Weather Photos gallery

Dense fog covers Lawrence February 16, 2011

The National Weather Service issued a dense fog advisory for Douglas County Wednesday, Feb. 16, 2011. Thick fog dropped visibility to less than a quarter of a mile and caused delays for commuters. If you have a photo of the fog to share, send it to editor@ljworld.com.

E-mail this gallery to a friend

Comments

Romans832 3 years, 6 months ago

I saw someone today wearing a Beware of the Phog t-shirt. I wondered if it was intentional or just coincidence. Yes, beware, and turn on those headlights so others can see you!

Flap Doodle 3 years, 6 months ago

All good photos, especially the one of the biker on the sidewalk.

Ronda Miller 3 years, 6 months ago

Thanks, old man. Lol. You have to be my fbook friend to view it. I did submit it to channel six though, so who knows.

Finished coffee with Carl and 'little cat feet' I presume? :)

Ronda Miller 3 years, 6 months ago

See, Autie, a double dare done did it!

Ronda Miller 3 years, 6 months ago

Hehehe, Roe. I've never taken good photos before. Wait a minute, maybe they meant when I was the subject.

Those last submissions are great, too. I love those first two Yoder shots and really love Erin's photo. Okay, they're all lovely.

Erin Graham 3 years, 6 months ago

Thanks Rhonda! (I'm that Erin, old last name.) I've got some others, but it took longer than my 4-mo old's disposition would allow to upload that one! :o)

I really like how you used that pine in the middle of your shot!!!

Ronda Miller 3 years, 6 months ago

Erin, you're quite welcome. Thank your four month old for allowing that one! :)

I've heard rumors of another foggy start to Thursday morning, so we may have another 'shot' at it. Mine was just looking outside in my back yard and I lucked out. Sometimes I actually have luck. Lol

Tell us about your shot. It actually looks as though it's taken through a frosted window. Nice.

Curtis Lange 3 years, 6 months ago

The fog shouldn't be an issue Thursday morning. The wind speeds are going to be too high for the fog to form like it did Tues night/Wed morning.

Ronda Miller 3 years, 6 months ago

Thanks, Curtis. Some of us fog loving people were mighty disappointed! You know your weather, man. :^)

Erin Graham 3 years, 6 months ago

Oh wow! You've got some great trees then!! I bet that provides lots of good photo ops. My back yard isn't that pretty!

My husband and I drove out to campus, in hopes to re-create a shot I'd taken 3 years ago- but now with a camera that's less than a decade old! The fog was too dense for that particular shot, so we drove around to see if anything else was photo-worthy.
This shot was taken by the Camponille around midnight. 49mm, F/5.6, Exposure 1/10", ISO-800. If your camera can let light in other ways without too much noise, you don't need a long exposure at all and may be able to do without a tripod. (I used one and would recommend having one with you, though, just in case. But if you're like me most of the time and leave it at home but bring your camera everywhere, you can still get a good shot.)

There are Great photo ops all around campus as well as downtown, with night fog. I bet some of the city parks would be great, too!

I hope your sources are right!!! I loooove what fog can do to a scene and few things are more relaxing than shooting in the fog.

Ronda Miller 3 years, 6 months ago

Erin, I'm ashamed to admit your in-depth skills, knowledge, and advice are wasted on me. I took my shot with my iPhone. I've actually never had a camera to speak of, but I do feel the iPhone does a surprisingly good job.

I am fortunate in that I have terrific inspiration surrounding me.

What was your light source?

Erin Graham 3 years, 6 months ago

You're kidding!! Heck, I figured I wasn't getting technical enough for you- that looks like it was diligently set up and taken with some kind of fancy-schmacy dslr! I am really amazed! I've got a couple of friends that, in the past week or so, have shown me photos that they later said were taken with their iPhones. I can't believe what it can do (I'm not cool enough to own one for myself, so I'm living in the dark ages lol)

Ronda Miller 3 years, 6 months ago

Lol. No, true enough. And you're not living in the dark ages, Erin, dark room ages maybe.

Isn't it an atrocity to have knowledge, patience, dedication, skill and then some dippy iPhone user comes along and gets a decent shot. I'm rather ashamed mine is even in the mix - but not ashamed enough to ask it be removed. Hehehe.

Think what I could do with the iPhone 4!!!