LJWorld.com weblogs Statehouse Live

Petition seeks Kansas secession from the United States because of Obama's re-election

Now that the election is over, apparently a lot of people, including some in Kansas, want to secede from the United States.

As of Tuesday evening, nearly 4,600 people had signed a petition urging that the state of Kansas withdraw from the United States and create its own government.

The online secession petitions, which number about 20 so far, were prompted by the re-election of President Barack Obama. The petitions appear on a White House website called "We the People," which the administration uses to hear from people on what policies they would like to see.

If a petition gets 25,000 signatures within a month the White House staff will review the issue. Legally, the U.S. Constitution doesn't allow states to secede.

The Texas petition had reached more than 70,000 signatures but Texas Gov. Rick Perry said he doesn't support the petition.

In Kansas, Senate Minority Leader Anthony Hensley, D-Topeka, joked that maybe the petition started after Gov. Sam Brownback refused to join the federal government to put together a health insurance exchange under the Affordable Care Act.

House Minority Leader Paul Davis, D-Lawrence, said he didn't think much of the petitions. "I think we settled this issue back in the early 1860s. I don't think anyone in their right mind wants to have a secession debate," Davis said.

Comments

blindrabbit 2 years, 5 months ago

Kansans dumbing down again, just part of the Brownbackistan and TeaBagging view of our future. " Back, back, back, back in the USSR (replace with Kansas), you don't know how lucky you are".

Kat Christian 2 years, 5 months ago

WHAT? This is absurd. You won't be getting my signature or anyone in my family. What are you trying to start a revolution? Can't we all just get along?

Liberty275 2 years, 5 months ago

I can answer two ways. One answer is that you are right. I can sit down, have a beer and hang out with people from every political bent, from the far-far left and the right of the tea party.

The other way isn't so nice. Divisions within our society have vastly different ideas regarding our governance. People take those beliefs as truths and don't like the other guy's truth at all. Unlike Europe, we share a nationality of thousands of cultures. Each culture has a belief, and those beliefs are protected. Lots of beliefs lead to a diverse population, but where those societies overlap and especially in national politics, people will disagree and fight for their answer.

We will never get along, and that's what makes us great. When they fight, they leave us alone.

ksgungrl 2 years, 5 months ago

Why can't we all just get along? I am so tired of hearing this inane question. I'll tell you why we can't "get along"----because the ALL of us are not "just getting"-----we are DOING! AND TIRED OF DOING FOR THOSE GETTING [without doing]. Once EVERYONE pays their FAIR SHARE to our beloved government, then I believe we can all "just get along"---until then, the division between the MAKERS & the TAKERS will exist.

deec 2 years, 5 months ago

It's ironic that your response to an "inane question" is fraught with even more inane buzz words and distorted conservative talking points.

msezdsit 2 years, 5 months ago

until then, the division between the MAKERS & the TAKERS will exist.

As long as this myth continues we will not get along. This is the propaganda you babies choose to anchor yourselves to because the truth doesn't serve your arrogant self serving deeply flawed ideology which is the REAL problem. Just blame it on someone else because your a loser by definition. You lost the election get over it and grow up.

fiddleback 2 years, 5 months ago

Wow, ksgungrl.

No need to titillate me with sexy ALL CAPS about MAKERS & TAKERS, you saucy minx. There's only one vowel in that lovely handle of yours, and you used it for gun. I think I'm in love...

newmedia 2 years, 5 months ago

Just one of 20 something other states trying the same thing. No news here...

overthemoon 2 years, 5 months ago

States aren't doing this. Its individuals who have lost touch with reality.

ksgungrl 2 years, 5 months ago

No; these individual are the realistic ones. The REAL ones working hard each and every day to support their families without government assistance. The REAL ones who are following the laws and rules of our country and not cheating the people of this country. The REAL ones still paying our required TAXES to a government that doesn't represent us. The REAL ones contributing to charities and going without so others who are stealing from us can continue to stay at home with their children and collect food stamps, WIC, disability, et.al. It is time others to GET REAL!

Armored_One 2 years, 5 months ago

SO we can safely assume that if you were to find yourself in a position where you needed said support, you'd gladly refuse it? Granted, I already know your answer, so don't bother with the lie. Granted, also not really expecting you to answer, either, so I suppose it's moot.

defensehawk 2 years, 5 months ago

you are too funny, ms holier than thou, ksgungrl. I work a minimum of 40 hours a week,pay my taxes,contribute to charities and wouldn't sign that petition if you put a gun to my head. yes,there are people that take advantage of the system but not ALL of the people receiving assistance are "cheating" or "stealing". i hope you and your family never need any assistance because then i guess you would be one of those 'cheaters" too.

Liberty275 2 years, 5 months ago

The really sad ones forget reality exists only between neurons in the brain.

Pepe 2 years, 5 months ago

There are about 20 states doing this. Mostly red states, but there are a few "blues" -- Oregon, New York, and New Jersey.

This is a bad idea but it is a good indication of how polarized some people are nowadays.

beatrice 2 years, 5 months ago

It is actually a better indication of how spoiled we are nowadays. As soon as something doesn't go our way, we throw a hissy fit and act like children. Pathetic.

ksgungrl 2 years, 5 months ago

You are so right, Beatrice! We have become a spoiled nation. And just wait; when those of us who are now carrying this country monetarily can no longer afford to do so, the whining from the liberal TAKERS will reach an all time high. Get your earplugs, folks!

jafs 2 years, 5 months ago

Please point to anything in her post that would indicate any interest in violence.

blindrabbit 2 years, 5 months ago

Some Karl Rove, Dick Morris, Rush Limburger concept! Trying to stave off and distract from any further embarrassment from their election night predictions.

overthemoon 2 years, 5 months ago

People just don't think things through very well. And I guess they haven't heard the news that Fox has been lying to them and everything they believe about everything is wrong. Poor suckers, they've been used.

GMSkarka 2 years, 5 months ago

Non-issue. 3000 nutjobs out of a state population of 2.8 million or so. That's pretty much what you'd expect in the nutjob / non-nutjob ratio.

The media is running with this story, pointing out that 100,000 people in 22 states have started those petitions -- presenting it as if the States themselves are petitioning, despite the fact that it's a handful of folks, solidly within the nutjob ratio, nationally.

rcg928 2 years, 5 months ago

Thanks for pointing this out. It's a really good point. I am in the process of relocating to Kansas from Oregon and my initial reaction to this article was fear/shock/uncertainty.

But then I took the time to do the math on the actual amount of citizens over 18 that have signed these petitions and for Texas and Oregon both it is .3% and for Kansas it is .1%. It would be silly to get up in arms about anything that .3% of the adult population is doing.

Texas is also a really bad example of a desire to secede from the union having anything to do with the current administration. Honestly, 20-25% of their adult population has wanted to secede for the last couple of decades. If anything, many Texans are probably holding back from signing this petition to distance themselves from any notion that this desire is connected to Barack Obama specifically.

Well, I hope that’s all correct anyway. I’m super stoked about moving to Kansas, but I don’t want to live in a foreign country! :)

Bob_Loblaw 2 years, 5 months ago

It must be one hell of a job you have lined up here......I've lived here more than other state so far (born and raised here too), but if a better job came around in almost any other state....I would bolt for the border. Lawrence is the only saving grace for this Brownback wasteland.

chootspa 2 years, 5 months ago

I'm somewhat pickier in the states I'd move to, but Oregon is definitely on that list.

rcg928 2 years, 5 months ago

Yes! Oregon is an awesome and beautiful state. I grew up in the Southwest Desert and spent the last decade in the enchanting Northwest Rainy Woodland. Now , I am ready to experience the heartland for a few years. I have a few friends in Lawrence, but no job. Oy, hope that changes when I get there.

In spite of the many puzzled looks I'm getting from friends here in Portland, I am SO looking forward to getting know people from other areas of the country. Besides living in Lawrence, I can't wait. Also to roadtrip into the surrounding states and experience the landscape that produced so many heroes of mine - Bob Dylan, Malcolm X, Joel Salatin, Bill Clinton. Granted no one I can think of that is from Kansas, but the midwest/southern region of the country is a great shaper of character. I can't wait to be a part of that (and actually know enough about Kansas history to have a hero from there too eh?)

chootspa 2 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, sorry. Unless you're moving to Lawrence or you lived in a small conservative town in Oregon, you're moving to a foreign country. You're also saying goodbye to mountains, forests, oceans, and reasonable temperatures.

rcg928 2 years, 5 months ago

Ha! Yes, I'm moving to Lawrence. I agree, I might not enjoy other cities as much. I'm coming from Portland, but I know what I'm gettin myself into.

Oregon is ridiculously beautiful for sure, but so is Northeastern Kansas.

kuguardgrl13 2 years, 5 months ago

Lawrence is awesome, and you're close to Kansas City for culture and sports :)

ksgungrl 2 years, 5 months ago

If you don't want to live in a foreign country---better leave the USA! That is where we are headed and I don't see it easing up until we stop with the free handouts.

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 2 years, 5 months ago

This doesn't make sense gungorilla. If I don't want to live in a foreign country I stay in the USA. If I want to live in a foreign country I leave the USA. I believe you're confused.

rcg928 2 years, 5 months ago

Yes ma'am, I don't believe America can ever become a foriegn country for me as I am a citizen of the U.S. Not sure what you mean by "foriegn," but my xenophobe radar is beeping and flashing, flashing and beeping.

Which state has 200,000 signatures on their petition? Would you site a source please? Parenthetically, it isn't Texas which has just under 99,000 or about half a percent of of it's adult population. https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petitions

ksgungrl 2 years, 5 months ago

You,ve got the number wrong; over 200,00 people are petitioning in at least one state and the number is rising. I guess it all depends if you are a maker or a taker.

Scott Tichenor 2 years, 5 months ago

I say they can all congregate in the southwest corner of Kansas with their massive gas and oil reserves and build their little castles to the sky. Just make sure we don't allow them visas to enter the rest of the state.

ksgungrl 2 years, 5 months ago

Visas? Who needs a visa. Our country apparently supports AMNESTY!

deec 2 years, 5 months ago

"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free; The wretched refuse of your teeming shore, Send these, the homeless, Tempest-tossed to me I lift my lamp beside the golden door!

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame, With conquering limbs astride from land to land; Here at our sea-washed sunset gates shall stand A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame is the imprisoned lightning, And her name, Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand glows world-wide welcome; Her mild eyes command the air-bridged harbor That twin cities frame. "Keep, Ancient Lands, your storied pomp!" Cries she with silent lips.

Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free; The wretched refuse of your teeming shore, Send these, the homeless, Tempest-tossed to me I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

appleaday 2 years, 5 months ago

Make them show their papers if they do dare to cross the border.

Smarmy_Schoolmarm 2 years, 5 months ago

If we could just get one specific person to withdraw maybe we could get our State government back.

Amy Heeter 2 years, 5 months ago

How stupid. Go ahead write your name to be submitted, then clean out your drug stash because the FBI is going to be watching you. What a lot of morons.

ksgungrl 2 years, 5 months ago

I thought people came to this country so they wouldn't have to be ruled by a tyrannical government. Your statement about the "FBI is going to be watching you" is a very sad one; we shouldn't have to look over our shoulders and be concerned about our beliefs. Remember...FREEDOM of speech. We must not let our freedoms be taken away from us or we will have nothing!

akuna 2 years, 5 months ago

I agree. We need to repeal the Republican led Patriot Act. President Obama should never have extended this FREEDOM LIMITING piece of REPUBLICAN legislation.

Mark Currie 2 years, 5 months ago

We,,, I don't like Bronco, but I don't think I am ready to give up on the USA just because someone I don't like got elected president.

ksgungrl 2 years, 5 months ago

The "USA" is not supporting the ideas and principles established by the Founding Fathers. Our schools need to educate our children about the content of the Constitution of the United States of America.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 5 months ago

This is what we get for "teaching to the test" instead of teaching "critical thinking skills".

John Kyle 2 years, 5 months ago

Looking at the petition it is clear that most of the people are not even from Kansas. They probably signed all the petitions that are on there about succession.

In_God_we_trust 2 years, 5 months ago

This is a public statement and vote of no confidence by many in the country to show the President and socialist thinking voters that they have pushed and severely divided this country with their extreme, liberal, anti-American views. They have pushed the political envelope too far left, way too far in a liberal direction by re-electing the socialist President Obama which is extreme left. Hopefully the liberals in Lawrence and around the country will be intelligent and educated enough to recognize the need to tone down their rhetoric and use good sense in trying to mend the void and division that they helped to create in this country and work toward a better balance.

mom_of_three 2 years, 5 months ago

"a vote of no confidence by many?" I dont think 1-3% constitutes "many"

beatrice 2 years, 5 months ago

What void and division? Americans have spoken and re-elected President Obama. Continue to ignore it all you want. Trying to divorce yourself from what the nation wants means YOU and your kind are the ones responsible for the division in our nation. YOU and your kind are the ones who need to temper your rhetoric. President Obama and the rest of America are doing just fine, hence the election results.

tomatogrower 2 years, 5 months ago

Not to mention the stupid lies. I'm calling everyone on their lies all of the time.

bd 2 years, 5 months ago

The pres gets 10 million less vots than in 2008 and has 47 % vote against him???? Our nation is divided!-That is the election results!

beatrice 2 years, 5 months ago

We had an election, and sometimes elections are close. This one was about the same number of voters separating the two candidates than in the last election, and a greater margin of victory than experienced by Bush. That doesn't mean we are truly divided, only that we have a two party system. With the way parties market themselves, it does become a bit like a coin flip, landing at roughly 50-50.

Would we really be better off if everyone followed in lock-step behind one party or the other?

jafs 2 years, 5 months ago

I think it does mean we are divided, given the differences in philosophy between the two "sides".

The fact that elections have been close for some time indicates to me that it's a divide that isn't going away anytime soon.

myparcelisseceding 2 years, 5 months ago

many? wrong. Maybe use something more appropriate. Try "a small fraction of a minority". The Majority has spoken.

elliottaw 2 years, 5 months ago

You have serious mental problem, pease don't have or spend time around children

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 5 months ago

This guy makes me think of the woman who said Obama was a Muslim, a member of Jeremiah Wright's (Christian) church and an atheist. All in one breath.

deec 2 years, 5 months ago

I wonder if anyone named Kevin G. or Tom S. signed the petition?:

Bob_Keeshan 2 years, 5 months ago

Those folks signing the petition are hereby asked to leave.

Not by me, but by Kris Kobach:

More broadly, Kobach says Kansans who disagree with the state’s tilt are free to leave.

“Americans can vote with their feet,” he said, “and choose a state that reflects their values and the way of life they’d like to enjoy.

“If a person wants to live in a San Francisco lifestyle, they can go there. If they want to live a Kansas lifestyle, they can come here.”

Jean Robart 2 years, 5 months ago

That is why I'm moving to Kentucky next spring. 13 years in Kansas is enough.

FriendlyFire 2 years, 5 months ago

Ha! This is rich. If they're going to secede they better be thorough and burn it all to the ground first. You don’t get credit if you just co-opt the infrastructure your former government built for you.

gogoplata 2 years, 5 months ago

Where did your fair god-government get that money?

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 5 months ago

Almost all of the states that have individuals petitioning to secede are red states that receive more Federal money than they pay in Federal taxes (and this includes Kansas). I think it's quite reasonable ask for it back :P

gogoplata 2 years, 5 months ago

I think its quite reasonable that we give it all back to the native americans but we both know thats not going to happen.

parrothead8 2 years, 5 months ago

I didn't think there were 70,000 people on the entire planet dumber than Rick Perry. It's kind of disturbing that they all live in the same state. Maybe we SHOULD let them secede.

beatrice 2 years, 5 months ago

United We Stand... except when Republicans lose an election.

Do we need any more proof of exactly why the Republicans lost? They have extremist ideals and now that they lost another national election they act like spoiled children who are have stayed up past their bedtime. Boo hoo.

If they want to win elections, then they need to offer us better candidates and stop dismissing half of the nation.

Now, if the Republicans won't join the rest of the nation in moving forward to fix the problems they helped create, I wish they would at least have the courtesy of getting out of the way and allowing the adults to keep working hard to better our country.

Anthony Mall 2 years, 5 months ago

Guess you were blind for the first two years of obama... Both houses = nothing done, and having his own party not support him!!! to only blame republicans is irresponsible and not factual... Obama had to threaten members of his own party to pass a healthcare bill that the majority of citizens don't want!!!

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 5 months ago

I think you need a "reality_check". Obama only had a super majority for something like 42 days. Lotsa time to shovel through hundreds of bills, huh?

beatrice 2 years, 5 months ago

um ... well, he did keep us from falling into another Depression. I'm surprised you find that to be "nothing done." He also supported the American auto industry and kept it from collapsing. That sure is doing something. He also ... well, he did much more. No need to redebate this past election.

I would point out, however, that Romney made it very clear that he would do everything possible to end Obamacare and the people voted to re-elect Obama. This indicates your notion of what the majority of citizens wants is askew.

And what do you say when Speaker Boehner threatens his members to support legislation?

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 5 months ago

Babboy, I love you. Can I have your babies? (Oh, and I will teach them to spell.)

JayCat_67 2 years, 5 months ago

Actually, Obama beat McCain (often referred to as the second second Bush) and Romney, but your point is taken.

Liberty275 2 years, 5 months ago

It would be foolish to secede unless you have an open-water coast and are able to build a port.

blindrabbit 2 years, 5 months ago

Texas wanting to leave, they did this once during the Civil War, The Union kicked their arses and took them back in with thier tail between their legs. By the way, Texas are proud of their history and legacy, but more than a bit nutty besides.

nikinana123 2 years, 5 months ago

I wish republicans would stop being such babies and learn to be a good sport.

mom_of_three 2 years, 5 months ago

yes, Kansas would be surrounded and no invading force except for those around us. Missouri raided us before...they could do it again.

jafs 2 years, 5 months ago

In what universe do you imagine the KS legislature voting to legalize marijuana?

beatrice 2 years, 5 months ago

Amsterdam? Sure a separate Kansas nation wouldn't be more like the Creation Museum of the Americas?

Liberty275 2 years, 5 months ago

We'd be invaded by hippies. Which wouldn't be bad if they were all hippy girls.

Jean Robart 2 years, 5 months ago

At least we're not blindly following an ideology and an individual that has not worked over the long run in history.

kernal 2 years, 5 months ago

Charge them with Seditious Conspiracy and seize their property as payment for airlifting them to the "We Hate the U.S." country of the week. Idiots.

Niknana123, let's not play the Tea Partiers game and lump all Republicans in the same category as the wing nuts.

gogoplata 2 years, 5 months ago

I wonder if the comments from citizens of Great Britain were similar to these when news came of the Declaration of Independence?

HutchSaltHawk 2 years, 5 months ago

Maybe Lawrence/Douglas County should consider secession from the State!

topekan7 2 years, 5 months ago

Here's a better petition:

We petition the Obama administration to: Strip the Citizenship from Everyone who Signed a Petition to Secede and Exile Them

Mr. President, please sign an executive order such that each American citizen who signed a petition from any state to secede from the USA shall have their citizenship stripped and be peacefully deported.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 5 months ago

Actually, there is an exception to the guarantee of free speech. It's called "incitement". Look it up.

tomatogrower 2 years, 5 months ago

If they don't want to be US citizens anymore. let's ship them to Mexico. We'll even take up a collection to pay their way.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 5 months ago

I think what worries me about stuff like this is, how many of these people are just doing this for a "statement" and how many of them are truly serious? I also wonder if they realize that we have this thing called, "The Department of Homeland Security"? It's going to be a hoot how many of the people that sign these petitions end up on the "watch list".

deec 2 years, 5 months ago

Could you post the memo about all the alleged havoc liberals were supposed to be planning? I didn't get my copy.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 5 months ago

And just what were "Libs planing" (sic) to do? Because apparently, I didn't get that page in my playbook.

kernal 2 years, 5 months ago

Gee, justfornow, a Republican told me that's what the Republicans would do when Obama was elected. You must be sorely disappointed the Liberals haven't done that.

dwendel 2 years, 5 months ago

It thought it was pretty funny when you were sharing your little pre-election wet dream of Romney by a landslide, followed by libs rioting, and Romney sending in the National Guard to shoot them all (they do swear in the new guy on election eve, right?). How's that working out for ya?

gogoplata 2 years, 5 months ago

The right of a state to secede from a voluntary union sounds like liberty to me not treason.

gogoplata 2 years, 5 months ago

How many pro choice people are coming out against a states right to choose.

question4u 2 years, 5 months ago

Talk of secession is just another self-inflicted wound on the Republican party. When will those on the radical right wake up? They can claim until they're red in the face that there's nothing racist about endorsing the tactics of the Confederacy to protest a black president, but it's not themselves that they need to convince. The Republican party scares the heck out of most minorities – and, at the moment, it should.

There will never be another Republican president if the party can't find a way to win over minority, especially Hispanic, voters. Even at the state level, the party has to get mental midgets like Virgil "murder 'em from helicopters" Peck and Connie "I can tell an immigrant by the olive complexion" O'Brien to keep their face holes shut, or better yet prevent them from getting into office in the first place. If the Tea-Party Joe in the street doesn't see openly racist Republicans in office then maybe he won't be so quick to do things like try to turn the clock back to 1861.

Secession? Just keep shooting yourself in the foot.

gogoplata 2 years, 5 months ago

It isn't like there is much difference between republicans and democrats on things that really matter. The majority are all liars, cheats, and warmongers. Sure the republicans suck but no worse than the democrats. I didn't see Obama close down guantamo, end the bombing, refuse to sign the NDAA, etc. He is a liar just like all the rest. Whichever party can successfully manipulate ignorant people through fear or handouts or both will win elections.

Mark Pickerel 2 years, 5 months ago

No petition needed. It is already happening in Brownbackistan.

grammaddy 2 years, 5 months ago

This isn't the first time I've seen this happen. Didn't Rick Perry try this a few years ago. Hilarious. Texas would be bankrupt and a part of Mexico within 3 years. Then we could finish that wall.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 5 months ago

What a hoot! How can they do it when they can't even spell it? These whack jobs would trip on their shoelaces going out the door.
(On the other hand, if they really want to "secdee" I'm all for it. Have no idea what it is but it sounds kinky enough it could be fun.)

Ryan Wood 2 years, 5 months ago

A 3rd world country right in the middle of the United States would be kind of weird.

Ryan Wood 2 years, 5 months ago

Take a visit to a real 3rd world country and you will realize how completely absurd and embarrassing your comment is. Get some perspective.

cowboy 2 years, 5 months ago

“The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.” Bertrand Russell

beatrice 2 years, 5 months ago

This was just sent to me. More reaction to the election: It all makes sense now. Gay marriage and marijuana being legalized the same day.

Leviticus 20:13 - "If a man lays with another man he should be stoned."

We've just been interpreting it wrong all these years.

jafs 2 years, 5 months ago

That's great - I actually laughed out loud :-)

oldbaldguy 2 years, 5 months ago

Tried once before, we all know how that turned out. This is a very good way to get on an FBI or Army Counter Intelligence watch list. Brings back the 60's and 70's to me. We as in the Army used to keep lists like this. I suspect with the Patriot Act, it would not be hard to get on a list with somebody and your business becomes someone else's.

clovis_sangrail 2 years, 5 months ago

I rather liked this petition on that same site --

Peacefully grant the city of Austin Texas to withdraw from the state of Texas & remain part of the United States.

Austin Texas continues to suffer difficulties stemming from the lack of civil, religious, and political freedoms imposed upon the city by less liberally minded Texans. It is entirely feasible for Austin to operate as its own state, within the United States, in the event that Texas is successful in the current bid to secede. It is important for Austin to remain in the union as to do so would protect it's citizens' standard of living and re-secure their rights and liberties in accordance with the original ideas and beliefs of our founding fathers.

We would also like to annex Dublin Texas, Lockhart Texas, & Shiner Texas.

JayCat_67 2 years, 5 months ago

It would also make sure that the Longhorns would be able to continue playing football against teams outside Texas. Gotta make sure our priorities are straight.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 5 months ago

On a more sober note, I want to share something written by a woman who is currently serving in the military.
"Apparently, rebellion is in the air. There are individual citizens petitioning to secede from the Union. That is...ill-advised at best. We have only come this far as a Union. We have put men on the moon, as a Union. We have sent a rover to the planet of Mars, as a Union. Our only success has been as a Union. I will not stand before you and say (or type, to be literal) that things are stable as they are. In truth, as we all know, they are not. Our government has been corrupted, and not just for the past few terms. The seed of destruction began at our country's inception. It always does. Weeds and grass grow simultaneously. This is not a new concept. We fear our voices are not being heard, and THAT. Is. True. However, rebellion is NOT the answer. Our founding fathers sent representative after representative to Great Britain, pleading for intervention. Only after those multitudinous efforts failed did they draft the Declaration of Independence. Rally your voices, speak your mind, we CAN CHANGE what is without sundering our Union as a whole. We DO have enemies. They respect us as a whole and leave us untouched. If we fracture, we take the risk of dissolving entirely. These are not the rantings of fear-mongerers. This. Is. Fact. No Secession. No Civil War. Progression. Outcry. Change. We have the numbers, the message, and the will to succeed. Steel your hearts, open your minds and your voices, do not delude yourself into thinking that dissolving our great nation is the answer. America. For the People. Of the People. By the People. Times have changed, so must we. Change can be bought with words, not blood. Do not damn the youth of our nation because of fear. Do not spill soldier's blood in the streets because of anger. Arise, America, and alter your nation."
-----Eva Anderson-----

gogoplata 2 years, 5 months ago

Why couldn't secession be peaceful. I looked at the petitions and most of the ones I read were calling for a peaceful secession.

msezdsit 2 years, 5 months ago

These people should try sitting in a corner and holding their breath. Or maybe lying on the floor and kicking and screaming until they get their way. These are the people who push all the radical right wing agenda that pretty much got sent home on election day. They can't be grown ups and accept defeat in the election. They demanded that their guy be president even if he did didn't win the election. They are the people who have posted that if I didn't like their america I could just move. Well, maybe its time for them to move. I look at the bright side of this spectacle they are engaged in. At least we have lists of who these blithering idiots are and we could use it to try to avoid them. Maybe we could get a mass mailing of binkies and send each one of them one in their favorite color.

deec 2 years, 5 months ago

It's interesting that a lot of the states that have people participating in this protest receive more tax dollars than they pay in. A lot of those states are also red states.

sarahinez 2 years, 5 months ago

When I lived in Kansas, 1984-92, I heard about its greatest heroine, "Mother" Mary Bickerdyke who served as nurse in the Civil War and led a group in the Grand Review in Washington. They were proud to have preserved the Union.

How sad my friends there must be.

heavytone 2 years, 5 months ago

AAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Never gonna happen. Go lay down by your dish now.

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 5 months ago

We need to go back to the ORIGINAL motto of the USA; E Pluribus Unum.

Liberty275 2 years, 5 months ago

I can sum those two posts up as "you kids do what you want, but stay off my lawn". Squished together, you sound like libertarians. Like chocolate and peanut butter.

doolindalton 2 years, 5 months ago

What a wonderful idea. Kansas isn't going to have enough money to fund our own school system in the next five years, much less our own army, social security and medicare system. But what the heck, who needs that stuff, anyway?

beatrice 2 years, 5 months ago

Hey rockchalk, you still around?

Hey, did you notice that your hundreds of predictions here about Romney winning were all wrong? I did.

What was that? Gallup? Rasmussen? hahaha

Told ya so.

jafs 2 years, 5 months ago

Wow.

You just can't stand it, huh?

Obama was "elected", for the second time, by our system in which eligible citizens have the right to vote.

See the chart about how most of the states that get more from the feds than they contribute are actually red states.

Brian Chilcoat 2 years, 5 months ago

Doolindalton, If we were allowed to retain more of our own revenue, perhaps we would have a shot at funding our own schools. But what the hell, people in DC know what is better for us anyway. So keep on the same path, soon none of us will have anything that is not first approved by the feds.

deec 2 years, 5 months ago

Kansas got 24.6 billion more back from the federal government than they paid in from 1990-2009..

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 5 months ago

Give it up, deec. The very first state these people live in, and the one to which they give most loyalty, is the state of denial.

Jean Robart 2 years, 5 months ago

At least it gives people a tangible and most notable way of protesting. Beats rioting in the streets, suing the government for election fraud, etc.

Jean Robart 2 years, 5 months ago

It is a visible way of lodging protest at what this country has sadly become. It beats rioting in the streets, and suing because a few precincts didn't vote the way we wanted them to.

In_God_we_trust 2 years, 5 months ago

I doubt that the actual threat of succession is very real. But like you said, it tends to lodge a protest. I would not like to see Texas head that way, because most people still like to drive their cars. Most of the oil comes from Texas. I don't think that Kansas needs to worry about anything. But it is still a good idea for everyone to try to get along and quit slamming each other, but rather treat each other with respect to stop the strife and pursue peace with one another if possible.

deec 2 years, 5 months ago

It is a safe way to protest from the comfort, warmth and security of their own homes. If they were serious, they'd be out in the streets getting beaten and pepper-sprayed and enduring the elements like the Occupy protesters did a year ago. Or they could emulate the Arab Spring folks. Or even the Europeans who understand the true cause of the economic misery in the world.

SnakeFist 2 years, 5 months ago

If it makes you conservatives feel any better, we felt the same way under Bush. Don't worry, it'll pass.

fiddleback 2 years, 5 months ago

We just threatened to move to Canada, as we're not so arrogant as to assume we can foment another Civil War...

blindrabbit 2 years, 5 months ago

Secede, here's an idea! Austin,Texas has the same problem as Lawrence, Kansas. The only logical, sane and progressive cities in an otherwise nutty states. Remember Smilin Sam attended one of Rick Perry's god dogma prayer meetings early in the GOP primary mass suicide process, must be joined at the arses.

John Hamm 2 years, 5 months ago

There's something wrong about these 'petitions.' They're up for a number of states BUT you must login (and register) at whitehouse.gov (the President's official site). Might be an easy way to make a "watch" list. If I remember correctly most, if not all, are Red states.....

tomatogrower 2 years, 5 months ago

It's funny. A lot of Republican states receive more money in federal dollars than they pay in taxes. If they seceded, they would have to raise their state income tax. What a bunch of morons.

Lawrence Morgan 2 years, 5 months ago

What makes you think that the people who want to secede, once they have their own state, could then get along with each other???

kuguardgrl13 2 years, 5 months ago

The thought of a successful secession for Kansas is hysterical. I don't think the feds would let the prison in Leavenworth be roped into a separate country. We could form the new state of East Kansas or Wakarusa with Douglas County, Wyandotte, and Leavenworth. We could even go out as far as Sedgwick and grab the whole eastern half of the state with all the money and most of the universities. Fort Hays State is kinda stuck, unfortunately.

But in all seriousness, I don't think the government will let secession happen. The congressmen for all these states don't seem to like the idea.

beatrice 2 years, 5 months ago

We had Arab Spring, so why not Republican Winter.

Maybe we can designate a section of land to set up a reservation where all the sad, radical conservatives can live. They can huddle together, enforce rape baby births, have no taxes and no centralized government, and they can dream of winning elections while only carrying the white male vote. It seems like a reasonable solution for disappointed regressives.

Of course, we will have to build a large fence to keep them in. Time to build the dang fence.

msezdsit 2 years, 5 months ago

Isn't it ironic that these are the people who want to fence in all our borders and it turns out they are the one's who need to be fenced. How often is it that ones that are doing the complaining are exactly what they are complaining about.

tomatogrower 2 years, 5 months ago

What will the farmers do without subsidies? And there is still some oil out there. What would they do without their subsidies?

beatrice 2 years, 5 months ago

An on-line petition isn't worth the paper it isn't printed on.

Leslie Swearingen 2 years, 5 months ago

This is the worst comment I have ever read. It is incredibly smug and self-righteous. I am a fat, single mom who made the choice to be such and I want to tell you that single mom families are just as happy as two parent families. Happiness is not dependent on race, gender, age, or any other statistic. It is what you make out of what you have.

Liberty275 2 years, 5 months ago

That would be an acceptable way of starting another civil war. I think should do a petition and get a pretty girl to do a youtube video.

grammaddy 2 years, 5 months ago

Round up all the petitioners and ship them out. Unemployment solved.

jafs 2 years, 5 months ago

I did.

There's an interesting part about how it might be ok with consent of the states.

I take that to mean that if we all agreed, an individual state could secede - is that how you understand it?

headdoctor 2 years, 5 months ago

With all the out of state people that have signed the petition it would seem that there really isn't that many Kansans wanting out of the union. It is people in other states wanting Kansas gone. They probably figure the average IQ of the union will go up a few points if Kansas isn't included.

gogoplata 2 years, 5 months ago

All 50 states now have petitions to secede.

blindrabbit 2 years, 5 months ago

Starlight: Want to add to your listing: Nearly 100% of the meth labs are located in the deniers Red States, with the capital somewhere in mid-Missouri .Add moonshine and Rush to serve as the distributor of Oxy, Beck to lead the chapter of AA and Senator Vitter to champion the Southern Prostitution Industry.

jonas_opines 2 years, 5 months ago

I suppose the original (typical regurgitation) post could be followed by the typical, oft-linked graphic on which states pay more in tax dollars than they get back, but really that particular poster is not worth any time expenditure. It's rather like arguing with a talking-points generator.

verity 2 years, 5 months ago

I seem to recall from my history lessons that Texas won it's independence from Mexico and then begged to join the Union. They were not a stand alone country for nine years because they chose to be---it was because the US was in no hurry to accept them as a state.

Seems kind of ironic now.

Despite the Libertarian's wet dream, I doubt that any state would be better off seceding from the Union. However, the Union might be better off losing some of them.

gogoplata 2 years, 5 months ago

The individual states should get to decide what is best for them. BTW the federal government has gotten a bit more intrusive since Texas joined the Union.

verity 2 years, 5 months ago

Teehee!

But surely not, Cait. We all know that common sense tells us that the liberals/blues are the takers and the right/reds are the makers. No one would truly be altruistic, it's against biology.

Why are the supposed anti-socialists/communists "red." What's with that?

Even funnier, in a sad sort of way, is the fact that this election is so close that it offers no mandate, yet the election of a Republican always is a mandate, even when they lose the popular vote.

2 years, 5 months ago

Just another reason for out-of-staters to think we're nuts. Sweet! No wonder we're seeing our population stagnate here, we're crazy!

Cait McKnelly 2 years, 5 months ago

By the way, does anybody else find it ironic that Spielberg's "Lincoln" is opening this weekend?

Kirk Larson 2 years, 5 months ago

I find it weird that Red Dawn is opening. Who thought that a remake of that piece of cabbage was a good idea. Conservative porn.

msezdsit 2 years, 5 months ago

I bet Saturday Night Live writers are jealous because they didn't come up with this skit first.

Kirk Larson 2 years, 5 months ago

So if it comes down to it, how does Lawrence secede from Kansas?

Charlie Bannister 2 years, 5 months ago

Hey ksgungrl are you married? If not, would you like to be? You are awesome!!