying about ALL Christians...very troublesome to say the least. I, personally, would never say such a thing to the Hindu friends I know and respect...nor even those I don't know and respect! Nor the Jewish people I love, nor any other of my varied and wonderful friends. I know nothing of Brownback's religious life, nor do I want to know. I'm sure it is of interest to you who live full time in Kansas. (No, I'm not of his political persuasion.) My post isn't about Brownback...it's about the quote from Gandhi.

I would never say what Gandhi said regarding another person's religion. It is hurtful and it is narcissistic and just plain ugly. There are too many Christians to lump them all in to one big pile and say that one doesn't like any of them. Since I can remember, when I hear this quote by Gandhi, the first thing I think is, wow, I'm so glad my Lord is the Lord of second chances. But He's the only one who really knows our hearts and whether we are truly sincere and repentant. If we are sincere, hopefully it will show in our lives.

"EVERYMAN" has his/her own belief system and whatever it is, should be treated with respect...no attacks, please. I've had enough of those on LJW!! But, then, we ALL have, right? Ahhh, the not-so-fond memories!! s-m-i-l-e

Happy Thanksgiving to all you Kansans...I'll be traveling throughout the holidays and will be with my great love in life...my little granddaughter! She lights up my heart!!

FloridaSunshine 2 years ago

I don't see a thing wrong with questioning religion and I measure every religion by the words of Jesus these days. I once was agnostic (as I have mentioned on LJW many times), but through questioning and study, found my answers. Of course, there is nothing wrong with questioning and comparative study. I suppose my main concern is, as I said, not lumping every Christian, every Jew, every whatever, together as if they are all not up to par because so many of them aren't. I think before Mahatma Gandhi made that statement he should have examined the plank in the eyes of all Hindus (and his own) before pointing out the splinter in the Christians' eyes. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

I doubt if there are many world religions that have been more scrutinized than Christianity. So, if determined by the scrutiny, I believe it is certainly "worth its salt". It is to me.

Doo dah, doo dah...wonder what will be next? :~) Have a great Thanksgiving!