Previous   Next

What is your favorite way to get rid of a headache?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on March 11, 2014

Browse the archives

“Lots of water.”

“Probably an aspirin or something. Relax on the couch, watch TV. Something leisurely.”

“A Bloody Mary at The Roost.”

“Some homemade potato soup.”

Comments

Leslie Swearingen 4 months, 2 weeks ago

I watch episodes of The Walking Dead on Netflix and I realize that there are people out there who have it a lot worse than I do.

Ware the railroad tracks! Did you know that Atlanta was once called Terminus because it was a railroad hub when it was first built? Then it was called Marthasville and finally Atlanta. What does this all mean?

Ron Holzwarth 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Leslie, you're asking what does that mean? It means you got it backwards! First came the termination of the railroad, and that was called 'Terminus.' A couple years after the stake marking the location of 'Terminus' was driven, homes and a store were built. Then it was a town, you can't have a town without homes and a store, can you?

A clip from the web:
"The history of Atlanta dates back to 1836, when Georgia decided to build a railroad to the U.S. Midwest and a location was chosen to be the line's terminus. The stake marking the founding of "Terminus" was driven into the ground in 1837 (called the Zero Mile Post). In 1839 homes and a store were built there and the settlement grew."

Leslie Swearingen 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Sorry, Ron, I was asking what does all this mean to the characters in The Walking Dead. But, I do thank you for correcting me.

Looks like all the characters are going to end up walking down some railroad tracks headed towards a place called "Terminus" which is promised to be safe. It made me think of Atlanta. I am obsessed with that show.

Zero Mile Post, eh? Very interesting.

Ron Holzwarth 4 months, 2 weeks ago

As a colloquialism, headache can mean quite a few different things. They can be generalized as just about anything that irritates you, or anything that you can't seem to stop thinking about.

And sometimes, the term literally means an ache felt in the head.

I like the colloquial meanings better, because they're more fun to talk about.

My worst headache in recent years was a person who lost his driver's license due to a number of DUIs, moving violations, and car accidents. Giving him a ride to DUI court in room 13 at the courthouse in downtown Kansas City, KS was interesting for maybe the first three times. Then it became a headache.

And, it was another headache when he would not consider changing his travel requirements due to the fact that he would not be allowed to drive for a few years.

Thinking about how many years I would need to be his personal chauffeur gave me a headache.

It was a headache being his only friend in town. Later, I realized why,,,

Bailing him out of jail, now that was a huge headache.

Every time someone called and asked me if I wanted to do something, I'd have another headache. Because, I'd have to check my calender to see if he had a ride scheduled, if he did, I couldn't go.

Yet one more headache was - he only paid for part of the gas for all that driving around!

It was a big headache that for every mile I drove for me, I drove two or three for him.

Big Headache: I'd drop him off at his place, and instead of "Goodbye" or something like that, he'd say, "I'll give you a call." It took a while before I realized that the rest of the sentence was: "Next time I need a ride."

Finally, I could not take it anymore, all these rides were taking up all my time, wearing out my car, and I could not afford this! So, I placed a phone call, and left a message on an answering machine.

I wouldn't want to repeat exactly what the message was, but its meaning was very clear. That message got rid of my major headaches instantly.

Haven't seen or heard from that headache since, and that was at least a couple years ago.

Leslie Swearingen 4 months, 2 weeks ago

I think some people get so wrapped up in themselves they honestly don't notice others, just what they get out of them. Ron, I would not have hung in there as long as you did.

Elston Gunn 4 months, 2 weeks ago

What a story! And what a good guy you are, Ron. Definitely the best, maybe the only, friend that idiot had. At least your heart is in the right place.

Thomas Bryce 4 months, 2 weeks ago

My Favorite way to get rid of a Headache? Vote them out of office!