News Photos gallery

Granite slab falls off truck, shatters at 23rd and Iowa March 31, 2011

A slab of granite fell off a flat-bed truck and into the intersection of 23rd and Iowa streets Thursday afternoon, forcing crews to close a few lanes of traffic while they cleaned up the shattered rock.

E-mail this gallery to a friend

Comments

optimist 3 years, 9 months ago

Just glad nobody was next to that truck when it cut loose.

lucky_guy 3 years, 9 months ago

someone's kitchen countertop will be a little delayed. This is good for the economy as they will have to eat out another week or two

slowplay 3 years, 9 months ago

Please secure cargo tightly. Never take anything for granite.

William Pike 3 years, 9 months ago

I was ESSEXITEd to see this. But what a TUFF break. I wonder what they SHALE to with the peices.

bangaranggerg 3 years, 9 months ago

That’s just a stone’s throw from where I live! I’ve been down that rocky road before so I know how it can sometimes feel like quicksand. I guess that it was just a rolling stone ore else just a chip off the old rock. Left the driver between a rock and a hard place though, it must have been petrifying. I almost didn’t comment but I couldn’t resist the gravity of the situation. I’d say I hit rock bottom but that’s boulder-dash. There isn’t any concrete evidence. Don’t be a crater, be an appreciator. I take any criticism of my puns as basalt on my character. Besides people who live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones. I have you by a landslide. The first few pun comments were just stepping stones. Your skills shale in comparison, you should gravel at my feet. Do you have a quarry about how I’m doing it? Well as my dear friend Holmes tells me, “It’s sedimentary, my dear Watson.” Sorry, sometimes I just crag myself up, but it actually erodes my standing with the ladies, so it’ll never make the bedrock.

ButchC 3 years, 9 months ago

Shouldn't it be "Granite slabs fall from tractor trailer"????

More than one slab of granite fell from the trailer the truck was pulling. Also, "A slab of granite fell off a flat-bed truck" is also incorrect as it wasn't a flat bed truck.

mom_of_three 3 years, 9 months ago

good thing no one was next to the truck when it fell.

Stuart Evans 3 years, 9 months ago

I thought the same thing when I was in topeka the other day. there it sits, a shell of a once great dining mecca.

Christine Anderson 3 years, 9 months ago

I can only say this as no one was hurt or killed, but thank god the slab of granite didn't turn out to be someone's gravestone! Sheesh.

Stuart Evans 3 years, 9 months ago

bad day for the driver. tickets for unsecured load? piss test coming for sure.

RoeDapple 3 years, 9 months ago

♫They'll stone you when you're riding in your car They'll stone you when you're playing you guitar Yes But I would not feel so all alone Everybody must get stoned ♫