News Photos gallery

Lawrence SRS public forum July 11, 2011

E-mail this gallery to a friend

Comments

Jenni Allen 3 years, 5 months ago

I was unable to attend the meeting at plymouth. I am disabled and home bound,i just heard about the closure of srs and it blew me away. why close the lawrence one,when its one of the biggest,I would lose the services cause i don't drive,brownback needs to realize that not everyone can use a computor,or have access to one. also most have no way of getting to a srs out of town.

Bob Forer 3 years, 5 months ago

Hats off to the hundreds of Lawrencians who took time away from their busy schedules to exercise the rights of democracy that are politicians are slowly eroding.

equalaccessprivacy 3 years, 5 months ago

These 21st -century "Town Hall" photos are indeed inspiring.

Richard Heckler 3 years, 5 months ago

By Doug Orr

The opponents of Social Security will stop at nothing in their long crusade to destroy the most efficient retirement system in the world. Opponents have taken two tracks to attack Social Security.

The first is to claim the system as it is will fail, and the second is to claim that privatization is a better way to provide for retirement security. The first claim was the favorite from 1935 to about 2001.Then the privatization claim became the vogue. Now the first is back on the table.

With corporations routinely defaulting on their pension promises, more and more workers must rely on their individual wealth to make up the difference. The stock market collapse at the turn of the millennium wiped out much of the financial wealth of middle class Americans, and the collapse of the housing bubble has wiped out much of their remaining wealth.

Making any cuts to Social Security now, either by raising the retirement age or cutting benefits, would have a huge impact on their remaining retirement income and are not necessary to “save the system.” In fact, to make the most of the modifications currently being proposed by Obama's commission would be the height of folly.

More info not rhetoric: http://www.dollarsandsense.org/archives/2010/0111orr.html

Lana Christie-Hayes 3 years, 5 months ago

This is the letter I sent to the governor this morning.. perhaps some of you that support this could read it with an open mind and reconsider as well!!! Governor: I am writing in opposition to the closing of the Lawrence SRS office. I feel strongly that this is absolutely NOT a solution to helping our great community or the state of Kansas, either financially or socially. Moving forward with this decision will not only hurt the entire Lawrence community, but many surrounding communities will also be effected quite adversely by the closing of the Lawrence SRS office when trying to absorb the many case loads as well. Those offices are already working beyond their own capacities. I know it is said that employees will be transferred to help with those, but we all know that is not going to be what will happen. Many employees will retire or quit, and their positions will be eliminated. There is a network of agencies in Lawrence that work together for the good of the entire community at large. SRS in Lawrence is at the center of a well functioning wheel. Spokes that go out to from the wheel are the many other social agencies, such as Bert Nash, DCCA, Cottenwood, The Community Shelter, CASA, law enforcement and the courts etc. etc., and the list goes on and on. This is the wheel that makes this wonderful community go round, and ultimately work together for the betterment of the whole.

Lana Christie-Hayes 3 years, 5 months ago

38. 1. letter to Brownback cont. pg 2 I've lived in Lawrence all my life, and have had to access services in the past. I thank God that they were there to help when I needed it, including the help with access to medical care. I now speak as an advocate for those who's voices are weak, while mine has been restored! I love Lawrence and the tight knit community that it is. I hate to see it become just another adjoining arm of Kansas City. That's the direction it seems that this move is making.. to take away our community and make it part of the "greater" Johnson County. If you care at all about the people of Lawrence and the surrounding areas, you would see that closing the SRS tears apart the very social infrastructure that makes our community so great! It seems to me that the only real "savings", according to the numbers that WERE released, is in the building rental. I agree that $300,000+ per year is astronomical, and ridiculous! I'm sure there are other options, if time is taken to seek them out, that would be much more feasible and financially responsible. A couple that have been mentioned are the empty spaces at the Tanger Mall in North Lawrence, where the DMV is, or possibly one of several schools that have been closed. Both of these are REAL solutions and I'm sure would not be that difficult to obtain at a very reasonable cost. In closing this letter I would like to respond to the comment by Mr. Seidlecki that closing these offices is like trying to "decide which child to sacrifice." That statement in itself is abhorrent, however, if that were the case, WHY would want to sacrifice the strongest, most self-reliant, and viable child? This is the "child" (Lawrence SRS) that works hard for all the children and people who need a little extra help. It is an irresponsible and ignorant decision and i implore you to reconsider. Please open your heart and mind to the Lawrence community and allow for further investigation into truly useful resolutions to this situation. I do hope you have taken the time to read and consider this letter, and I hope to be hearing that you have made a decision to listen to our cries for sensibility regarding this most critical matter. Sincerely, Lana Hayes Just another little person in Lawrence

Kyle Reed 3 years, 5 months ago

"Please open your heart and mind to the Lawrence community..."

Love that part. He should definitely do this as the Lawrence community has been so open hearted and open minded to everything that Brownback is about.

tomatogrower 3 years, 5 months ago

So you agree. He is doing this out of revenge.

gudpoynt 3 years, 5 months ago

Also, I think

Robert.Siedlecki@srs.ks.govp>Robert.Siedlecki@srs.ks.gov>

could stand to get an email or two.