News Photos gallery Pulse Photos gallery

Images from the Dear Lawrence photo project July 20, 2011

July 2012 update: We're once again accepting photos for the Dear Lawrence project. Scroll down to see some of the new additions.

Members of our photography staff, local photographers and all of you are invited to participate in our Dear Lawrence Community photo project. These are some of the great photos we've received so far, but there's still time to participate. Get out your old photos and your cameras and start submitting. You can do it via email to dearlawrence@ljworld.com, by posting a photo on our Facebook page wall at Facebook.com/LJWorld, or submitting an image at ljworld.com/dearlawrence.

E-mail this gallery to a friend

Comments

Benjamin Roberts 3 years, 5 months ago

This is a cool project. I think it would help my perspective if there was also a current photo of the location - a now and then.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 5 months ago

We've talked about mapping all of the photos, once we're closer to done. Do you think that would be helpful?

Heather Perry 3 years, 4 months ago

i agree i thought the pics would be next to the other. But it is a wonderful idea! I do agree a current pic along with would be great!!

overthemoon 3 years, 4 months ago

Great idea! Call the KU. Geography Dept. Sure there's some undergrad looking for a GIS project!!

outtatowntownie 3 years, 5 months ago

The one with Dennis in it is awesome. Makes me a little homesick.

joanni 3 years, 5 months ago

Dennis told me he loved me once...I used to work downtown. I will always love that time! Also, who can forget Peace Rob; he wrote a poem for one of my coworkers. It included the line "You have such pretty blue eyes, like Wild Bill Hickok."

scopi_guy 3 years, 5 months ago

I think they're all wonderful. Great idea.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 4 months ago

Actually, that's my brother on top, and I'm in the hat. But, underneath that hat, if you could see, there is a full head of hair!

lawrencekansan 3 years, 4 months ago

This is great! I hope to see more photos.

overthemoon 3 years, 4 months ago

Agree with all the 'this is awesome' comments. May be the coolest thing the Journal World has ever done. While they're all good or really good, Mike Yoder's Ice Storm on a Hot July day combo takes the cake at the moment!!

Might have to get the spousal unit to go through those 20 lbs of pics and see what we find. Might be embarrassing to old hippies who still live around here!!!

KS 3 years, 4 months ago

Love the project and I really enjoyed seeing the Red Lyon.

TheRob 3 years, 4 months ago

Phyllis Copt -- I think she was my 7th grade geography teacher.

These are really well done -- loved seeing all the photos.

Janet FitzGerald 3 years, 4 months ago

Love the project! I would also like to see before/now pics side by side. The picture of the Crossing took a chunk out of my heart, btw! What was really strange about it, was there was no one in the picture. Surely, there are pics of people in some pictures of the whole building out there. I practically lived there. Maybe, there are some on the Crossing Facebook page.

rtwngr 2 years, 10 months ago

What a terrific pictorial projedt!!! It really sparked a lot of memories for me. I wish there had been one of the "Pit" (Southern Pit BBQ) where Cottin's Hardware is now located. Sucked down a lot of suds in that establishment.

NASAguru 2 years, 6 months ago

Great Project! That must have taken alot of time to compile