News Photos gallery

Color Run September 14, 2013

Hundreds of runners turned out to get covered in colored corn starch during the Color Run Saturday in Lawrence.

E-mail this gallery to a friend

Comments

Budgets_Smudgets 11 months, 2 weeks ago

A fun activity., but.....

Just be aware that this company's activity and run today is by a for-profit company run on a for-profit basis. The donation to the local not-for-profit (Van-Go) is just a token. Out of the $200,000 to $250,000 collected today from participants, I am guessing that that Van-Go received less than $15,000 or less than 5%.

If you want to run around and have people shoot you with colored corn-starch and pay them $40, that is just fine. Just don't think you are contributing anything meaningful to the local charity. It is all about profit to an external company.

1southernjayhawk 11 months, 2 weeks ago

troll 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I've always wondered why they ask for volunteers to help with the event, it would seem that they should make more than enough money to pay people.

Of course, you can always run in the event without registering or paying. Its not like they have any way of verifying if every runner has paid. They call that "running bandit" and its usually considered bad etiquette among runners, but I would say asking for free labor for an event bringing in hundreds of thousands of dollars in profit is pretty bad etiquette as well.

jhawk0097 11 months, 2 weeks ago

From the Color Run website:

"In 2012, The Color Run raised more than $600,000 for local and national charities. In 2013, we plan to donate at least $1 million!"

"Now the single largest event series in the nation, The Color Run is exploding since our debut event in January of 2012 and will grow from over 50 events and 600,000 participants in 2012, to over 100 events and over a million participants in 2013."

That's one dollar per participant. Assuming everyone is paying a $40 entrance fee, a whopping 2.5% is going to charity.

It's obnoxious that a for-profit company solicits volunteers and promotes charities largely to help them make money for themselves.

Garth Atchison 11 months, 2 weeks ago

How much is the city in the hole for this event? The organizers should pay for every labor hour that police and street workers spend on this fun activity. Or the runners could pay an extra amount to participate. Either way works for me.

tanaumaga 11 months, 2 weeks ago

The organizer/color run already did.

webmocker 11 months, 2 weeks ago

While the complaint office is open, the organizers should also pay for the time and fuel wasted by unsuspecting people who tried to escape downtown in their cars and ended up in gridlock.

Brandon Graham 11 months, 2 weeks ago

My name is Brandon Graham. I own two businesses downtown (Jefferson's and Papa Keno's) and I see both sides of the feedback here. We see benefit to our restaurants when this type of event happens to some degree. We also receive feedback, and see personally, that it hurts us to some degree because of the traffic challenges and road closings.

I understand where some of you are coming from with the feelings that the organization is using a charity claim to drive participation and profitiablity. At the end of the day, they are accountable for their claims by the consumer public and if they are not good folks, people will not run in their events.

They are however, making some kind of contribution to a local charity, and any amount is better than none. If they reached out to me and other business owners downtown to help raise a more substantial amount of money for something that was universal in nature to our community, I think they could position themselves better by doing that.

That being said, any event of any kind that brings focus to our city and in particular, our downtown is tough to not get behind. At least they are doing it here and not in Columbia!! I love the passion of our residents for each side of every issue and that's part of what makes this city so great. This is no different...maybe we can all work together to make the event even more locally tailored and get the organization to really make a big impact with an organization that needs assistance.

I don't know the ins and outs of the public policy component but I would guess that we have some of that built into the "cost of doing business" in the city. I can't speak to that for sure, so if there were an incremental expense to the city that is incurred and the organization that is making money off this event causes that by holding then run, then it's probably fair that they carry some of that freight.

I like having events like this in our beautiful downtown...it gets more and more people to see what we have to offer and tell other people. This is one of the most significant parts of this city's makeup and I couldn't be any more proud to be a part of itl.

overthemoon 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Spelling should be pretty basic editing practice....

Trumbull 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I suppose it is a good event. Breathing in corn starch dust in the middle of a drought just does not seem to be a good idea though. Hope nobody gets emphysema : ) Maybe they should think about throwing dyed water or something.

Beth Ennis 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I have run in this event 2 years in a row. I'm a runner who enjoys doing something fun once in a while. This run is cheap compared to a lot of other runs where more money gets donated. I have paid $185 for a run in November. For me, it is about both running and having fun. It's a plus that some money is going to go towards a local charity, but even if this run was just for profit and no money going to charity, I would still do it. I guess if you aren't a runner, you wouldn't understand that, but it made my normal Sat morning run a lot more fun and I got to spend some time running with a friend I don't get to run with except at races. For me it was a win-win.